News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210502  (Read 503329 times)

hmsong

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210419
« Reply #2080 on: April 27, 2021, 06:36:54 pm »
It's like being able to sequence break early game stuff so the girl and / or sprite join the boy in the goblin village cutscene: harmless, funny, doesn't break the game.

Wuw, so you're not gonna fix the beginning cannon travel man bug?

Queue

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana, Turbo - Beta 210502
« Reply #2081 on: May 02, 2021, 06:15:04 pm »
Version 2021-05-02:
https://filebin.net/7spaiz2xfys6b2i1/SoM_Turbo.210502.zip
Alternate Link:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/x44ouv

Changes:
- Wall Face removed from Magic\Change_Form_-_Pygmy-Moogle list of changes
- Modified Balance\Wall_Face_-_Uncrushable_Barrels to change Wall Face's east eye Freeze spell into a new "Moogle Beam" boss skill
- Implemented Balance\Vampire_-_Form_Change; new transformation animation frames and appearance while flying and altered flight mode logic (so the vampire bosses don't immediately start then stop flying)
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\Wall_Boss_Beam_Fix; apparently if a wall boss used a beam skill (e.g. Flash Beam), it could only hit each hero once, and then would stop doing damage on subsequent uses, due to a vanilla programming mistake
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\No_Sleep_Walking; if you transformed (e.g. moogle) while unconscious, you could move around before the sleep status effect had worn off
- Implemented Bug_Fixes\Unhinged_Vampire_Door; a phantom door appeared when being sent into Vampire's fight arena due to a mistake in door data
- Fixed Quality_of_Life\Equip_2nd_Weapon; if player 2 was blocking, player 1 couldn't quick swap weapons
- Gave Santa's House interior Tidy Map treatment (you no longer stand on top of the flowers on his table or the logs by his fireplace)
- Fixed Magic\Spell_System_Extensions; elemental names weren't displaying correctly in their level up messages
- Updated Text\Reborn pre-prelease V1.11

hmsong, yeah, probably not going to. It just doesn't hurt anything and practically has to be done on purpose.

Oh right, and I wanted to mention that projectile weapons not working on Vampire, but working against Buffy, seems to be some vanilla projectile collision issue related to how each of those fight arenas works. It doesn't seem to be intentional behavior. I'm trying to resolve the issue, but SoM's collision detection logic is rather complicated.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:19:06 pm by Queue »

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 02, 2021, 07:03:04 pm »
Huh?  I thought you were intending on removing Change Form from Wall Face, and not Vampire.  I'm guessing it was removed from Vampire because you needed the extra space for the new Vampire mechanics?  And does changing stuff from Vampire change stuff from Buffy too?  Does that mean that no bosses have Change Form?

I still couldn't figure out what to do with Wall Face's Change Form.  Wait, does the left eye and right eye have different moveset? (at least, one of them has the moogle beam instead of freeze/change form?)  Does that change things for Demon Wall?

Hmm.  I want to fix the canon travelman bug in the beginning, for my private collection.  Could you please help?  I'm guessing I need to change Event0CE's "\if_flag== 11 00", but I don't know what to change to.  I know there's something I can change, since the Pandora guard moves away once certain event happens.  I'm not sure if they're related though.

Oh, and unless you change a lot of things from the previous Reborn version, could you please post which specific event number was changed? (you don't need to post which part of the event was changed, since that may be tedious).  I changed some things for my private patch, and if I knew which event was changed, I can just take a look at that event to see if I need to change anything, instead of going through the whole script all over again.  Thanks.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 02, 2021, 08:05:13 pm »
The changelog is wrong, I'll edit that post, I typed Vampire where I meant to type Wall Face. Vampire and Buffy still have Change Form instead of Freeze.

Yes, the Vampire stuff affects Buffy as well.

Doom Wall should be unchanged. Wall Face's left and right eyes have different moves. Left has Flash Beam, Leaden Glare and Cure Water, Right has Energy Absorb and Freeze (now Moogle Beam).

Hm... it's tough for me to do a comparison between Reborn versions embedded in Turbo. I do a full comparison between stand-alone Reborn versions for the Reborn readme, but listing every event changed would be a huge time waster. Are you making changes directly to the Reborn script data? You could use:
%OFF% Event###
To overwrite whole events in your custom stuff so that you won't have to make edits to them without needing to re-edit them every update. Or are you already and just want a heads up on what has changed? When I've listed event numbers before, it was generally when adding to Text\Event_Fixes, where I have to painstakingly keep things organized since not every script needs every event fix. When Reborn gets changed, it's text in a spreadsheet fed into a script that converts it for use by the ZPS patcher; at the time it's changed in the spreadsheet, there's nothing to indicate which event number the text is part of.

Regarding the cannon travel guy, solving it appears imperfect. Changing \if_flag== 11 00 \goto 0FB means he'd keep offering you a free ride to the Water Palace... you might be able to change it to \if_flag== 12 00 \goto 0FB, the same as the Pandora Guard that stops you from entering the city. Hopefully that would work.
Code: [Select]
%OFF% Event0CE
\event \if_flag== 1E 7F \goto 0D1 \if_flag== 12 00 \goto 0FB

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 02, 2021, 09:08:44 pm »
Doom Wall should be unchanged. Wall Face's left and right eyes have different moves. Left has Flash Beam, Leaden Glare and Cure Water, Right has Energy Absorb and Freeze (now Moogle Beam).

Hm... it's tough for me to do a comparison between Reborn versions embedded in Turbo. I do a full comparison between stand-alone Reborn versions for the Reborn readme, but listing every event changed would be a huge time waster. Are you making changes directly to the Reborn script data? You could use:
%OFF% Event###
To overwrite whole events in your custom stuff so that you won't have to make edits to them without needing to re-edit them every update. Or are you already and just want a heads up on what has changed? When I've listed event numbers before, it was generally when adding to Text\Event_Fixes, where I have to painstakingly keep things organized since not every script needs every event fix. When Reborn gets changed, it's text in a spreadsheet fed into a script that converts it for use by the ZPS patcher; at the time it's changed in the spreadsheet, there's nothing to indicate which event number the text is part of.

Regarding the cannon travel guy, solving it appears imperfect. Changing \if_flag== 11 00 \goto 0FB means he'd keep offering you a free ride to the Water Palace... you might be able to change it to \if_flag== 12 00 \goto 0FB, the same as the Pandora Guard that stops you from entering the city. Hopefully that would work.
%OFF% Event0CE
\event \if_flag== 1E 7F \goto 0D1 \if_flag== 12 00 \goto 0FB

Wuw, so Wall Face's left eye and right eye always had different moveset in vanilla?  I didn't know that.  But makes sense.  Cool.

I'm indeed using %OFF% Event###.  For example, I changed Event10C's Timothy/Elliot somewhere in the middle (I pointed this out to ManaRedux, but he decided to keep the way it is due to it being the original version), but I had to include all the scripts previous of that since I obviously had to keep the original things too.  Basically, I changed into this, because I can't just pick out the specific change in the whole script:

%OFF% Event10C ' $E13E04 Row: 592
\event \flag== 10 05 \lock \gather \camera_center \move_leader= 00 \move_npc== 06 40 \text_open
TEXT ^E L^ D^ E^ R^ : ^O h , _ [B] , _ y o u ` r e _ a l l \n^
TEXT r i g h t . _ ^T i m o t h y _ a n d _ ^E l l i o t t \n^
TEXT t o l d _ m e _ w h a t _ h a p p e n e d . \n
\event \wait_input \text_close \lock \move_npc== 04 90 \move_npc== 05 40 \move_npc== 06 90 \wait_anim \move_npc== 04 4E \move_npc== 06 40 \wait_anim \text_open
TEXT ^E L^ L^ I^ O^ T^ T^ : ^G e e z , _ ^I _ t h o u g h t _ y o u \n^
TEXT w e r e _ a _ g o n e r ! _ ^T o o k _ y o u _ l o n g \n^
TEXT e n o u g h , _ y o u _ d o l t ! \n
\event \wait_input \text_clear
TEXT ^T I^ M^ O^ T^ H^ Y^ : ^J u s t _ l i k e _ ^I _ s a i d , \n^
TEXT t a k i n g _ a _ g u y _ l i k e _ t h i s _ a l o n g \n^
TEXT w a s _ a _ b a d _ i d e a . _ ^T s c h ! \n
\event \move_npc== 05 C0 \wait_input \text_clear \move_npc== 06 C0
TEXT ^E L^ D^ E^ R^ : ^I d i o t s ! _ ^I _ s a i d _ d o n ` t \n^
TEXT g o _ t h e r e ! _ ^Y o u ` v e _ c o n d u c t e d \n^
TEXT y o u r s e l v e s _ l i k e _ t o t a l _ b r a t s ! \n
\event \move_leader= C0 \move_npc== 04 80 \move_npc== 05 00 \wait_anim \wait= 01 \move_leader= 42 \move_npc== 04 00 \move_npc== 05 80 \wait_anim \wait= 01 \move_leader= 80 \move_npc== 04 C0 \move_npc== 05 40 \wait_anim \wait= 01 \move_leader= 00 \move_npc== 04 40 \wait_anim \wait_input \text_clear
TEXT ^E L^ D^ E^ R^ : ^O h . . .
\event \move_npc== 06 40 \wait_anim
TEXT [B] ! \n
TEXT ^W h a t _ d o _ y o u _ h a v e _ t h e r e ? \n^
TEXT ^I t ` s . . . t h a t ` s . . . n o , _ t h a t ` s \n^
TEXT i m p o s s i b l e ! \n
\event \wait_input \text_clear \move_npc== 05 80
'TEXT ^E L^ L^ I^ O^ T^ T^ : ^O o o o h ! _ ^M a y b e _ y o u \n^
'TEXT f o u n d _ t h e _ t r e a s u r e ! ? \n
TEXT ^T I^ M^ O^ T^ H^ Y^ : ^O o o o h ! _ ^M a y b e _ y o u \n^
TEXT f o u n d _ t h e _ t r e a s u r e ! ? \n
'TEXT ^T I^ M^ O^ T^ H^ Y^ : ^H e y , _ n o t _ b a d ! \n
TEXT ^E L^ L^ I^ O^ T^ T^ : ^H e y , _ n o t _ b a d ! \n

But if you changed the "\move_npc== 06 40" part to "\move_npc== 06 41" (I'm not saying you did, but I'm just taking that as an example), I'll need to change that in my private patch too, so that my private patch changes with what was changed.

Btw, I wasn't requesting you post the changes to all of Reborn stuff.  I'm specifically talking about between the specific versions.  For example, if you changed something event001 in v210502 (relative to v210419), then under "- Updated Text\Reborn pre-prelease V1.11", you can just put additional, "--Event001".  You don't need to specify what part of event001 was changed (unless you want to).

But that's only if very few events were changed.  If you changed a lot of different events, then posting the changes would be a pain for you, and I'll just go through the script to see what was changed.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: May 05, 2021, 09:12:19 am »
Filebin doesn't seem to work since yesterday that I tried, weird that site was always working for me

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 05, 2021, 04:02:02 pm »
Mr X, I added alternate download links to the previous release post and the first post.

hmsong, when ManaRedux or I make changes to Reborn, it's not in a ZPS file, it's in a spreadsheet.
After we make edits:
- it gets exported as a "Tab-separated values" (TSV) file
- the TSV gets fed into a combination Batch / VBScript
- the VBScript processes it into ZPS syntax
- the Batch script merges it with some other ZPS script fragments
- the ZPS Patcher then applies the generated ZPS patch
- then FLIPS generates an IPS patch from the ZPS patched ROM for the Reborn release
Because changes are mostly made in the spreadsheet, I don't know which event number the changes will be affecting. Edits to the event scripting template (stuff like how much NPCs move) is a fairly messy affair mostly focused on making sure text boxes work correctly with the integrated spreadsheet text, and also doesn't happen much at this point.

The spreadsheet looks like this:

And the working folder for building the patch looks like this:

A comparison between the Reborn ZPS event fragment versions (the part that contains the events), can look like this:

But what isn't obvious is that the diff utility is preprocessing the input to strip comments, and I can't (reasonably) do that with the Turbo ZPS file to compare Reborn text once its been copy&pasted in (the Turbo ZPS file is too big and complex, basically; the preprocessing chokes and fails). I don't track changes between iterations of Reborn because lots of changes are scrapped, and all change notes are by hand, so I wait until a release is ready, then do a full comparison between versions (e.g. Reborn V1.10 and V1.11), and even then, it's to count the number and type of changes (spelling changes, spelling fixes, event fixes, etc.), not to note exactly which event numbers saw changes.

hmsong

• View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 05, 2021, 06:27:06 pm »
I see.  Thanks for the explanation.  I guess I'll manage.