News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Phantasy Star IV story revelations incorporated into PSGen4 Retranslation Patch  (Read 2605 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: GhaleonUnlimited

"Who is this Zio?"

The main character's mentor asks this shortly into Phantasy Star IV, and since its release in 1993 (JP), fans haven't had a real answer.

Released at a time when RPG antagonists were becoming realistically motivated, tragic, and/or even sympathetic, PSIV's first-half villain was seemingly evil just because.

The mystery of Zio finally is revealed to PS fans decades later, from a developer interview in a cosplay fanzine, of all places (pictured).

Zio's backstory now drives Rune's/Thray's heroic journey even before the events of PSIV, and their diametric opposition, actions, and even starting positions have sound reasoning behind them.

Thanks to the magic of romhacking, unrealized developer dreams like these can now be integrated into already great classic gaming stories, bringing them to new heights and giving even the oldest fan a reason to revisit a beloved world.

Phantasy Star Generation: 4 is a retranslation and relocalization of PSIV, comprehensive in its research, writing and editing, made for new players and old fans alike.
Please contact the author with any feedback or requests for customized versions of the patch.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Cool to see you're still working on this!  I'm always a sucker for well-written villains.  That's one heck of a weird way to learn a character's backstory, though.

SmashManiac

• View Profile
That's an unexpected update, thanks! :)

Special

• View Profile
Sounds interesting, but man you keep changing your patches around without any word, I have no idea what they do anymore...

I have currently:
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A Relocalization (SMS-Classic + Working Designs) [SMS-Classic+WD] v5.0)
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A Relocalization (Purist) (Hack of Phantasy Star IV v5.0)
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A Relocalization (Working Designs) (Hack of Phantasy Star IV v5.0)

Now there's only two patches for v6.0? and I think before this there were 4 patches.

kaine23

• View Profile
oh this sounds great!!

Nosuch

• View Profile
This sounds interesting but I don't have the time for RPGs anymore, even though I loved PSIV back in the day. Could I get a summary of this developer revelation about Zio? In spoilers, of course.

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
    • Phantasy Star Generation 4 + "Found in Fanslation" Podcast
Sounds interesting, but man you keep changing your patches around without any word, I have no idea what they do anymore...

I have currently:
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A Relocalization (SMS-Classic + Working Designs) [SMS-Classic+WD] v5.0)
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A Relocalization (Purist) (Hack of Phantasy Star IV v5.0)
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A Relocalization (Working Designs) (Hack of Phantasy Star IV v5.0)

Now there's only two patches for v6.0? and I think before this there were 4 patches.

Yeah, I understand. The feedback I was getting is that people really just want a WD and a Purist version, with the option for EN or JP names.

I might have had one person ask the ALL CAPS, ALIS/LASSIC ver of the patch in the last 2 years. I have to update the script manually for each patch version to make sure I don't screw anything up, so it's a lot of extra work to have no one use it. I've never done anything like this before so the project has grown a LOT thanks to feedback.

I got feedback that it's confusing even having two versions of the patch, let alone more, haha, but I think this works for almost everyone who's interested. I even had a ver with tech names to match the Gen1+2 remakes and not 1 person preferred it :)

September 30, 2020, 02:32:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This sounds interesting but I don't have the time for RPGs anymore, even though I loved PSIV back in the day. Could I get a summary of this developer revelation about Zio? In spoilers, of course.

No worries, I understand. A PSIII retranslation recently came out but I'll never ever have time to play through PSIII again.

I've tried to not spoil the Zio thing since it might be kind of cool for people who run through the patch, but the book contents can be found online ;). It's as pictured in the first post, called Phanta! 30th Phantasy Star anniversary. It's an excellent read.

Or, I'm finally doing a Creator Commentary Let's Play, and I'm glad I waited so long since the Zio thing was just shared on the PS Cave discord like 3 weeks ago. Additional dialog is at Party vs. Zio #2, and NPCs + cutscene at Rune's revelation.

It'll be at my personal YT channel, https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHatalaGDLenter. No ads, no pleas to like and subscribe, just doing this for fun and Phantasy Star.

If you like the patch, I just suggest telling someone who also might enjoy it, and/or consider leaving a review on RHDN. I addressed the feedback in the two "Nos" but it still sucks to see them there, lol.  :woot!: :cookie:

And yeah, some fan's cosplay book is the last place in the world I'd have expected to find unrevealed story for PSIV.

Thanks for commenting, all! Let me know if you have different proper noun preferences as to what I have and I'll make it real quick.

I don't foresee having to make any more significant updates. I've been asked to use the variable-width font in the French ver but I'd have to do all new line breaks for the whole script :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:33:18 pm by GhaleonUnlimited »
Phantasy Star Generation 4: A PSIV Retranslation
"Found in Fanslation" Podcast
http://PSIV.GamesDoneLegit.com

Maverynthia

• View Profile
I know other translation have two-version patches. For those that want a good translation with original names. honorifics and all that and those that love (for some odd reason) WD/Woolsey/Butchered versions of translations localizations and I do mean LOCALizations. (Seriously everything Japanese in the original Woolsey/WD/Other translations burned anything Japanese to the ground and salted it with a giant mayo jar of Americanism ._ .)