News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: EightBound - UPDATE OF DOOM (1.3) Released  (Read 2511 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: EightBound - UPDATE OF DOOM (1.3) Released
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:32:38 am »

Update By: Polinym

EightBound has just received an even bigger update with features you won't want to miss!

For one, Polinym solved the flag issues regarding hidden bosses and extra items once and for all! Everything should work as intended now. There are lots of other little fixes as well, but you'll have to play the game to see them.

New additions to EightBound include:

- New item icons in the inventory
- Different menu colors now are properly named
- New spell-casting items
- New sidequest
- New / enhanced enemies
- Visiting Moogle Valley is no longer necessary to enter Ultros's base
- Two new bosses
- Culex has been adjusted
- New and existing battle moves have been enhanced
- Removed unintended "La Arsene" item
- ATM Card DX: Withdraw Gil from anywhere

EightBound has become the new EarthBound Kaizo. Do you have what it takes to reach the very end? Or will you crumble under the challenge?

Also check out this video talking about what's new in EightBound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c466JLuL2ys

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Special

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: EightBound - UPDATE OF DOOM (1.3) Released
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 06:57:55 pm »
What do you mean by when you said "Added the cheat protection back in."?

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 07:07:43 pm »
When I first released this update, I realized that I forget to turn the cheat protection back on! I then quickly re-uploaded a new patch with the cheat protection enabled again.
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 10:28:12 pm »
Gonna have to pass. Ultra hard type hacks just don't seem that fun..

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 11:48:56 pm »
Gonna have to pass. Ultra hard type hacks just don't seem that fun..
I mean, it's not like "nigh-impossible" bad. It just requires lots of careful strategy. It's really only the bosses that should give you trouble. There's a lot of spell-casting items you can use to help you too.

In many ways, the gameplay's been made faster and easier. NPCs tell you exactly what you need to do, and all the boring sidequests that had no fights have been worked around. The spells learned per character have been adjusted to better suit combat roles.
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 11:51:46 pm »
When I first released this update, I realized that I forget to turn the cheat protection back on! I then quickly re-uploaded a new patch with the cheat protection enabled again.
Guess I lucked out and grabbed the "good" patch :P, and guess I'll never be updating this hack ever again!

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 12:24:15 am »
Guess I lucked out and grabbed the "good" patch :P, and guess I'll never be updating this hack ever again!

That is, assuming that patch actually works. I recently got a message from someone saying the patch didn't work. It is working, right? I'd like to know how urgently I need to reupload EightBound again.

Ocarina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 08:06:58 am »

Hello,

May I request for this cheat-no-protection patch please?

I have always been wanting to play this but because cheats have not been allowed, I have decided not to. I didn't know a mistaken patch was uploaded accidentally.

Thank you very much.

BackPalSA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 10:31:05 am »
That is, assuming that patch actually works. I recently got a message from someone saying the patch didn't work. It is working, right? I'd like to know how urgently I need to reupload EightBound again.

Hey, I've encountered an issue with the 3DS default emulator and CATSFC, so I'm not sure if this is just the emulator I'm using, but certain caves (such as from twoson to peaceful rest valley and happy happy village to mountain cabin) are completely graphically broken, as is the background for the frank fight.

Apple Kid is also either bugged, or the dialogue is wrong. He requests 2000 gil, but only takes 200.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 10:42:26 am »
Hello,

May I request for this cheat-no-protection patch please?

I have always been wanting to play this but because cheats have not been allowed, I have decided not to. I didn't know a mistaken patch was uploaded accidentally.

Thank you very much.
It's really not that bad! It shouldn't be unbearably hard unless you're not familiar with how EarthBound works. Even if you get stuck, I can tell you all the little tricks that help, like buying the Healing Rod in the second town. Mareeta and I went out of our way to make sure the game is never frustrating. Every boss has a weakness!

Sessh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 11:14:34 am »

It didn't work for me, either. I used this site's online patching utility which I've used successfully many times, but the resulting patched rom encounters a fatal error when attempting to load it in Snes9x 1.60. This is with using the correct dump (CRC is correct) which works fine unpatched.

It tells me the checksum is bad and the rom is corrupt after patching and trying to play. Unpatched game loads fine. Hope that helps.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 11:27:46 am »
I'm hoping this is the result of me using a 4MB (expanded) ROM instead of the regular EB ROM to make the patch. I uploaded a patch to the unexpanded original now, and when it's done pending, I hope it works.

What I hope ISN'T the problem is the fact that I had to expand EightBound even further (6MB) to accomodate some new content. EightBound hasn't been working for me on my Retron, so this might be the case. If it is, I'll have to... remove things?  :O

Of course, EightBound has always been running just fine on ZSNES. :)

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 02:37:50 pm »

Well, that's also assuming I'm having enough fun, to continue updating patches, and to keep playing this...

Now I'm only an hour in, and have yet to cheat and don't really plan to either, but if I do, then I do it because it increases my enjoyment of playing said game. My time is very limited these days and ROM hacks are dime a dozen these days too, I'm not going to give something even a second more of my free time if it even tickles my "fuck this" meter so...

I'm curious why you even care how others play your hack that you need to even add in "anti-cheat" crap that might ruins someones enjoyment otherwise? Would you rather have someone "not bother to play it", "drop it mid-way though", or "finish to the end and enjoy what's there"?

I dunno, I guess I just can't imagine someone caring enough how someone else might plays a "ROM hack" to put in "DRM like measures" lol... Gotta keeps those online leaderboards integrity, mirite!

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 03:29:34 pm »
Why no cheats, you ask?

Besides, a certain boss at the very end of the game would be very sad if he didn't get to fight you. That's why I made sure there's no way you can beat the game without going through him! :D

By the way, it looks like the working patch is up. If it still doesn't work, let me know.

BackPalSA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 03:33:02 pm »
Any chance you'll take a look at the cave graphical glitch, Polinym?

Sessh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 03:53:03 pm »
By the way, it looks like the working patch is up. If it still doesn't work, let me know.

I just tried it, same thing.

If anyone else could confirm this, it would be nice as well. Did you try on Snes9x 1.60? I used to use ZSNES, but I think it's still a dead project unfortunately.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 04:19:01 pm »
I just went and patched EightBound to a clean EarthBound myself, threw it into ZSNES, and it worked. I also tried BSNES for good measure, and that worked too. It did not work on my Retron, however.

(ZSNES)  V

I'm not really sure what to do beyond... *shudders* REMOVING things from EightBound! :O

Any ideas?

Sessh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 04:29:56 pm »
I can confirm as well. Works in ZSNES and bsnes for me, but not Snes9x at all.

Ocarina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 08:51:21 pm »
Why no cheats, you ask?

Besides, a certain boss at the very end of the game would be very sad if he didn't get to fight you. That's why I made sure there's no way you can beat the game without going through him! :D

Sure, you've your stand since it's your romhack efforts.

If using cheats = wimps to you, sure.

As the other guy said, we have limited time. Every gamer does things differently.

I would give this hack a miss. Thank you very much.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 11:25:36 am »

Hey, I've encountered an issue with the 3DS default emulator and CATSFC, so I'm not sure if this is just the emulator I'm using, but certain caves (such as from twoson to peaceful rest valley and happy happy village to mountain cabin) are completely graphically broken, as is the background for the frank fight.

Apple Kid is also either bugged, or the dialogue is wrong. He requests 2000 gil, but only takes 200.

For caves, I'm assuming you mean the cave battle backgrounds, correct? I'm aware the battle backgrounds look glitchy. The thing is, going in and making sure they're all consistently not using glitchy tiles would be a pain. Their appearance shouldn't have any negative impacts on playing the game.

In EightBound, Apple Kid is completely optional and I actually wanted to discourage players from bothering with him. In case the two girls near his house hadn't tipped you off, you can ignore Apple Kid and just head straight east to rescue Rinoa. There aren't any Pencil Statues left in the game either, so his Pencil Key would do you no good. Perhaps in a future update I need to change his dialogue to ask for 20000 gil...