News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games per credit: Arcade VS. Home Console  (Read 666 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Games per credit: Arcade VS. Home Console
« on: September 19, 2020, 10:52:55 pm »
I just got back from the local arcade downtown (and yeah I'm drunk off my ass, thankyouverymuch). I beat Marvel VS. Capcom with 3 credits, I think.

It made me think; how was the credits-per-playthrough ratio on arcade-to-home ports in the early days?

Anyone here have firsthand experience with this sort of thing? I was a kid back then; I wouldn't have known what the hell was going on if you asked me. I know that some arcade-to-home ports limited your continues and some didn't; of those that did, you'd usually get 3-5 continues if any.

How did people feel about paying $60-$80 per home console game, back in those days? You'd have to spend money to drive to the arcade, play the game, and drive home, I'd imagine. But $60-$80? That seems steep.

What say you?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Re: Games per credit: Arcade VS. Home Console
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 01:43:34 am »
Depending on what the arcade offered as far as amount and quality of games, between $5-$15 most is what I would spend. I would spend up to $1 playing classics like Double Dragon and Double Dragon 2. I usually wouldn't need more than 2 credits to beat most fighting games. Beat Em Up games like Double Dragon and driving games like Outrun were some of my favorite.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 05:30:52 am »
Off the top of my head, console ports tended to limit them to below 10. One exception is G&G for MD. I've always thought it should be up to me how many I want to use.

Don't have enough experience with arcade games to say how many I needed, we usually just tried them a couple of times and moved on. Once me, my brother and my uncle spent like 30-40 bucks on T2 and beat it, which was mine or my brother's birthday IIRC. From what I've emulated later on I'd have to spend maybe 8-12 credits on most of them to beat them.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:50:10 am »
I remember $5 (When games were almost universally a quarter a play) lasting me several hours typically. If you were decent at a game 10 continues sounds about right, though some games I'd plow $20 into to beat (Ninja Gaiden and Metal Slug X come to mind).

Some companies were real bastards about it, especially Konami: Games like Contra, Super C and Haunted Castle (And I'm sure others) would limit you to 3 or so continues before making you restart on level 1. I never did beat Contra in the arcade as a kid because of that. Seems counter intuitive to trying to get as many quarters out of people as possible.

So I guess paying 1/3 of a home console game in extreme cases for a full playthrough of game with vastly superior graphics didn't seem like such a bad deal back then. You could also just jump around a play five minutes of a dozen games if you wanted. It was kind of like streaming in that regard (Also as in zero ownership).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:55:23 am by Sliver X »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:51:55 pm »
Some companies were real bastards about it, especially Konami: Games like Contra, Super C and Haunted Castle (And I'm sure others) would limit you to 3 or so continues before making you restart on level 1. I never did beat Contra in the arcade as a kid because of that. Seems counter intuitive to trying to get as many quarters out of people as possible.

About the same mindset as to whether to make finishing the hardest difficulty on console games a requirement (for the proper ending) or bonus content. Gotta GIT (REALLY, REALLY) GUD. :P (like, more than I would :D )
I've heard Konami America was a proponent of the former, while Japan felt the later.

But you know, at least Konami made the credit limit pretty clear.
Would you prefer they wait 'til the end of the game to suddenly deny credit-feeding? (I know Tecmo has done that in a few games, as much as people like to think one certain game that did that was "a bug" especially because they watched a certain video creator who may or may not have himself known better?)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 10:09:10 pm »
Would you prefer they wait 'til the end of the game to suddenly deny credit-feeding? (I know Tecmo has done that in a few games, as much as people like to think one certain game that did that was "a bug" especially because they watched a certain video creator who may or may not have himself known better?)

I think SNK's Time Soliders does that. And there's some idiocy in shooters like Ketsui.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 05:05:42 am »
That's even worse, Shinobi 1 also does that.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

yolomate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 01:22:05 pm »
I like Golden Axe for Sega CD!!!more hard!!! and plus more choose game!! ;D