News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Go for it, Goemon! Depose the Odd Shōgun McGuinness! (Beta version) Released!  (Read 3796 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Avster

After decades of work, the original Goemon 2 SNES translation project is finally complete!

Features
  • All text, signage, and HUD elements localized from Japanese to English.
  • Expanded speech bubbles, menu windows, and cutscene text display areas.
  • Greater variation of typefaces.
  • Legacy bug fixes.
  • Completion of post-clear dialogue.

This release aims to faithfully localize the original experience from Japanese to English through preservation of the dialogue's goofy humor, and implementation of original artwork that retains the appearance and style of the hand-drawn aesthetic exhibited by the game's many visuals. A single romhacker invested thousands of hours over the course of many years in order to make this translation a reality.

Bonus content includes legacy bug fixes as well as the completion of post-clear material that the original designers could not fully realize due to either time restraints or space limitations. Please see the "relevant link" or readme file for details.

The game itself is easily one of best Super Nintendo releases. The graphics are gorgeous, the scenery and content extremely varied, and the amazing soundtrack features splendorous, traditional melodies played on the koto, and catchy Japanese Doo-wop belted out by a saxophone!

Like so many of Konami's platformers, it's no cake walk! But only you can defend Japan's culture from relentless Westernization!

Take the stage and "Go for it"!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
So whats the difference between this and the DDS one?
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
They're obviously different projects. All one has to do is read the readme etc to know that this has nothing in common with the other translation aside from translating the game into English.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
I'm gonna give this a shot when I'm done with my phone appointments, kewl.  :D :cookie:

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
They're obviously different projects. All one has to do is read the readme etc to know that this has nothing in common with the other translation aside from translating the game into English.

That doesn't tell us much about what to expect. Maybe one is more literal, or more comical, or something.

Cristal

• View Profile
That doesn't tell us much about what to expect. Maybe one is more literal, or more comical, or something.

You can also simply play both and see for yourself. Am I right?

Chaud

• View Profile

I mean, translation is literally the definition of the project. Both projects, in fact. That is the act of translating the language of the game into English.

So your sentence says that "this [translation] has no relation with the other [translation] besides the fact of being a [translation]". Which doesn't make much sense, because you're saying that the two things have nothing in common except the fact that they are exactly the same thing, and exist for the same reason.

To give a more direct answer for everyone, the DDSTranslation states only that it tried to "translate the text into English," without saying anything about adapting or the tone of the game, which could make us believe that it is a more literal translation. Avicalendriya's project claims to try to be "preserving the goofy humor" of the original, which makes me think that they are trying to make adaptations in the translation so that the text makes more sense in English and it's still funny as intended.

In the end, both projects seem to be doing the same thing, yeah. And it is not possible to say what is the big difference between them without trying.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 03:20:30 pm by Chaud »

gorgyrip

• View Profile
This version requires 8k of sram and the other version requires 16k.
This version also has bigger and more artistic fonts. But the text disappear to fast.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:14:53 pm by gorgyrip »

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Translators
Fantastic hacking, but it should read "Are you done yet?" because it otherwise sounds primitive like when Tarzan speaks (Me Tarzan. You Jane.)! English isn't my native language, but I still know some grammar...
Please translate Tomato Adventure for GBA!
http://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

AdamDravian

• View Profile
Fantastic hacking, but it should read "Are you done yet?" because it otherwise sounds primitive like when Tarzan speaks (Me Tarzan. You Jane.)! English isn't my native language, but I still know some grammar...

As a native English speaker, I assure you that "You done yet?" doesn't come off as Tarzan speak. It's really common to hear that in casual English.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Translators
It's irrelevant if it's common to hear something that is wrong in casual English. People say common mistakes in casual Swedish, but it doesn't mean that it's right! Most Swedes are stupid and bad at Swedish and they use Swenglish and English words instead of proper Swedish. It's a good thing you don't "translate" then.
Please translate Tomato Adventure for GBA!
http://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
It's irrelevant if it's common to hear something that is wrong in casual English. People say common mistakes in casual Swedish, but it doesn't mean that it's right! Most Swedes are stupid and bad at Swedish and they use Swenglish and English words instead of proper Swedish. It's a good thing you don't "translate" then.

It's actually not considering that this is an English translation intended for English "speakers", so appealing to them by translating a certain phrase in a common way would make the translation feel all the more authentic and closer to an official one.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

marioxb

• View Profile
It's actually not considering that this is an English translation intended for English "speakers", so appealing to them by translating a certain phrase in a common way would make the translation feel all the more authentic and closer to an official one.

I am American, and I agree that "You done yet?" i just fine. Partial lyrics from a Bart Simpson song, "Deep Deep Trouble":

Bart: So I'm in the front yard, mowin' like crazy,
Sweatin' like a pig and the sun is blazing.
Homer's in the driveway, getting in the car,
With Mom and Lisa, hope they're going real far.
The dad yells
Homer: Bart
Bart: and I go Yo
He goes
Homer: You done yet?
Bart: and I go No.
So he goes
Homer: Oh! You're too slow.
Bart: So I step on the gas, to speed up the mow.
Didn't see that sprinkler underneath that tree,
Wham! Ccchhh! Pssshh! Raining on me!
I go Whoa, Homer goes
Homer: D'oh!
Now you can't go to the boatshow.

reyvgm

• View Profile

Update By: Avster

Bonus content includes legacy bug fixes as well as the completion of post-clear material that the original designers could not fully realize due to either time restraints or space limitations. Please see the project page for details.

I don't see any details about it? Both links lead to the same RHDN page.

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
Just wanted to stop by and thank everyone for checking out my work.

I don't see any details about it? Both links lead to the same RHDN page.

Thanks for pointing that out reyvgm.

The relevant link and wording are now updated.

jelbo

• View Profile
Fantasic! I've been eyeing this project for years, I believe. Time to patch and get this on my 3DS. Thanks a lot for the incredible effort. :thumbsup: