News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG Zero (EarthBound Beginnings Hack ROM) Beta 1.4 Update 04/25/2021  (Read 5588 times)

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
This is another of my projects that I am also working on.

It is a Mario RPG game for the NES with mechanics from EarthBound Beginnings (MOTHER 1).

Currently the Alpha phase has been completed; No version has been published but we will be working on a Beta version which will be published.

However we have a video of an alpha demo, which can be viewed on our website:

http://lapminternational.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your attention.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:41:22 am by Noan1999 »
Need to make a GFX request for SMW? Become a patron and we will do it.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
Re: Super Mario RPG Zero (EarthBound Beginnings Hack ROM)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 10:39:29 pm »
I would suggest using the Super Mario Brothers 3 Sprite for Mario as it's clashing stylistically with the toads and the environment due to the lack of an outline.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 12:37:11 pm »
I would suggest using the Super Mario Brothers 3 Sprite for Mario as it's clashing stylistically with the Toads and the environment due to the lack of an outline.

I agree with pocket, it would look better. I have a hack of Nuts & Milk that uses the SMB3 style toad from Super Mario Maker 2, and I have an old SMB3 hack that's been dead that has custom Peach sprites, you can use them because it'll a better fit than having the SMB2 style Toad and Peach looking like they've scalped.

PM me if you want the help. ;)

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »
Beta version 1.0 now available

It can be downloaded from our website, LAPM International

Some minor fixes and improvements were made.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 02:46:52 pm »
I like the title screen, it looks authentic. :)
You made the Mario sprites, right? I thought you'd go with the small Mario sprite from SMB3.
I'm glad you took my suggestions with the Toad and Peach sprites, they look way better. :)
I wasn't expecting Wario, the Wario sprites look familiar. ;) I was expecting the small Luigi sprites from SMAS SMB3.

I looked through your hack, it looks like the only thing you gotta edit is the spirits when the characters die, it's been so long since I hacked this game.

Good stuff, I'll play through it some more after I do my chores. :D

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 12:36:30 pm »
This looks like it's potentially interesting. Any hints on the storyline?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 04:08:07 am by lexluthermiester »

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 01:18:51 pm »
The Beta 1.1 version of the project is now available.

To download it and find out more information please visit our page. LAPM International

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 09:10:15 am »
I'll give 1.1 a spin later on, can't wait to see the changes. :D

WebSlinger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 07:50:08 pm »
The Beta 1.1 version of the project is now available.

To download it and find out more information please visit our page. LAPM International

Holy crap, the title screen has MUCH improved!! Sprites looking less choppy as well!   8)

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 07:14:11 pm »
Hey, I was bored so I took the liberty of adding the font alotta NES English translated games use, I think the font name is Toma. Here's what it looks like in your 1.1 version of the hack.

Lemme know if you want me to send you your hack with the new font, I think it looks better than the original font. :D

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 11:06:10 am »
The Beta 1.2 version of the project is now available.

To download it and find out more information please visit our page.LAPM International

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 11:33:36 am »
The Beta 1.3 version of the project is now available.

To download it and find out more information please visit our page: LAPM International

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
The Beta 1.4 version of the project is now available.

Summary of changes:

-All the name pointers of Enemies, PSI, Items and locations on the map have been modified and some names have been modified at the same time.

-The palettes and graphics of some enemies were changed and modified.

To download it and find out more information please visit our page: LAPM International

NOTE: We apologize to all those people who think that I have done very little. I've been busy with quite a few things and the pointers change process was very long.

This process has been done since Beta 1.2 and we are done with the names. We have already started doing the same process with the dialogues and then with the descriptions.

And besides that, I am trying to disassemble the game to see if I can and how I modify the music of it.

Anyone interested in collaborating with the disassembly, can contact me through PM.

Thank you for your attention.

Googie

• View Profile
I'll give 1.4 a spin after lunch.  :thumbsup:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
This idea is incredible, I wanted to ask a question, how many colors can you use in a sprite? and if you could use bigger sprites like the size of mario when you eat the mushroom, it would be much better, congratulations for the work

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
how many colors can you use in a sprite?

Remember that sprites in NES games use a 3 color palette (Actually there are 4, but the first one is always used for the background). So Mario sprites uses a palette almost the same as the one used in SMB3.

And if you could use bigger sprites like the size of mario when you eat the mushroom, it would be much better.

Maybe it would be much better, but unfortunately in EarthBound Beginnings the sprites are 16x16 pixels and it would be difficult to have large sprites. Unless the game code is modified, but large sprites would take up more space in the CHR banks.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
Noan1999, I understood about the 3 colors, but some games use tricks to use more colors, I just don't understand how, there is a project here for street fighter 2 deluxe, so I understand they want to improve the audio, the physics and the scenarios, I I was wondering if it would work to make better graphics and I even made sprites very similar to those seen in SNES 'Super Street Fighter 2, but these SF2 sprites from NES have 6 colors, I didn't understand it, so I was told that there isn't how to add better sprites because here there was a great trick to do that, it may even be possible but they don’t know how, I overcame myself and did sprites with 5, 4 and 3 colors with an interesting result, something I wanted to do but not I know how to program it is a bomberman 2 remaster, I remade the sprites similar to the super bomberman 4 by snes, I respected the size of the sprites and 4 colors the same in the priginals, but they were very good, just like the snes, only see the difference if side by side due to a little difference in the ta morning and colors, but the light blue color of bomberman 2 I substituted for the blue that is seen in super bomberman 4, just need someone to do this project so I can use the sprites

Noan1999

• LAPM worker
    • View Profile
    • LAPM International
Noan1999, I understood about the 3 colors, but some games use tricks to use more colors, I just don't understand how, there is a project here for street fighter 2 deluxe, so I understand they want to improve the audio, the physics and the scenarios, I I was wondering if it would work to make better graphics and I even made sprites very similar to those seen in SNES 'Super Street Fighter 2, but these SF2 sprites from NES have 6 colors, I didn't understand it, so I was told that there isn't how to add better sprites because here there was a great trick to do that, it may even be possible but they don’t know how, I overcame myself and did sprites with 5, 4 and 3 colors with an interesting result, something I wanted to do but not I know how to program it is a bomberman 2 remaster, I remade the sprites similar to the super bomberman 4 by snes, I respected the size of the sprites and 4 colors the same in the priginals, but they were very good, just like the snes, only see the difference if side by side due to a little difference in the ta morning and colors, but the light blue color of bomberman 2 I substituted for the blue that is seen in super bomberman 4, just need someone to do this project so I can use the sprites

Yes, I know that there are tricks to use sprites with more than 3 colors. As for example the use of overlapping sprites, that this trick is applied in the Mega Man's games, Mario's Time Machine and Mario is Missing.