News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with Shin Megami Tensei Pointers  (Read 445 times)

Marukos

• View Profile
Help with Shin Megami Tensei Pointers
« on: September 27, 2020, 08:56:57 pm »
So I've been trying to start a Portuguese translation of SMT for SNES and have been struggling the last few days trying to figure out the text's pointers. I've just started with this whole ROM hacking thing and I was able to learn the really basic things just fine. Things started to screw when I started messing with pointers, I've watched every kind of tutorial and read every kind of guide on the matter but I can't make any progress. I'm using mostly the Aeon Genesis translation(The one fixed by Orden) but I've tried with the Japanese ROM as well. The ROM's memory map is LoRom and it is unheadered. Below is the text that I'm trying to find the pointers:

I'm sorry if it is too little information, but I really don't know where to go from here, I hope someone can enlighten me.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:07:18 am by Marukos »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Shin Megami Tensei Pointers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 12:58:08 am »
From what I heard Gideon say back in the day, SMT was probably not a good game to learn ROM hacking on. Just to warn.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Marukos

• View Profile
Re: Help with Shin Megami Tensei Pointers
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 03:25:38 am »
From what I heard Gideon say back in the day, SMT was probably not a good game to learn ROM hacking on. Just to warn.

I can imagine why. I'm still willing to try a little more, but if I can't really make any progress in the next days I'll go for something easier.

Thanks for the warn though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:58:17 am by Marukos »