News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I need your opinions on Super Mario 3D All Stars  (Read 814 times)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
I need your opinions on Super Mario 3D All Stars
« on: September 19, 2020, 01:22:57 pm »
So I wanna buy Super Mario 3D All Stars, right? But I have Mario 64, and Super Mario Sunshine emulated, and my have a physical copy of Super Mario Galaxy. "I play that game through my Wii U" I also have Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo DS that I play through my 3DS XL.

So, should I buy 3D All Stars, or should I pass on it?

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
Re: I need your opinions on Super Mario 3D All Stars
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 01:28:59 pm »
So I wanna buy Super Mario 3D All Stars, right? But I have Mario 64, and Super Mario Sunshine emulated, and my have a physical copy of Super Mario Galaxy. "I play that game through my Wii U" I also have Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo DS that I play through my 3DS XL.

So, should I buy 3D All Stars, or should I pass on it?

Pass. There's not enough reason to play the collection unless you can't already emulate them on the go.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:26:20 pm »
It's up to you Googie, the new switch release has remastered all 3 games and fixed bugs ect. I am getting it because i dont have all 3 and these are the best version's of the 3 games. It has been confirmed by Digital Foundry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5qOYp9ihY

Also in your case you could sell your original copy's to make the money back.A good example is when they put the remasterd zelda OOT on 3d's they did add little new features to that version.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 06:22:51 pm »
It's up to you Googie, the new switch release has remastered all 3 games and fixed bugs ect. I am getting it because i dont have all 3 and these are the best version's of the 3 games. It has been confirmed by Digital Foundry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5qOYp9ihY

I get what you're saying, but they're not really the best versions of the games. The Mario 64 is the "bug fix edit" that removes classic voice lines and the BLJ. I guess Sunshine's widescreen is notable, but for the most part, they're all straights ports with adapted controls. The hacking community has done a lot more to optimize these games than Nintendo put effort into.

I hate to come off as "that guy", but Nintendo could have done a lot more IMO to make this worth purchasing.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 07:05:14 pm »
There were no "bugfixes" as far as I know.
For those that don't know, the ROM used for SM64 is actually the Shindou Edition, which was like an improved version of SM64 they had ready for the N64 DD, which included rumble, but at the same time removes the well-known speedrunning tactic of BLJ, and removed the line of Mario throwing Bowser from the infamous "So long-a, Bowser!" to "Buh-bye!".

There's nothing new here except maybe some AI upscaled textures and button prompts change to match the Switch's button layout, that's it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:10:53 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 08:25:45 pm »
There were no "bugfixes" as far as I know.
For those that don't know, the ROM used for SM64 is actually the Shindou Edition, which was like an improved version of SM64 they had ready for the N64 DD, which included rumble, but at the same time removes the well-known speedrunning tactic of BLJ, and removed the line of Mario throwing Bowser from the infamous "So long-a, Bowser!" to "Buh-bye!".

There's nothing new here except maybe some AI upscaled textures and button prompts change to match the Switch's button layout, that's it.

This is how I should have said it :D

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 08:53:05 pm »
The Mario 64 is the "bug fix edit" that removes classic voice lines and the BLJ.
Is the BLJ really of even the slightest bit of interest to more than 0.001% of players? Aside from being fun to watch?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 09:26:11 pm »
Is the BLJ really of even the slightest bit of interest to more than 0.001% of players? Aside from being fun to watch?

It's fun to pull off and is so ingrained in the Mario64 mindset that it's almost a sin to remove it for almost no reason.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 10:20:58 pm »
It's fun to pull off and is so ingrained in the Mario64 mindset that it's almost a sin to remove it for almost no reason.
Well, there we we-a go: I guess Super Mario 3D All-Stars can only be enjoyed by those who lack the "Mario64 mindset".  :P
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 11:08:40 pm »
Well, there we we-a go: I guess Super Mario 3D All-Stars can only be enjoyed by those who lack the "Mario64 mindset".  :P

Not everyone has to bow at the feet of the mighty will of Nintendo. The compliation is fine, sure, but theres no reason to buy it if you've already played the games or have them available to emulate with better improvements.

scarlet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 12:17:56 am »

LOLLLLLL. I have a feeling the "Mario64 mindset" is in the minority of the people who grew up playing Mario64, my dude. =)

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 02:11:14 pm »
Yeah after watching the digital foundry review, my choice is definitely getting the 3d allstars for the best verion of sunshine and Galaxy. And i am also now getting the 3ds verion of mario 64 that has the option to play as wario and might have that gliched jump (whitch i really don't care about). It's night in day for the improvements of textures and 1080p resolution and glitch/bug fixes. And who know's there are update patch's all the time they could add more features down the road.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 04:19:29 pm »
i really like how star bit collecting and shooting seems to work (from videos) in Galaxy

i just wish they had made a pointer mode for Sunshine, that you could play wiimote style (or similar to Galaxy with the pro)

but having spin on a button is a plus too.  it's just gonna suck if it is a LOT better controlwise, and not being able to play Galaxy 2 in the same manner

i really think Nintendo shoulda put a tiny effort into making a proper 64 remake, with DS enhancements, widescreen, and complete redone graphics and been it's own thing

AND

released Mario "128" All Stars with Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 & 2, and made Sunshine control more similar to Galaxy's

but, heck i still got a copy ordered. if only to be able to play Galaxy waggle-less it will probably be worth it

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 05:40:45 pm »
I'm not going to get it.  Emulated ports of games easily found aren't exactly what I'm lookng for.

But if you're looking to play SM64 at least in a manner that isn't the DS version without an N64, this isn't a bad version.  I saw some comparison footage and it does look like Nintendo improved their emulator since the virtual console days.  Nice effort, if a little too sharp looking to me due to internal resolution upscaling.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 06:05:52 pm »
i really like how star bit collecting and shooting seems to work (from videos) in Galaxy

but, heck i still got a copy ordered. if only to be able to play Galaxy waggle-less it will probably be worth it

Not to sound like a downer, but the spinning is the ONLY thing that has been made into a motion-less thing.
The rest of Galaxy still uses motion controls. All of the minigames, the Star pointer, blue stars that pull Mario. Heck even the Main menu screen uses motion controls, even the Save prompt requires you to point manually at the "Yes" option to save. Both Joycons and Pro controller handle the pointer with the internal gyroscope, but that can desync and you need to press R to center it if that happens.

Sure the motion controls can be substituted by the touchscreen, but good luck playing the bubble bursting minigames with it.

The whole motionless Galaxy nonsense some reviewers or people have been parroting over is nothing but a fallacy. Motion controls is still required for that game for most of the things that require it.

Don't know why Nintendo made the idiotic decision of not using the right stick for a motionless pointer. Dolphin wins here, hands down.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:10:59 pm by ShadowOne333 »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 07:31:02 pm »
yea it deff still uses the pointer, but it does away with the shake/waggle crap, ant tbh (i havent played it yet tho, so my mind could be super changy) the reseting at the press of a button seems like it will be better than being locked to having to poimt at the EZACT SAME SPOT ALL DAY, just to play.

and yes it looks a lot more natural pointing with a controller instead of a wii wand. i dont have a problem with that part, as i said i think it would be DOPE AS HECK if they added pointer function to Sunshine, just point and squirt baby!

but yes, obviously Nintendo really could have done MUCH MUCH better with this, but at least it isn't quite as lazy as Mario's 25th re-release of plain all stars, without even World

-edit---
actually (i think i heard this) the worst part is that motion is disabled in handheld mode, so you HAVE to use the touchscreen, which looks like GARBAGE