News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating Chinese bootleg FC games  (Read 359 times)

Zhongtiao1

• View Profile
Translating Chinese bootleg FC games
« on: September 28, 2020, 06:32:00 pm »
I'm trying to translate games by Waixing or Nanjing, but I can't figure out how to read and change the Chinese text. No hex editor seems to be able to read them since they are 16 bit characters, plus I can't use a disassembler because the games all use illegal opcodes so it just errors out.

Anyone have any tips? Maybe a hex editor that actually supports Chinese ROMs? Or a disassembler that supports weird mappers?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Translating Chinese bootleg FC games
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 09:32:10 pm »
I have only worked with Japanese games in WindHex (which despite saying "Unicode" in the menu I think only supports Shift-JIS).
Though I have also for some time stopped using hex editors to insert text directly and wrote my own programs to dump the text to text files and re-insert the edited text files to the ROM.

As to disassembly, I haven't trusted programs to smartly disassemble ROMs. The disssembly I have done has been manually copy-pasting blocks from FCEUX disassembler and manually making my own.

I think at least by now the primary build of FCEUX has added the Nanjing mappers?
I remember why I once tried to work on a game I had to use a custom build by a certain ROM dumper famous in the dumping scene.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018