News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to merge .Xdelta Patches for PSX Game?  (Read 153 times)

FullyFull

• View Profile
How to merge .Xdelta Patches for PSX Game?
« on: September 10, 2020, 09:01:56 am »
I am torn between these two Digimon World 2 rom hacks, and ideally would like to get the benefits from both (General Improvements & Hard Mode).

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5358/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2587/

My understanding is that one cannot simply apply multiple Xdelta patches after the other like you could with .IPS patches, and while I suppose it's possible through GUIFY to do a file by file comparison in order to manually carry over the fewer changes made in the Hard Mode hack (8kb patch compared to the General Improvement patch being 48kb or so), I can only get a dummy file worth 36 MB to show up on Ultra ISO, the rest of DW2s files are hidden...

I am sure either of the patches would be enjoyable on their own, but I have spent far too long on this issue for the past week to give up now  :banghead:, unless it turns out to be impossible, then I would obviously concede, lol.

I am extremely grateful in advance to anyone who can help me put this issue to rest be it for better or worse  :crazy:

EDIT 1: I have two GUIFFY File Compare Reports; Each compares an unpatched Digimon World 2 .BIN to one of the patched versions (Hard Mode or Improvement Hack), I can't seem to upload attachments yet, but I am very eager to share the full reports in case it helps; In the meantime here are the highlights.

Hard Mode
File Compare finished...  16 Changes:  3,642,579 Lines Matched  |   146 Lines Deleted  |   163 Lines Inserted

Improvement Hack
File Compare finished...  48 Changes:  3,642,348 Lines Matched  |   377 Lines Deleted  |   443 Lines Inserted
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:13:52 am by FullyFull »

MysticLord

• View Profile
Re: How to merge .Xdelta Patches for PSX Game?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 05:33:41 pm »
Maybe apply each patch to different but identical copies of the ROM, make PPFs of each against the vanilla ROM, then apply both PPFs to a copy of the vanilla ROM?

FullyFull

• View Profile
Re: How to merge .Xdelta Patches for PSX Game?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:24:16 pm »
Maybe apply each patch to different but identical copies of the ROM, make PPFs of each against the vanilla ROM, then apply both PPFs to a copy of the vanilla ROM?

I tried this out after reading your reply, while the resulting .BIN files (two because one version where Hard.PPF was applied last & Improvement applied last to see what could be lost/overwritten in the process between the two), remained 440mb and in turn loaded up properly, it seems strange that regardless of order the patches were applied, only those changes from Hard Mode remain  :o.

However, this helped me realize that between the two patches, hard mode actually has most of what the improvement patch had on top of higher difficulty/revamped combat; It may not have resulted in what I was initially looking for, but your advice helped me out all the same and I am no longer torn between the two hacks as a result, so thank you very much =).

Although, the following being absent while not a huge deal it is worth noting all the same for the sake of creating the most complete experience.

(Misc changes from Improvement patch)
  • PocketStation Mode added from Japanese version (Coloseum)
  • MaxDrive and Chips are now buyable in Device Dome
  • Exit Game menu added in Digital City

(Postgame content that should still be accessible using Hard Mode Post Game save file with the improvement patched.Bin)
  • Extra Dungeon “Dark Tower” added in Kernel Zone (After Ending)

(New digimon added, most of which are only rookie level)
  • Added Sharmamon
  • Added ModikiBetamon
  • Added Zassomon
  • Added Psychemon
  • Added Aruraumon
  • Added Muchomon
  • Added geremon
  • Added Fugamon

The new digimon added to the improvement patch should be the easiest to add to the hard mode hack as I quote the following from the readme file found here https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/psx/patches/2587readme.txt

"[NOTE 1]: All this Digimons was hidden in the whole ISO, but never was activated, so i enabled now :D"