News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Poll

Should RHDN allow controversial elements in its hacks (total or partial nudity, bad taste humor, social and political satire, etc)?

Yes, of course! Censorship does not belong in the 21st century.
3 (16.7%)
Absolutely not. There are already pages that publish this kind of stuff.
4 (22.2%)
Yes, but only if it is done with respect and good taste.
2 (11.1%)
Always yes, but a rating system (like the ESRB) should be used to warn of inappropriate content.
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 20, 2020, 03:50:18 am

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 8  (Read 27167 times)

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
    • Crying Onion's Youtube Channel
Re: Super Mario Bros. 8
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2021, 03:57:20 pm »
Hi everybody! I'm absolutely glad that so many people are getting involved and showing interest in the project. I loved some of the ideas, especially "Super Mario Infinity" because it's in line with recent titles and doesn't emphasize the hammer idea, which I know is the fresh dish of the menu, but hey, the last title of main saga is called "Odyssey", not "Cap" XD.

Also, look at the design I made, i mean: Mario holding a hammer, a hammer under the title screen and another one as a selection icon. Are we sure there are enough hammers in the title screen? XD

I really want the project to be liked by many, but it's not a Ham-and-Cheese sandwich, and I can't use a title without some people like it and some dislike it, so Wrecking Bros. stays, and I may remove the hammer Mario is holding in the image so it's a little less Redundant.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2021, 05:27:41 pm »
your work is great, i just hope you have a patch with a title that doesn't have the number 8

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2021, 07:58:50 pm »
Hi everybody! I'm absolutely glad that so many people are getting involved and showing interest in the project. I loved some of the ideas, especially "Super Mario Infinity" because it's in line with recent titles and doesn't emphasize the hammer idea, which I know is the fresh dish of the menu, but hey, the last title of main saga is called "Odyssey", not "Cap" XD.

Also, look at the design I made, i mean: Mario holding a hammer, a hammer under the title screen and another one as a selection icon. Are we sure there are enough hammers in the title screen? XD

I really want the project to be liked by many, but it's not a Ham-and-Cheese sandwich, and I can't use a title without some people like it and some dislike it, so Wrecking Bros. stays, and I may remove the hammer Mario is holding in the image so it's a little less Redundant.

Wrecking Bros. is fine, but I think Mario should keep his hammer. I think the hammer in Mario's hand looks better with the overall aesthetic than the hammer right below the title. If you have to take one out, I think the removing the one under the title would make it look more cohesive.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2021, 08:07:52 pm »
Too late XD https://youtu.be/SyLFLb-FJNs

July 11, 2021, 01:37:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
¡Ten months, bros! This has been the end of a long journey. I hope you enjoy my Hack and of course, I remain open to receive some feedback to make those improvements that are convenient.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6047/

P.S. Soon I will share News + Video + Official Artwork created by two great collaborators, stay tuned!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:37:13 pm by CryinOnion »

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2021, 06:50:45 pm »

Custom Box Art Version 1 found here: https://imgur.com/gallery/1gHlFhb

Custom Box Art Version 2 found here: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZJzI32A

July 11, 2021, 06:51:31 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Too late XD https://youtu.be/SyLFLb-FJNs

July 11, 2021, 01:37:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
¡Ten months, bros! This has been the end of a long journey. I hope you enjoy my Hack and of course, I remain open to receive some feedback to make those improvements that are convenient.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6047/

P.S. Soon I will share News + Video + Official Artwork created by two great collaborators, stay tuned!

Well, crap. I just saw this. Maybe I made those box arts for nothing.....
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Green Jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2021, 07:31:31 pm »
I just saw a noncompilant request from USC in the queue, the hack may end up getting removed!
My latest Portuguese translation: Contra (NES) Japanese Version

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2021, 07:46:33 pm »
Green Jerry: I received messages notifying me that this hack violates the site guidelines on explicit content. I set up the non-compliance flag so that the authors have a chance to respond to or clarify the concern. Other reviewers will take a look at the hack as well, so we'll get this sorted out.

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2021, 08:32:44 pm »
Hey! Congratulations Cryonion! Exceptional work!
Create a news for the romhacking homepage too, so it will have good visibility!
As soon as possible I will test and look forward to the next project!Hugs!
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2021, 01:37:11 am »
R.I.P.

Cool site this one is... Anyways, glad I got it in time, and I'm glad you didn't bend to this censorship. :thumbsup:

Really cool hack man! Congrats on the release. :cookie:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2021, 09:55:51 am »
very good, but there is a serious collision problem in mario's head, it doesn't hit anything, if it's corrected, you'll have to fix that skewer of locks that stick out from top to bottom, when it's halfway through due to the head not being hit, but correcting yourself will have to make this obstacle slower or it will be impossible to pass without losing a heart :thumbsup:

diablo666

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2021, 12:53:15 pm »
It is sad that your project was under the departure from this zone. So much effort, and, alas and ah.

Honestly, it looks great. I really say: "You have done everything perfectly .." I would have had such a Hack in my pirated days - I would have claimed that this is a license even at an older age.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2021, 03:32:44 pm »
very good, but there is a serious collision problem in mario's head, it doesn't hit anything, if it's corrected, you'll have to fix that skewer of locks that stick out from top to bottom, when it's halfway through due to the head not being hit, but correcting yourself will have to make this obstacle slower or it will be impossible to pass without losing a heart :thumbsup:

Mario's original moveset is not present in this hack nor the original game. Your hammer is your only weapon.

Also, those skewer obstacles can be passed without losing a heart, as long as you have good timing.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2021, 04:40:31 pm »
Supergamerguy: but mario's head doesn't have a collision, it looks like a phantom head because everything goes through it, if this were corrected it would be much better, right, even the stars that we peeled in the game we can't catch when it plays, but from the waist down

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2021, 03:43:39 pm »
Hi people! Sorry for my delay in replying, but as a divorced "daddy", the time I can spend with my son when he' s on vacation is sacred. Now, let's get to action:

Well, crap. I just saw this. Maybe I made those box arts for nothing.....

Not at all, I love these covers! I was already going to include you in the acknowledgements of the video presentation of the hack for your enthusiasm and numerous contributions in the form of ideas. Many of them have been incorporated at the end so. With your permission, I'd love to add those links to the covers.

I just saw a noncompilant request from USC in the queue, the hack may end up getting removed!

Green Jerry: I received messages notifying me that this hack violates the site guidelines on explicit content. I set up the non-compliance flag so that the authors have a chance to respond to or clarify the concern. Other reviewers will take a look at the hack as well, so we'll get this sorted out.

R.I.P.

Cool site this one is... Anyways, glad I got it in time, and I'm glad you didn't bend to this censorship. :thumbsup:

Really cool hack man! Congrats on the release. :cookie:

It is sad that your project was under the departure from this zone. So much effort, and, alas and ah.

Honestly, it looks great. I really say: "You have done everything perfectly .." I would have had such a Hack in my pirated days - I would have claimed that this is a license even at an older age.

It was something I expected, although honestly before I self-censored my work, I wanted to check whether the site's policies apply in terms of " B&W" or whether they would take context into account.

I have nothing against sites like "BHDN", but I don't feel that projects like this or my previous hack (a fairly respectful political satire) have to be with hacks that play at being deliberately controversial with topics like sex, racism, etc. My hack only includes a topless and a spicy joke, but as the saying goes, "My house, my rules". Although I don't agree with it, I respect that the owners of RHDN want to protect their work and the work of all those who share it on their website and that they prefer not to play with fire and provoke some kind of reaction that destroys it, so plan B: I'll censor my work in order to share it. But don't worry, you won't need to create a hastag #ReleaseTheOnionsCut XD, because with the presentation video I will publish a link to the the full version. I just hope you don't go blind or burn in hell for playing it XDD.

Supergamerguy: but mario's head doesn't have a collision, it looks like a phantom head because everything goes through it, if this were corrected it would be much better, right, even the stars that we peeled in the game we can't catch when it plays, but from the waist down

I haven't forgotten about you flaviogames XD. I understand what the problem is, but let me explain a few things:

1) Mario's sprite is exactly 3 pixels taller than Bob's. I did my best to make them similar in size and not affect the collision box without distorting the plumber's proportions.

2) That collision problem in the sprite's head as you see in the gif already exists in the original game.  Bob's head and hammer go through objects like a ghost. This can be deliberate: A very tight collision box can ruin the game experience. An example? The sewer level in "Bartman meets Radioactive Man". Another explanation (and this is a theory, though based on various indications) is that the developers ran out of time to test and polish the game.

And with that said, I will resubmit the game (this time censored), pray for the best and move on. I hope you can enjoy it soon.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2021, 04:13:01 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your delay CryingOnion, hope you and your son are doing okay. Anyway, it's too bad I never got the chance to download this rom-hack when it was around for a few hours. Hopefully I'll download the hack and be able to try it out once it's reuploaded on the site.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2021, 07:36:33 pm »
CryinOnion: Thanks for your attention your work was amazing, for me this is a new game, but if you fix the collision, please don't forget to fix those wooden spikes that look like pencil points, they keep coming out from top to bottom, it has to take longer to leave or it will be impossible for mario to pass without losing a heart and as there are several of them in a row, death is almost certain :thumbsup:

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2021, 09:26:58 pm »
Believe me bro, it is perfectly possible (and even child's play with some practice) to cross those wooden stakes without any damage:

And it's even easier in the next section of the level (where we ascend inside the tree), because if we're a bit ahead of the camera the spikes don't activate until we've already passed.

About the "Phantom Head", I can't do anything. I don't have the knowledge to modify the collision boxes, and if I did, it would probably be bad for the game.

July 14, 2021, 09:38:36 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Second attempt, this time with a perfectly proper mermaid and the same quote as the English version of Don Doko Don 2 (although it actually says something like "Sorry, I don't date with old men"). Pray for the best...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 09:38:36 pm by CryinOnion »

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2021, 09:47:28 pm »
Hi people! Sorry for my delay in replying, but as a divorced "daddy", the time I can spend with my son when he' s on vacation is sacred. Now, let's get to action:

Not at all, I love these covers! I was already going to include you in the acknowledgements of the video presentation of the hack for your enthusiasm and numerous contributions in the form of ideas. Many of them have been incorporated at the end so. With your permission, I'd love to add those links to the covers.

You have my full permission to do so. And I'm honored to know you're crediting me in your upcoming media releases.

I hope your vacation went well and that you got to spend some quality time with your son. I wish you the best of luck!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:07:22 pm by Supergamerguy »

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2021, 11:45:17 pm »
There is an old saying from my country: "Es de bien nacido ser agradecido", being thankful is in good family, and it seemed to me the right thing to do.

I hope your vacation went well and that you got to spend some quality time with your son. I wish you the best of luck!

Well, he's actually the one on holiday XD. In 20 days we will coincide half of the time, that's why I try to squeeze the days I spend with him. And in August I asked for 15 days off. We will travel together 3 generations of my family, so it will be epic!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2021, 02:43:42 am »
Grats on getting your hack on RHDN finally! I'm just glad that more people will now notice this hack now, but still unfortunate that you had to censor it to make it happen.

Do you have a place where you plan to host the uncensored version? Or is it already somewhere else? Is the uncensored version that was released shortly here the same as this one currently found here, but with only the mermaid changes and nothing else?