News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with (Compressed?) Text - 1943: The Battle of Midway (NES)  (Read 1603 times)

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
Help with (Compressed?) Text - 1943: The Battle of Midway (NES)
« on: October 07, 2020, 12:11:01 pm »
So I've been working on a hack of 1943 (the NES port) based on the movie Porco Rosso by Studio Ghibli. The hack (as of this post) is 98% done, with all I have left to do being the ending cutscene and a few more text edits. However, even though I've found some text info here: http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/1943:_The_Battle_of_Midway, which has allowed me to modify a lot of the intro text, game over text, and some of the mission text, I still cannot find the text addresses of lines like "Found Enemy Bombers", "We've discovered the main fleet; that was only a trap using.....", etc (the majority of my problem lies in the text after you beat the fake final ship, the Totaku, and the ending text after you beat the real "final boss").

Is there any chance this text is compressed (and virtually inaccessible to me based on my limited skills other than graphical edits)? I've tried playing my way to the spots with my text problems and using the PPU Viewer to find Tile Locations for the "inaccessible" text and make table files with them, but it never seems to work out, sadly. Any clarification or assistance is welcome, as I can't find any information about this specific issue online (as there are few hacks of this game).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:55:22 pm by Supergamerguy »
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Help with (Compressed?) Text - 1943: The Battle of Midway (NES)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 01:17:45 pm »
Give saves from fceux before these messages appear, and a name of the rom

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 02:29:56 pm »
Will do!
The name of the rom is 1943 - The Battle of Midway (USA).nes
CRC32: d131bf15
MD5: deeaf9d51fc3f13f11f8e1a65553061a
SHA-1: 443d235fbdd0e0b3adb1dcf18c6caa7eceec8bee

Give me a little while and I'll have the text ready! Just as a warning though, I'm not good enough to get a 100% destruction rate on the final boss, so sadly it'll display the "Failure" text instead, but even the ability to edit that would be great. I'll also include the save for the beginning of the level if anybody wants to see the "good ending" text.

October 07, 2020, 02:56:44 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19nB90Rx_xB2OY_90WD00bj_kC9jtDtsq?usp=sharing

In this folder, the first save file is the very beginning of the whole last level (level 24, of which there is no password to get to), and the second save file is right before the text displays (in my case, it's the "What a pity" text because I can't seem to get enough percentage to get the "good ending").

PS - This same "What a Pity" text displays if you "lose" to the fake final boss of level 16.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:56:44 pm by Supergamerguy »
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 03:20:56 pm »
Blue bytes

Save 1
Spoiler:

Save 2
Spoiler:

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 05:19:18 pm »
Blue bytes

Save 1
Spoiler:

Save 2
Spoiler:

Thank you so much! I already had the first one (should have clarified to save you some work :D), but the second one worked like a charm. For some reason, I had actually tried to do that Tile layout/table file before, but it just didn't work for some reason. Now it's good to go!

And that same .tbl file works for the other ending text!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:12:15 pm by Supergamerguy »