News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there any sort of list of translation projects going on?  (Read 1152 times)

Saihig

• View Profile
Is there any sort of list of translation projects going on?
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:21:50 pm »
Hello. So I was looking into taking part of some fan translation of a video game and stumbled up this site.
I'm looking to do J>E (E>J could be interesting as well, but J>E for now) and preferably an RPG.
I have absolutely zero knowledge of coding or programming though, so anything would need to be explained to me in layman's terms.
If there is no such list, would I pretty much just need to go through all the posts in this thread and look for something?

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Re: Is there any sort of list of translation projects going on?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:41:46 am »
http://www.dynamic-designs.us/d-dforum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=655 - the closest one I can think of, but that's just for SNES (and it's sorta outdated, a lot of these are already done). Generally, groups work on projects in silence, until they're almost done and/or nearly done. Most people work on older consoles (and Nintendo consoles in general, including the likes of DS), but there are some which are much less popular with crowd, such as Wonderswan or most CD-based consoles. The least popular ones would have to be the PCs though, like PC-98 and so on. What systems are you looking for specifically? Or is it just everything in general? If so, you may have to do some digging.

I can tell you that one group is doing Jungle Wars for the GB now, they may need some assistance (there's a thread on the forum). Other than that, can't think of anything specific off the top of my head.

nf6429

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:37:31 pm »
Like cccmar said, not many translation lists exist, yet alone are maintained. Best try is checking personal projects and help wanted. For RPG ones I know exist, there's aqualung who's doing jungle wars 1 and 2, Risae is doing Growlanser 6 VI, not sure if they need more help, but they have a discord so you can ask. There's was also Ripper5555 who's doing Gunnm: Martian Memory, who was using the deepl translator only, you can ask him if you can be his translator. There's quite a bit, and not just RPG's, Olivia's Mystery is open to translation with the text on Google drive, and that's a puzzle game.

Saihig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 08:17:48 pm »
The system itself isn't a big issue.
Mostly just want to try doing an RPG.
Perhaps I'll see what's going on with Jungle Wars.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 01:32:46 pm »
Hollowaytape is working on some RPGs per his signature, also Skyewelse said that the Wander Wonder translation( a PC Action RPG) was still a thing, but that was over a year ago when I read it. MrRichard999 also typically works on a ton of things, so he may appreciate any offers. These guys are all on Twitter, Hollowaytape at least also has an account here you could sent a pm to.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:09:39 pm »
I'm looking forward to Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2. I vaguely know of some other things like Ys vs Trails in the Sky, it's supposed to be getting a revised patch sooner or later.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 09:53:43 am »
Several problems with such a thing.

Many like to work in private on them. This allows a) them work at their own pace with no great expectation of work and b) stops any requests to test the beta.

You will also want to be on guard for time wasters on your part. For as many times as we have seen hackers extract a nicely formatted script and built some kind of reinsertion tool or enough notes to do it sharpish then we have seen translators be given scripts that it would be almost as much effort to reinsert as is possible to be (a simple text dump is one thing and might be great for gamefaqs but is often less than useful for translation efforts and you might expect to spend 60+ hours transcribing it back again, assuming said text dump includes useful information about who is saying it and any additional context).

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 04:45:00 pm »
I would say translate away if you don't expect or care about seeing your translation released as a patch later down the line. I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of the experience. If you just want the experience of translating a game, go buck wild. If you want something to become of your work, be wary of who you partner with.

Anyhow, you can go to the abandoned projects section of the site and browse around. The hacker bongo' left a bunch of stuff years back that never really went anywhere and I reckon there's a few RPG's in there with scripts to translate.

Saihig

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 04:01:36 pm »
Well, I figure if I'm going to do it, someone might as well get something out of it. That would help in terms of motivation. I'm essentially always translating stuff in my head as I play anyway since I always play Japanese developed games in their original language.
I don't see an abandoned project section, but I assume that since they are abandoned, no one would actually use anything that was translated.

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 04:14:41 pm »
Well, I figure if I'm going to do it, someone might as well get something out of it. That would help in terms of motivation. I'm essentially always translating stuff in my head as I play anyway since I always play Japanese developed games in their original language.
I don't see an abandoned project section, but I assume that since they are abandoned, no one would actually use anything that was translated.

Not quite. That section is generally for stuff that someone else stopped working on; essentially, you could put all the hacking work or scripts in there to make it easier for others who want to do either part themselves. However, there is a project we could use some help with perhaps - it's a fairly big one, but half of it is translated. Drop my a private message and I'll let you know more about the details. You can decide yourself if you wanna give it a shot. :)

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Translators
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 08:16:04 am »
Saihig-san, it would be superb if you have the time and will to help out with the translation of Tomato Adventure. It looks like there is a translated script, but Njosro-san used Google Translate to translate some other parts and it would probably be best if a human did it instead. Thank you so much for your offer, Saihig-san! Have a 1337 weekend! http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30978
Please translate Tomato Adventure for GBA!
http://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 09:20:29 am »
Saihig-san, it would be superb if you have the time and will to help out with the translation of Tomato Adventure. It looks like there is a translated script, but Njosro-san used Google Translate to translate some other parts and it would probably be best if a human did it instead. Thank you so much for your offer, Saihig-san! Have a 1337 weekend! http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30978

It's done already. Demille translated the script recently and me and him posted it in that thread, just in case. :) That's pretty much it for that project, now it's all in the hands of Njosro/[Unknown].