News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: COLECOVISION  (Read 683 times)

Keighn

• View Profile
COLECOVISION
« on: September 22, 2020, 06:28:24 pm »
I was looking around And i saw so few colecovision hacks.  Is this an easy platform to modify?

GATEWAY TO APSHAI
I suppose getting to the point would be asking how hard would it be to edit the game to nix (get rid of) the timer and add a way to go up and down levels.  It doesn't have to save them.  A short list would be:

1. No timer
2. Go up/down levels
3. Fix score (it messed up later on)
4. Mark explored areas as explored.
5. Mini map.
6. Add the blast spell from atari/c64
7. Add the key (its in the code randomize its location between the 8 levels 99 dungeons
8. Add the "Gateway" that needs the key (randomize its location on lvl 8 between the 99 dungeons.

8levels of 99 dungeons each is quite a bit not explored.  Basically, fix the game so it can be actually finished.  Might be a pipe dream but damn...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:20:48 pm by Keighn »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: COLECOVISION
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:28:30 am »
Is this an easy platform to modify?
If it was easy, don't you think there would be more hacks..?

I suppose getting to the point would be asking how hard would it be to edit the game to nix (get rid of) the timer and add a way to go up and down levels.
I think you forgot to mention the specific game you're talking about.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 03:19:46 pm »
I was looking around And i saw so few colecovision hacks.  Is this an easy platform to modify?
As platforms go, yes, I think it's one of the easiest, along with the near-identical SG-1000. The graphics are in a straightforward format, the Z80 processor is very well-documented, and things like compression are rare if they happen at all. I've been able to translate two SG-1000 games (both of which were ported independently to ColecoVision) with little more than a hex editor, a tile viewer, and a relative search program.

That said, the things you're trying to do require programming skill, and are difficult on any platform. Why not start by trying to hack a game like Dig Dug or Pac-Man to use different sprites, and take it from there?

I'm guessing the program you mean, BTW, is Gateway to Apshai. If you understand assembly language you might be able to look at the Atari or C64 versions and, after considerable effort, duplicate their approach. If you don't understand assembly, it'd be more or less impossible to do the things you ask.

Keighn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »
Yeah, I completely forgot to post the name. *Fixed now.

I did rather enjoy Kroah's decompiling page.

He also chatted about it on AtariAge.

I swear i saw an ap created for android that was a touch screen Gateway to Apshai.