News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Secret of Evermore 25th Anniversary celebration  (Read 9772 times)

XETH

• View Profile
    • Evermore Exploration Project
Re: ROM Hacks: Secret of Evermore 25th Anniversary celebration
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 07:12:56 pm »
(Also, some points about the game's checksum usage would be nice to hear about before I make any real progress.)

What do you mean by that? I know a bit about it.

Zeyonthegreen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 04:31:36 pm »
I was curious and saw the hack. I used the Lunar IPS to apply the patch, but it comes up as a bad checksum every time Headered or unheadered. Does SoE:25thAC function with a bad checksum? The guides I have looked at say that applying the patch is all I have to do. Sorry, I am new to understanding hacks. I'm going to keep looking around on what I am doing, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Echoherb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 01:57:56 pm »
I was curious and saw the hack. I used the Lunar IPS to apply the patch, but it comes up as a bad checksum every time Headered or unheadered. Does SoE:25thAC function with a bad checksum? The guides I have looked at say that applying the patch is all I have to do. Sorry, I am new to understanding hacks. I'm going to keep looking around on what I am doing, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Lots of romhacks will have a bad checksum after patching, you can safely ignore it.

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
    • a little house in the savannah
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 08:36:42 pm »
I've still never played SoE. Would you recommend playing the original, this, or another patch for a first-time player? Someday I might get to it -- thanks! Congrats on your project.
If you haven't played it, give it a shot. It's legit one of my fave Square games, up there with Trials of Mana, which a lot of people like to compare it to due to the close time of release and the misconception that Evermore replaced it. Legend of Mana eclipses both of them though lol

Just huge heads up for the marketplace segment, I don't remember a lot of it but I remember it being a pain without a guide. Also the alchemy and currency systems may be a bit of an acquired taste, the currency system feels like what the ore to gold exchange system should have been in the Gagharv trilogy, but maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges.
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2021, 02:26:02 am »
The first time I saw Secret of Evermore pop up was when I was searching YouTube (don't want to go into detail about what I was searching for) and a video for the game popped up where the person who uploaded the video showed part of the game where one of the major NPC characters revealed that she was the real deal and that the version the player met before was an impostor.