News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Fire Emblem Dark Dragon Hacking  (Read 1507 times)

Polinym

• View Profile
Fire Emblem Dark Dragon Hacking
« on: October 08, 2020, 05:54:41 pm »
I'm working with Fire Emblem Dark Dragon / Ankoku Ryu / Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light, what have you, and I've run into some data I can't find.

I need to change Mars's spawn location so he appears on the shore of the new map, not sunk in the ocean.

Now, I found the spawn Y/X positions for the 6 units from the previous chapter above highlighted in blue through FCEUX's code logger. Oguma and the  axe fighters above them have their positions stored with their unit data which I also found, and the map's enemies likewise.

I just can't seem to find Mars's spawn position for this map. I tried combing through the ROM numerous times, but to no avail. Breakpoints also don't seem to trigger at all in the loading process (Mars's current Y/X is somewhere near $6AA0 in RAM). His position bytes should be about 0619, but I can't find them anywhere.

Any ideas?
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Dark Dragon Hacking
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 06:50:08 pm »
Give rom name, hash, savestates before and after this screen loads, and actions I need to perform to spawn this dude.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:56:34 pm »
ROM: Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurgui (Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light)

Not sure how to easily upload savestates here, but you can load up the map real quick in FCEUX by adding a cheat to $7674 to 02. This should load the chapter in question when you select a save file.

Mars (the little blue guy with the sword/shield) will spawn with the rest of his blue unit army. Note that the maps will be different because I edited the one in my hack, and Mars will spawn in a different spot.
I've also noticed he's spawning in locations different to the original Japanese version in other (unedited) maps now. I really don't know why he's moved around in other maps. I only changed the coordinates for his initial spawn on the first map. I changed the spawn coordinates of the other units, but they don't seem to be affected.
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 11:13:09 pm »
I don't see anyone with a shield from your screenshot.
Spoiler:

No idea what to do next in the game. Figure out how to upload savestates.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 01:15:23 am »
Okay, I've got some savestates here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M_7kJdIJ8Twwe16rZiRu_wiBO-WsB_Qd/view?usp=sharing
I'll most likely delete them in a few days, so be aware.

The fellow with the shield we're considered with his this fine chap, Prince Mars of Aritia.
Spoiler:

Here's the plan, just to make extra-sure everything's clear. :)

This is Map #2 in the game. Mars normally spawns in the spot indicated in yellow, which you'll see in the vanilla ROM.

However, I changed the spawn positions of Mars and his gang (as well as their classes/sprites) in the map that comes before this one, Map #1. This likely contributes to the issue. Map #1 itself is without issue.

In Map 2 now, for some reason, Mars is spawning in the crossed-out red circle. I want to now have him spawn in the area where the green arrow points, which will be easy, as soon as I find where his coordinates are determined for Map #2.

I was able to find the coordinates for all the other blue units (not counting the 4 blue sword/axe guys near the bridge. They're seperate and I found their data already). Unfortunately, Mars's coordinates were not found near the others. I've searched all over, and can't find what determines his spawn point for maps other than Map #1.

If there's anything else you need to know if you can help me, let me know. If you can't help, that's okay. Maybe I'll try over at Serenes Forest.

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 01:58:10 am »
his default position is 0913, at 0x207D3-0x207D4, written to $6AA0-$6AA1 in ram