News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: STREET FIGHTER 2 DELUXE NES  (Read 108509 times)

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
Re: STREET FIGHTER 2 DELUXE NES
« Reply #440 on: March 20, 2021, 09:26:47 am »

For a guy that is an avid fan of SF and continously updated on everything regarding SF.

the fire hadouken is called as SHAKUNETSU HADOUKEN.

which is my username also. Because I used to consistently throw Shakunetsu Hadouken everytime.

The thing is that Shakunetsu Hadouken is long gone for Ryu.

There Fire Hadouken is now with Ken. In the later SF games.

And Ryu now has electric Hadouken.

SF5 and SF4 has no Shakunetsu hadouken anymore

So plain hadouken non-fire is already okay. No need to change them.

Ah, thank you very much for the correction! But not only the hadouken has a "wrong" palette (actually it's not wrong at all as you described), some of them don't look perfectly like their real counterparts, which is understandable. For example, in the original game, Bison's Psycho Crusher sets enemies on fire, but here it does nothing. Blanka's shock also doesn't eletrocutate.
Guile's Sonic Boom has the same color as the skin, and not White/Yellow/Blue like it is in some games, althrough some artworks depict him with a white Sonic Boom, so it makes sense.

I have caused confusion and delay

shakunetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 20, 2021, 12:28:31 pm »
I dont know if they can add effects or modify states when getting hit by specific moves.

What I am sure is that they could tweak color palletes so the projectile color could be fix or adjusted.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 20, 2021, 05:35:27 pm »
I think I remember that he wondered the possibility of being able to change the color of the Hadōken to its pale blue white but it was not possible. :-\

something like ken's blonde hair / head problem, without being ryu's copy

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:08:40 am by cartridge_rom »

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 20, 2021, 08:40:38 pm »
Another thing: Is it possible to add text to the post-fight screens? Stuff like, "Go home and be a family man!"? Cony's SFII had win quotes, but it was only a single one shared by everyone.

I think I remember that he wondered the possibility of being able to change the color of the Hadōken to its pale blue white but it was not possible. :-\

something like ken's blonde hair / head problem, without being ryu's copy

That image isn't showing up to me. Is this the right image?

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 21, 2021, 10:12:09 am »
Lusofonia

if that's ... from the original art, very much they look like with the 8-bit NES style manual instructions

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:18:36 am by cartridge_rom »

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 21, 2021, 08:56:30 pm »
Lusofonia

if that's ... from the original art, very much they look like with the 8-bit NES style manual instructions

I took that picture from the SF Wiki, so pretty sure it's official. Most game manuals of the time came in with pictures explaining the game, so it's not mind-blowing. These kind of images are good because they give you an idea of what something is supposed to look like, a mental image that isn't doable in pixels because of the very small space available.

shakunetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 23, 2021, 12:05:23 am »
SF never had official release on nes. Most of that official art are from snes, genesis and japanese mags

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #447 on: March 23, 2021, 02:28:36 am »
Fray
Thank you very much, it makes me very happy to know that there are so many people who liked the new designs

shakunetsu
Maybe it will be useful in the future, although at this moment it's not in my plans, anyway, they are very interesting concepts, specially for those of us who dream about developing videogames, thank you very much for the information :thumbsup:

cartridge_rom
For the moment I only have in my plans what I mentioned, on the other hand, it is important to clarify that the images are only for illustrative purposes, surely when I implement the changes in the game many things will change, either for better or for worse.

Lusofonia
As cartridge_rom commented, they had already consulted for the same thing on several occasions.
Regarding Ryu, the color of the Hadōken is in this way due to the limitations of the system, since of the four palettes available for sprites, each player must use two of these for himself, that is why this technique uses the color of the skin of this player.

In short, the Hadōken, or any projectile, shares one of the palettes assigned to the fighter to whom the technique belongs.

For that reason, in Yuu Yuu Hakusho Final, he needs to resort to flickering sprites to show a different color technique to the character.

In the Ryu/Ken case, if the other palette were used, the color of the Hadōken would depend on the color of their clothing.

Even if this is not the case, the technique must not only look good, but it must also be clearly distinguishable at all times.

The limitation of 8 sprites per scanline, makes that in a normal game, most of the graphics are no longer displayed, so if you do not use a color that is imposed on the others often the projectiles would be hidden in the background of the stage.

Consequently, every change must be thought with the system in which it will be implemented in mind, otherwise the results may not be the expected ones...

Changing the subject, in the current context it is not possible to add dialogues in the screen that appears after each fight, because as it has been mentioned so many times nowadays we don't have someone who specializes in programming.
Regarding the reprogramming of the game, the people most committed to the project do not have the necessary level of knowledge to carry out this task.

Understanding that the rest work independently, I suppose that although it is good to contribute ideas, the most realistic thing is to assume that if we do not find new members willing to test their skills in this area, those ideas will not be able to be implemented ;)

Speaking of project news, I finally finished moving all the changes from the original hack to the source code, corrected the fighter names and implemented the new portraits

The best thing, is that taking advantage of the extra space of the new rom and reorganized its graphics to allow them to be easily edited, unifying in the process the elements of the interface

The only thing missing would be to finish defining the final set of colors for the VS portraits, especially when two players face each other with the same character.

That is why, in case anyone wants to contribute ideas, I'm sharing the CHR with the graphics.

Finally, once again to all those who support this project, I ask you to try to have a little consideration with those who participate in it, it is overwhelming to answer again and again the same questions.

As I said all ideas are welcome, but if you want us to spend time and effort in carrying out your requests, I think it is only fair to ask you to spend time and effort in doing some minimal research in the first place.
twitter | deviantart | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

shakunetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 23, 2021, 03:21:53 am »

shakunetsu
Maybe it will be useful in the future, although at this moment it's not in my plans, anyway, they are very interesting concepts, specially for those of us who dream about developing videogames, thank you very much for the information :thumbsup:

Thank you very much sics for being informative and explaining detais regarding technicality of the project.   :beer:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:07:09 pm by shakunetsu »

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 23, 2021, 11:17:00 am »
SF never had official release on nes. Most of that official art are from snes, genesis and japanese mags

I know, I was referring to the official SF manual from the console versions. I didn't know those pics were actually from magazines, mainly because I couldn't find the real SFII manual on the web. Never mind that.

@sics: shouldn't there be an M. before Bison? Like, M.Bison? Then again I have no idea what the M. in his name is supposed to be. In the country I live some fans assume the letter as "Major" like "Major Bison" but it's not canon so I'm not sure what to do about it.

CaptainHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 23, 2021, 06:37:50 pm »
I know, I was referring to the official SF manual from the console versions. I didn't know those pics were actually from magazines, mainly because I couldn't find the real SFII manual on the web. Never mind that.

@sics: shouldn't there be an M. before Bison? Like, M.Bison? Then again I have no idea what the M. in his name is supposed to be. In the country I live some fans assume the letter as "Major" like "Major Bison" but it's not canon so I'm not sure what to do about it.
Normally M.Bison was the name of the boxer known as Balrog. It was a pun on M.Tyson, Mike Tyson. Fearing of lawsuit reasons they changed it.
So M.Bison is now Master Bison outside of Japan. https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/M._Bison

yolomate

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 23, 2021, 06:48:32 pm »
Fray
Thank you very much, it makes me very happy to know that there are so many people who liked the new designs

shakunetsu

cartridge_rom
For the moment I only have in my plans what I mentioned, on the other hand, it is important to clarify that the images are only for illustrative purposes, surely when I implement the changes in the game many things will change, either for better or for worse.

Lusofonia
As cartridge_rom commented, they had already consulted for the same thing on several occasions.
In short, the Hadōken, or any projectile, shares one of the palettes assigned to the fighter to whom the technique belongs.

For that reason, in Yuu Yuu Hakusho Final, he needs to resort to flickering sprites to show a different color technique to the character.

In the Ryu/Ken case, if the other palette were used, the color of the Hadōken would depend on the color of their clothing.

Even if this is not the case, the technique must not only look good, but it must also be clearly distinguishable at all times.

The limitation of 8 sprites per scanline, makes that in a normal game, most of the graphics are no longer displayed, so if you do not use a color that is imposed on the others often the projectiles would be hidden in the background of the stage.

Consequently, every change must be thought with the system in which it will be implemented in mind, otherwise the results may not be the expected ones...

Changing the subject, in the current context it is not possible to add dialogues in the screen that appears after each fight, because as it has been mentioned so many times nowadays we don't have someone who specializes in programming.

Speaking of project news, I finally finished moving all the changes from the original hack to the source code, corrected the fighter names and implemented the new portraits

The best thing, is that taking advantage of the extra space of the new rom and reorganized its graphics to allow them to be easily edited, unifying in the process the elements of the interface

The only thing missing would be to finish defining the final set of colors for the VS portraits, especially when two players face each other with the same character.

That is why, in case anyone wants to contribute ideas, I'm sharing the CHR with the graphics.

Finally, once again to all those who support this project, I ask you to try to have a little consideration with those who participate in it, it is overwhelming to answer again and again the same questions.

As I said all ideas are welcome, but if you want us to spend time and effort in carrying out your requests, I think it is only fair to ask you to spend time and effort in doing some minimal research in the first place.

i f you need new palettes I try created new colors!

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 23, 2021, 08:25:01 pm »
As far as I know, you can't "create" new colors for the NES, you're limited to this palette:
Personally I don't like this palette, there are two many hues of purple, green and blue, and there aren't proper red and yellow colors.

If you're referring to creating a new .pal file for emulators, I think enough choices exist for these, no? There's palettes eyeballed from CRTs, palettes created by studying the NES' architecture, palettes created exclusively for looking nice in the eyes... Not trying to disencourage your work.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #453 on: March 24, 2021, 04:21:41 am »
Right. The NES pallet is fixed. However, the exact values of each of its colors depend on what TV or emulator you're using.

See, the NES's PPU does not produce RGB video or even YUV video. Instead, the NES produces an encoded video signal like a tv channel signal that relies on the TV's internal video decoder to display. The result is a difference in pallet on every different TV make and model. Every emulator in kind is also different. What you posted is an NES pallet, but not "the" NES pallet because no such thing exists.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 24, 2021, 07:23:57 am »
Right. The NES pallet is fixed. However, the exact values of each of its colors depend on what TV or emulator you're using.

See, the NES's PPU does not produce RGB video or even YUV video. Instead, the NES produces an encoded video signal like a tv channel signal that relies on the TV's internal video decoder to display. The result is a difference in pallet on every different TV make and model. Every emulator in kind is also different. What you posted is an NES pallet, but not "the" NES pallet because no such thing exists.

Thanks for the correction. In addition to that, the NES can only use 8 palettes (4 for bg and 4 for sprites) each having 3 colors (or three if you count the bg color) right? So unless you layer sprites on top of others like Megaman does it you can't have more colors. (Mega man has two sprites for his face and armour)

alien nose job

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 24, 2021, 01:38:31 pm »
Hey all, I just thought I'd let you know that you really made me interested in something I had zero interest for.
Your work is really amazing and very inspiring. keep it up !  :thumbsup:

Hitokiri

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 24, 2021, 04:52:45 pm »
I didn't want to be boring, but as they said who has space left in the new rom, I believe it can serve to change the sprites of Ken's head. And who knows how to add new things. See this video, maybe taking Ken's out of here can be useful for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgJFuI5Duuk&t=817s

Both he and Chun-li using their famous Kykoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4iyqOssS-U&t=259s

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 24, 2021, 05:50:04 pm »
Is it possible to add people to the stages? In previous posts I've red that there aren't people yet because of the lack of animations for this game, and I don't know which one is worse: static backgrounds with no one in it or static bgs and people. For instance, in Ken's stage there's a crowd that's watching the fight, isn't it?

Coincidencially, a couple months ago I had a project similar to this one using Cony's SFII as a base in order to have a different Ken sprite as suggested by Hitoriki in the previous post, but I gave up because of the sluggish controls. Later Cony games have better controls, at least.

shakunetsu

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 24, 2021, 08:43:32 pm »
@lusofonia

Im okay without people but also Its better even with static people that are static. IMHO

But whatever they are going for im okay with it. Everything kinda look fine and 10x better than before.

As for stage don't know if animation area is assigned with the stages so it's not easy to swap or change it.

I believe the project is more skinning the existing sprites than adding new sprites.correct me if im wrong guys thanks

IDreamOfGameGenie

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 27, 2021, 10:20:10 pm »
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JwEAAOSwMZpfUpbB/s-l300.jpg

For a blonde Ken, perhaps Super's golden color variant would be easier to adapt to NES limitations?

It'll also play nice with the fireballs.

My apologies in advance, if there's not enough room in the ROM or the RAM to achieve this. Or if there's no easy way to hack the sprites.

And I know the gold in the NES palette isn't ideal.

But simply changing a color or two was a common way around limitations, back in the day. Even Mario and Batman were doing it.

And it'll help Ken keep his own identity, instead of looking like Ryu's twin brother.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:00:30 pm by KingMike »