News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I'm playing Idea no Hi. I'd like to propose something:  (Read 920 times)

aqualung

• View Profile
I'm playing Idea no Hi. I'd like to propose something:
« on: September 15, 2020, 06:57:45 am »
I put this here because I'm not sure where it could fit, as it's not a translation request, but also not a personal project, nor asking about the status of an ongoing translation, etc.

The fact is, lately I decided to start playing the snes rpg Idea no Hi, as I read a post about people using OCR software to read Japanese manga and then using translation services such as DeepL. I tried the same using OCR soft with snes9x and the results have been good enough to play the game from start to finish. I already know a little Japanese so I don't start from zero. Some dialogs I understand them perfectly, and for the rest I OCR them and use DeepL (and also a little of my own common sense ;D) to get a general understanding of what it says.

And now it comes my question: is anybody currently working seriously in translating Idea? Or at least, has someone translated the script, even if it hasn't even starting to insert it into the rom yet?

Because, if there is already a project going on or someone has at least translated the script, I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I'll play the game on my own and that's all. But if there isn't any yet, I could do a little extra work and save every line translated in a text document, and then upload it for anyone who wants to use it (for instance to properly insert the translation into the game, etc). That way, other people could also benefit from the work I'm doing right now.

Later, my intention would be doing the same with other snes games such as Jungle Wars 2, Madara 2, Verne World, etc (assuming the OCR soft also works well with these other games. So far it's been a little hit-or-miss, to tell the truth. With Idea no Hi, it reads the text fairly well and I only have to do minimal corrections to what the soft manages to grab. But with other games, it has been a disaster).

UPDATE: link to everything that has been translated so far (from the start to Mikoto joining the group) https://www.dropbox.com/s/4erw6pn57cu00ce/Idea%20no%20hi%20translation%2001.pdf?dl=0

UPDATE 2: two more pdf files. file 02 follows up to the end of Dr. Poe's chapter.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c82j2tn3wp6tufv/Idea%20no%20Hi%20translation%2002.pdf?dl=0

File 03 ends with the party reaching the underworld
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8obdak2c1ibrqi/Idea%20no%20Hi%20translation%2003.pdf?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:45:05 pm by aqualung »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm playing Idea no Hi. I'd like to propose something:
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 11:09:19 am »
I tried the same using OCR soft with snes9x and the results have been good enough to play the game from start to finish.
I'm not sure how exactly you've been doing that, but Retroarch has that functionality included these days.

Anyway, I tried Googling and this was on the first page of results:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28568.0
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:38:09 am »
I think it's probably better to have the script checked by someone with more experience in Japanese if you want to release a translation of any kind, just in case, especially if there's no kanji at all in there. Better safe than sorry and all that. It's more likely you'd find a person who knows Japanese really well and wants to just edit the script, as opposed to translating it from scratch. If it's just for yourself, Retroarch should do the trick.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 02:33:51 pm »
I'm not sure how exactly you've been doing that, but Retroarch has that functionality included these days.

Anyway, I tried Googling and this was on the first page of results:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28568.0

Yes, I know of that project (in fact, I even wrote on that thread). But, according to some rumors, I have my doubts that it consist of a serious attempt.

I also know Retroarch but it doesn't use DeepL, which to me is the best way to translate Japanese right now.

What I'm doing is using capture2text on the snes9x window and then paste the results into DeepL (and when the capturing software makes mistakes, I fix them first on NJStar, a Word processor that supports Japanese)

I think it's probably better to have the script checked by someone with more experience in Japanese if you want to release a translation of any kind, just in case, especially if there's no kanji at all in there. Better safe than sorry and all that. It's more likely you'd find a person who knows Japanese really well and wants to just edit the script, as opposed to translating it from scratch. If it's just for yourself, Retroarch should do the trick.

Yes. In fact, once the translated script is uploaded, my idea was for someone more fluent than me in Japanese to give it a look and suggest corrections. DeepL works really well, though. So long as the text has enough kanji, the translation looks accurate enough in most cases. But first I wanted to ask in case someone had translated the script already (some group working in this game in secret, for instance), so as not to do the same work twice, hence my initial post.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:42:26 pm by aqualung »

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 09:57:53 pm »
While it probably won't go anywhere given my lack of dedication and skill level, I've looked into Idea no Hi again lately. I started a ROM map on DataCrystal, if you want a bit more information on text data offsets than I gave back then. (For one thing, the dialogue is actually stored over multiple non-contiguous banks.)

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: I\'m playing Idea no Hi. I\'d like to propose something:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 12:54:01 pm »
While it probably won't go anywhere given my lack of dedication and skill level, I've looked into Idea no Hi again lately. I started a ROM map on DataCrystal, if you want a bit more information on text data offsets than I gave back then. (For one thing, the dialogue is actually stored over multiple non-contiguous banks.)

Sorry, I didn't see there had been a new reply to my post. Any further info about the game is appreciated, although it isn't my intention to insert the script back into the game as I'd have to learn snes cpu Assembler, how to expand roms, relocate pointers, decrypt text if needed, etc and that's too much for my so-so brainpower.

I only intend to play these snes games I was craving to play for long and, in the meantime, leave some text files with their scripts dumped and, if possible, with a barebones English translations to be revised if anyone with the appropriate skills wants to insert them into its respective games.

Right now I'm half-way into Idea no Hi (I'm in Jad's chapter,
Spoiler:
trying to infiltrate into the museum to steal the diamond
).

I've dumped almost every line of dialog up to that point in the game into a text file and started pasting my interpretation of DeepL results (i've had to filter and modify several things because sometimes, DeepL can come up with some quite messed up things,  ;D ;D ;D). For instance, this small pearl from when I reached Mexico (the 12 year old in me is still giggling  ;D):

https://imgur.com/gallery/zoSPrue

October 01, 2020, 02:40:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I'm ready to share what I have "translated" (if it may be called so) of the Idea script so far.

I was using a Google Docs file originally, but sharing it meant giving a few of my info online (my personal gmail address, for instance) and given how things are with people wanting to raid your place carrying pitchforks over a simple word in a translation, I'd rather not do it. So I've downloaded the Google Doc in PDF format and have uploaded into a newly created Dropbox in which I registered using  a dummy mail account I use for spam and such things.

The file covers from the beginning of the game up to when Mikoto joins the group after
Spoiler:
being cursed in the air-raid shelter
. I might have missed a few lines here and there because I haven't talked to every npc exhaustively. I've also left out a sidequest that consists in
Spoiler:
talking to Rinko's dead parents in a factory in Fukushima.

Here's the link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4erw6pn57cu00ce/Idea%20no%20hi%20translation%2001.pdf?dl=0

The translation has been made using DeepL and my barely JLPT N4 Japanese level, so don't expect a Tom, Aishsha (nor any other well known translator) level of accuracy, I'm nowhere near their league. In fact, I've left a few things I couldn't made sense of with "TO DO" tags to give it another look later or ask for help.

By the way, if there REALLY are other people working in this game even if it's in secret (just throw me a PM, I'm not going to spill the beans), now is a good moment to say it, before I continue further ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:46:17 pm by aqualung »

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 08:04:07 pm »
Well, time for another update, this time it's 2 files (I've updated the first post to add the links). I'm near the ending, so hopefully the next file will be the last.

This game's plot is really curious and also oddly prophetic for the time the game was made
Spoiler:
(there's a virus that spread throughout the world, a wall that separates Mexico from the US, albeit there's also another one separating the US from Canada...)
. It's almost as bizarre as Earthbound but in a little more somber way. It also reminds of G-O-D a little, with the main character having psychic powers, etc.

I have to warn that there are a few things that might trigger some people. There's one scene of violence against a woman, one npc who says a few not very nice things about men who like cross-dressing, and two confronted cities of only men and only women who talk shit of the opposite gender. I've tried to tone-down them a little to adapt to these new times we're living in. Nevertheless, if someone decides to use these files to attempt a real translation of this game, feel free to modify anything that might sound out of place, oddly phrased (my native language isn't English) or is innacurately translated (I've relied on DeepL to grasp the general meaning of every dialog and then I've made slight changes to make it sound more human and natural). I've also added a few "TO DOs" when I've felt unsure or just couldn't make sense of an expression or a full dialog.

Well, I hope some people find all this work useful someday. Thanks for putting up with me  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:33:45 pm by aqualung »