News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Any tips for hacking PS roms? (Alundra)  (Read 196 times)

sveniroth

• View Profile
Any tips for hacking PS roms? (Alundra)
« on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:05 am »
I've done a little hacking with Neutopia (a PCE/TG-16 game), but Playstation roms are so much bigger, and there's tons of empty space(?) in the code (repeated FF or 00) for Alundra. Are there any resources or methods for dealing with roms that are 1000 times bigger than 16-bit roms? So far I've only been using the Vinesauce rom corruptor and a Hex editor, perhaps there are other tools I could use?

MysticLord

• View Profile
Re: Any tips for hacking PS roms? (Alundra)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 04:17:51 pm »
Cheat Engine is open source and actively developed, you could give that a try for RAM editing/searching, breakpoints, disassembly, and maybe logging.
https://cheatengine.org/downloads.php

PS1 games - and all systems that use CDs and probably DVDs - differ from other systems in that you need to deal with the disc image to insert/export files and get it running on real hardware and more accurate emulators. Thankfully much of this is automated with tools like CD Mage, ECCRegen, and PSXImager. If you're having trouble getting something to run, always try to fix the EDC/ECC.

It wouldn't hurt to open up a disc image in a hex editor, read documentation on how sectors work and what directory sectors are, and scroll through it to see for yourself.