News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Members of Team Xecuter have been arrested.  (Read 1961 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Members of Team Xecuter have been arrested.
« on: October 02, 2020, 06:22:23 pm »
Here's a pretty good overview: https://youtu.be/0nSfnyGPqqM

And the aricle in question: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-members-notorious-videogame-piracy-group-team-xecuter-custody

Not much to do with ROMhacking and more with console modding, but Nintendo's really playing some hardball here.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Members of Team Xecuter have been arrested.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 09:45:38 pm »
I'm all for being able to program for old, unsupported platforms. Selling devices to pirate today's newest games is an audacious risk.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 10:07:10 pm »
A "French national of Avignon, France", a "Chinese national of Shenzhen, China", and a "Canadian national of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic".

I would have expected operations like this to be run entirely out of Hong Kong or thereabouts.  I guess times have changed.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 11:00:10 am »
I'm all for being able to program for old, unsupported platforms. Selling devices to pirate today's newest games is an audacious risk.

Emphasis mine.

That's really the key to this entire story; they were making lots of money, which the law says it was illegal for them to make, and doing so intentionally and without concern for the fact that they were taking sales away from the company that owned the rights to the systems they were making devices to enable piracy on.

That's a one-way ticket to getting arrested, and no mistake.
Yamero~~!

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 05:16:33 pm »
It seems like the public has largely just taken the whole thing as another case of Nintendo Bad, but in this case they were completely justified, iirc Sony set a precedence back in the day for this when they sued Geohot over the PS3 jailbreaks that allowed people to steal shit from the PSN Store.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 09:46:45 pm »
Isn't the thing that not only were they selling a console mod, but one with its own console-bricking "protection" built in?
That sounds pretty shady and I wouldn't feel bad for Nintendo going after that.

But still what I read of people on youtube comments defending when console modders get hit "jailbreaking is legal."
Isn't it only legal to do it to your own console, that you paid for?
Pretty sure that since modding would usually involve firmware hacks, selling modded firmware would amount to selling any other unauthorized modification of commercial software (pretty sure firmware still falls under software copyright protection), in that, yes, the seller can get bopped for it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 02:03:21 am »
Isn't the thing that not only were they selling a console mod, but one with its own console-bricking "protection" built in?
That sounds pretty shady and I wouldn't feel bad for Nintendo going after that.
I think the 3DS Gateway did something like that, yes, but that was years ago and no one would recommend using a Gateway or any other 3DS flashcart anymore.

But still what I read of people on youtube comments defending when console modders get hit "jailbreaking is legal."
Isn't it only legal to do it to your own console, that you paid for?
Perhaps it is an exaggeration, but the link in the OP suggests that they were quite deliberately selling commercial game dumps.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!