News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros: The Movie (1993) Extended / Restored  (Read 6819 times)

tygerbug

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros: The Movie (1993) Extended / Restored
« on: September 21, 2020, 04:59:52 am »
I've been working on an extended cut of the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie, which starred Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, and Samantha Mathis. This is an officially-approved project.

EDIT: Watch it here now!
https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs

Restoration comparison and commentary:
https://youtu.be/d-4yy9oBKN4

Are there any fan-games and fan-hacks out there which take inspiration from the Super Mario Bros 1993 movie?

At the end of the film, Koopa's ex-henchmen Iggy and Spike pitch the idea of "Super Koopa Cousins."

I'd always imagined something like the Super Famicom Back to the Future game, or perhaps a graphics-hacked Tiger Electronics game?

Hazenbecker made some NES-style artwork here:
https://twitter.com/HazenBecker/status/1031693022822420480

There was more in a manual which isn't online anymore I guess .....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:17:21 am by tygerbug »

jimstrom

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros: The Movie (1993) Extended / Restored
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 04:11:16 pm »
Really interesting project, i will follow this with great excitement.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:50:54 pm »
Unfortunately, as far as I know, no fan games or hacks exist that are based on the movie. I've seen mockups though, specifically this guy's pixel art: https://twitter.com/Gypopothomas/status/1246880369049296901 . And I made a little tribute to it myself when playing around with SMAS redrawn but it's not something I was gonna put in the final game, it was just for fun...

Good luck with your project though, the Mario movie has always been near and dear to my heart and I'm always happy to see it get more love.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:15:34 pm by pocket »
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

tygerbug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:16:19 pm »
"I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1."

Someone should make a Mesen HDPack for Zelda 1 which gives it the look of SNES/BS Zelda.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:09:49 am »
There’s this hack of Tiny Toon Adventures NES that replaces Montana Max with President Koopa among other movie references.
Are there any fan-games and fan-hacks out there which take inspiration from the Super Mario Bros 1993 movie?

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1016/

tygerbug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 03:11:36 am »

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 07:35:28 pm »
I made a little tribute to it myself when playing around with SMAS redrawn but it's not something I was gonna put in the final game, it was just for fun...

That looks pretty cool.  :thumbsup:

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 06:03:04 pm »
this is some of the worst films of all time! :banghead:

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 06:32:43 pm »
Well I've seen some of the worst movies had successful cartoons like the Godzilla 98 movie (it's really faithful to the Godzilla of the olden days). Maybe this game will make the best out of the 2nd worst Mario movie (first to me came to the end of the Anime Mario movie with the prince) hopefully.

NesDraug

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 08:34:30 am »
I'd like to have a watch party on discord and watch this with fans. ^_^
✍️ Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

💀 Join my crypt on discord: https://discord.gg/sPb9zTZqvr

The Beaky Buccaneer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 12:02:16 am »
@tygerbug - I've found Super Mario Bros.: The Movie to be a bizarre curiousity since it was first released, and I've always appreciated the efforts that've been put into shedding light on how it came to be. I watched your Morton Jankel Cut recently, and was impressed by what a difference it makes to the film (even if it can be interpreted as an additional 20 minutes of pain ;)) - the extra context helps it (and some of the tie-in products from the time) to make much more sense, especially when it comes to the rivalry with Scapelli, which in the released film ends up looking more like Mario is sour over a better plumbing business than his being chosen by local companies, rather than due to him being undercut by a dodgy dealer. :laugh:

When I saw this thread, I just had to drop in to thank you for the work that you've put into this (and, while I'm at it, with The Thief and the Cobbler, as well). Thanks very much! :thumbsup:

Are there still plans for this extended cut to get an official release at some point?

As for hacks based on the movie, I've never heard of any, and to this day I remain surprised that nobody has created something based on the "Super Koopa Cousins" pitch from the movie's stinger - it was one of the first things that I expected to find on RHDN. :laugh:

jim35

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 01:28:25 am »

Are there still plans for this extended cut to get an official release at some point?

It’s on the recently released Australian blu ray of the super Mario bros the movie just not cleaned up like the version you saw it’s rougher. Also the blu ray is region free in case you were wondering.

The Beaky Buccaneer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 02:58:41 am »
@jim35 - Nice! Thanks for that - I'll keep an eye out for it. :thumbsup:

tygerbug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 07:07:43 am »
    Animation by Izzy8bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDvtz5FoTY

When I was hired to do this (official?) extended cut, the plan was very clearly to release it officially on Blu-Ray.

But that kept getting held up somehow -- as it turned out, indefinitely -- I wasn't sure why -- and I ended up leaking it to Archive instead, so that people would get to see the project. That turned out to be the right move, at least for the fans.

Disney hasn't been interested in doing a US release of the material, so far. A revised UK release may be a better bet.

Umbrella, who just released the Australian Blu-Ray, didn't communicate with our team (or at least not with what I was doing), and decided to do their own thing. They put one of our unrestored transfers of the VHS workprint on the Blu-Ray in full. It's deinterlaced to a smudgy 30fps (rather than a smudgy 60fps) and upscaled to HD. This was already done and produced by the time we heard about it. It may satisfy those who just wanted to see a raw transfer of the workprint VHS in full, but it's certainly not my restored version. (A certain end song is also muted.) It contains none of my work, apart from my requesting that a better transfer be done of the VHS, if that counts. Two (nearly identical) transfers were done, which I called 57 and 70. The Blu-Ray uses 57.

It's strange and disappointing, to be honest. I was hired (and paid) to do an official edit which has not yet been used officially. Time will tell, I suppose.

I spoke to Slate about the edit here:
https://slate.com/culture/2021/06/super-mario-bros-movie-restoration-morton-jankel-cut.html?via=rss_socialflow_twitter

Other folks spoke to DenofGeek here:
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/story-behind-super-mario-bros-movie-extended-cut/

I was going to do more work on the Super Mario Bros Extended Cut, but decided to move on to an Ultra HD restoration of Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure (1977), which took six months of work, and which came out today. We'd been planning to do this (again) for fourteen years.

https://archive.org/details/raggedyannandy1977hd
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 06:26:57 am by tygerbug »

jim35

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 12:47:11 pm »
I wish the all the film elements could be found and unlikely as is to happen get a uhd hdr version. I hate that Disney had to be the company that owns it. I wish a cult classic boutique home media company got the rights.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:22:19 am by KingMike »

RetroProf

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 07:34:29 am »
I would like to say thank you for your efforts.

I only discovered the SMB movie last year (original cut), having skipped it back in the day due to bad press.

I was astonished at how genuinely excellent the film is, including it's subtle anti-fascist message. It feels very relevant today - more so than before maybe.

But I also liked the story and the practical visual effects. The original cut was very coherent. Extremely so. Easy to follow, decent comedic and action beats. I watch and genuinely regard it as a well made movie.

I have a long list of films which I've seen, which critics love, which I loathe and I cannot make head nor tail of. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, for example. Complete nonsensical gibberish. Super Mario Movie? It has a beginning, a middle, and end, and I had no trouble following or enjoying it.

Thank you for taking the trouble to restore it like this. :)

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 07:05:22 pm »
I will admit, while I did watch the film, I never thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
Spoiler:
Sure, that 1986 anime film had an ending on par with Super Mario Odyssey's (since I'm a MarioxPeach purist, like with the Pokemon anime and Adventure Time in terms of straight MalexFemale ships that started following the very first episodes of each), which wasn't all that great, but the 1993 movie was...lacking. Right down to its cliffhanger of an ending.
And I think that following the film's release, Hollywood Pictures went out of business. If that happened, it serves them right for making what most people call one of the worst films in history, and by extension one of the worst game adaptations in history. Hopefully, with Mr. Miyamoto and Nintendo by their side, Illumination will correct every single one of Hollywood Pictures' mistakes. And I hate to say this, since I'm a Nintendo fan, but to reference an old Sega ad: Paramount Does What Hollywood Pictures Don't.

Jack_Vincent13

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2021, 01:46:08 am »
I'm blown away at how blatantly belligerent some of these responses are; Hateful and Distasteful opinions. I myself am a huge fan, and absolutely loved this movie from the very first time I saw it. With all it quirks and ingenious adaptions in a live action setting, not to mention the CGI on Yoshi was outstanding. And not that my opinion matters anymore than the negative ones, but I don't think this "Thread" was started so members could discuss their strong dislike of the original cut, or the extended cut. No jokes here, people enjoy this movie and if you don't, politely make your own thread discussing Super Mario Bros. Movie hate and political nuances.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 01:51:21 am by Jack_Vincent13 »