News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tokimeki Memorial SNES Partial English Translation  (Read 3502 times)

TokimemoFan

• View Profile
Tokimeki Memorial SNES Partial English Translation
« on: September 08, 2020, 05:45:13 pm »
In 2009, someone with the username of "Mijae" began creating an English patch for Tokimeki Memorial for the SNES. He released a patch that translated the HUD and some commonly-appearing strings of text.

He never finished the project, and his site is no longer online: http://sites.google.com/site/tokihack I've been searching for years, but I have never been able to find any links to his patch.

I recently remembered that, in 2009, I downloaded his patch and applied it to a Tokimeki Memorial ROM. I searched my laptop from 2009 to see if the ROM still existed, and I found it! Here are some screenshots:

Here is a link to the patch that will apply a partial English translation to the SNES version of Tokimeki Memorial: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yniibeefyfskbhr/Tokimeki+Memorial+Partial+English+Patch.bps/file

I hesitate to call this "Lost Media", since that's a weighty term, but because I've managed to uncover the ROM and patch after years of unsuccessful searching, it kinda does feel like I've just stumbled across some legendary lost media.

Hopefully, this partial translation patch will inspire someone to start a Tokimemo translation project that actually gets finished for once!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:41:07 am by TokimemoFan »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Tokimeki Memorial SNES Partial English Translation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 11:00:47 am »
If I have a patched ROM and an unpatched ROM, can I run them through a program to "extract" the patch?
That is how patches are made, yes. Just make sure the patched ROM and the unpatched ROM are exactly the same size first - if one of them has a header and the other does not, then it will make a big mess.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TokimemoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 02:15:02 pm »
That is how patches are made, yes. Just make sure the patched ROM and the unpatched ROM are exactly the same size first - if one of them has a header and the other does not, then it will make a big mess.

That's great news! What program do I use to do this, though?

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 09:55:07 pm »
Use the following patcher:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

As for translating the game, many people have tried, many people have failed. Why? I assume it's because of the game's funky dialogue storage system. The guy who made the patch even said they had trouble locating the pointers...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:18:58 pm by FCandChill »

TokimemoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 01:38:21 am »
Wow! I didn't think the process would be so fast and easy! Now I can share my discovery, legally!

Here is a link to the partial English translation patch: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yniibeefyfskbhr/Tokimeki+Memorial+Partial+English+Patch.bps/file

I know this isn't the right forum to make hack/translation requests, but I really, really hope that one day, someone tries to finish the job.

Jorpho

• View Profile
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 11:50:39 am »
This is really cool but I tried applying the patch to both the 1.0 and Rev A version of Tokimeki on the SNES but I keep getting a checksum mismatch. Since this patch is from 2009 I wonder if it is meant for some older rip of the game.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 01:11:52 pm »
Since this patch is from 2009 I wonder if it is meant for some older rip of the game.
As the patch was freshly created just now, the patch will be for whatever version TokimemoFan happened to have.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 03:12:45 pm »
May I suggest creating a submission?
I don't think it's worth it. Some menus were updated, but that's about it. It's more of a graphics hack than an actual translation. It's easy to dump the game's script but hard to insert due to how the game is programmed. The hacker decided to edit the font to translate some stuff without inserting any dialogue data, is my first impression.

As the patch was freshly created just now, the patch will be for whatever version TokimemoFan happened to have.

It requires a 200 byte header.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 04:05:07 pm »
It requires a 200 byte header.

Okay, I thought it might be something like that but I tried adding a header to my ROM using Tush but it still didn't seem to work.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 04:13:00 pm »
Okay, I thought it might be something like that but I tried adding a header to my ROM using Tush but it still didn't seem to work.

Use Tokimeki Memorial - Densetsu no Ki no Shita de (J) (V1.0)[!].smc. With the header, this is the sha1:
6d6c021023873e5651817f4603435eabbc8297f5

Not that it matters. The translation isn't very good.

Retroplay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 10:24:24 pm »
200 byte header, I assume that's in hex (as in 512 bytes on disk) ?

Would you mind posting hex output of the header ?
No matter if I apply Super Magicom/Wild Card, Pro Fighter etc header, it doesn't output a matching checksum rom.

Btw, I found the readme on Wayback Machine, unfortunately the link to the original ips patch isn't working there.
https://web.archive.org/web/20081015233319/http://www.mijae.com/tokihacki/tokihacki.html

TokiHacki version notes

Version 0.1 patch
This patch translates the following:

Nearly all of the main opening menu (except title screen), including name/birthday/bloodtype entry
    Some of the major daily messages: "What should I do today?", new semesters and major breaks, including Golden Week.
    "Today is my date with so-and-so" notifications.
    Girl's profiles, except for horoscopes (should be fixed in next patch, see below)
    Character names used in phone book, profiles, test results, "omake" ending selection, and special-event invites (New Year's, school trip, etc). Basically, everywhere except in dialogue.
    Option menu screens
    System messages in the date-scheduling menu
    Club names, and some club-choosing messages.
    Club choices for the cultural festival
    Most of the date-location book.
    Some of the location names in UL box
    "Memorial Spot" paper: new date spots, event notices, and stadium schedules.
    New Year's fortune results
    Instructions for 100M dash and 3-legged race, and "Ready, Go!" start of 100M dash
    Rei's ending - first draft anyway, I'll rework it a bit later.

Known problems:

Movie and music titles are temporarily removed while I continue re-arranging text and pointers in this area.
    Font looks like shite : p
    Lack of a space between first and last names looks a bit silly in save file menu.

Things that are on my to-do list for next patch:

New better-looking font. (Top priority)
    Putting movie and music titles back in. (Finding out how to hack the genre displays though, may take a while yet)
    Translating the club reminders so you won't get kicked out of your sports club by accident!
    Adding girl's horoscopes to the profiles so they finally look complete (I've already prepared some new tiles w/ the 12 graphical zodiac symbols to get them to fit)
    Changing the default names to reflect the original game where possible, and make other fun Konami refs when not.

September 14, 2020, 12:37:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Nevermind, it's a v1.1 rom.

Anyway, I made a fresh patch for use on a clean headerless Rev 1 (v1.1) rom.
https://mega.nz/file/z01h3ZoB#f4ynoFvaN5vthJyd9wbUdK47AqnIP1He155A5Oh8i6c
Readme by Mijae included.

Apply to
Name:   Tokimeki Memorial - Densetsu no Ki no Shita de (Japan) (Rev 1).sfc
Size:   4194304
CRC32:   ae9f3602
MD5:   cd36eb8982de4bf8369deb9f2f23e590
SHA1:   f46f5b0d964bbf5393763b9ebb8e7c50a9e5c9e7
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:37:23 pm by Retroplay »

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 05:17:48 am »
It should be noted that a project page for this translation does exist and is found here;
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5686/

TokimemoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 01:57:11 am »
It should be noted that a project page for this translation does exist and is found here;
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5686/

Yep, that was me, I submitted it! If you are the reviewer who approved my submission, thank you very much!

I hope it shows up easily on Google so that more people can quickly find this patch when looking for it!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:08:41 pm by TokimemoFan »

Green Jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 01:52:33 pm »
A couple days ago someone tried to remove the translation (and Mijae's community profile), but fortunately both noncompliant requests got rejected.

zabel99

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 08:03:39 am »
It would be sweet if the Saturn or PSX version got translated. Not only are the graphics better but you have voice! Like, Yukari is my favorite character when I'm playing a version that has voice, but reading her slow-moving dialogue in text only on the SNES is intolerable to me.

Hell, I might even be willing to help out some with translation were it a version that has voice.