News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Poll

Should RHDN allow controversial elements in its hacks (total or partial nudity, bad taste humor, social and political satire, etc)?

Yes, of course! Censorship does not belong in the 21st century.
3 (16.7%)
Absolutely not. There are already pages that publish this kind of stuff.
4 (22.2%)
Yes, but only if it is done with respect and good taste.
2 (11.1%)
Always yes, but a rating system (like the ESRB) should be used to warn of inappropriate content.
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 20, 2020, 03:50:18 am

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 8  (Read 29308 times)

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
    • Crying Onion's Youtube Channel
Re: Super Mario Bros. 8
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2021, 05:29:19 pm »
Hey people! I bring good news and bad news. The bad news is that the suggestion period is closed. And why? Because the project (drum roll) is finally finished!

I still have to work on several extras that will accompany its release, but trust that by the end of this month or early July it will be ready for you to play it, and even after that I'd love to get some feedback from you (there's always time for some tweaking).

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2021, 06:34:14 pm »
i'm looking forward to playing mario, but please don't leave the title super mario bros. 8, it would be interesting something like "super mario and the magic hammer" or "the hammer of the super mario" ;D

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2021, 08:47:20 pm »
You are not alone XD. Many people think that "Super Mario Bros. 8" is not a catchy title, but as I explained at the very beginning of this post, there are two good reasons for that:

1) This Hack is a request from one of my subscribers from Argentina. The idea was to improve the Chinese bootleg "Super Bros. 8", one of the many pirate incarnations of the plumber, and one of the most fondly remembered, because the game it uses as a base (and from which they barely changed 1% of the resources) is excellent and takes inspiration directly from the Nintendo franchise (even in the soundtrack). So there's a nostalgia factor.

2) Changing the title would undermine the visibility of the Hack. In fact, thanks to having kept it many people have found the videos related to the project on Youtube. I would even dare to say that it has generated some expectation among several hundred users.

Something similar already happened with my Street Fighter IV Hack (I'm referring to the NES bootleg). I retitled the game as "Fighting Legend", because in its last known version any reference to the Capcom game was removed. As you can imagine nobody interested about playing the Hack could find it until I renamed it as "Street Fighter IV: Enhanced Edition".

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2021, 08:53:41 pm »
CryinOnion: about the street fighter change I understand, but in mario's case it wouldn't have this problem, we're bothered with this number 8, pirate games always have a high number so people think it's new and superior or high like , in the 90's it could be interesting but not today, but to solve this there could be 2 patches, one with the name mario bros 8 and the other with a better title and so each one who gets the patch of your preference, could you phase this? ;D

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2021, 01:19:41 pm »
CryinOnion: about the street fighter change I understand, but in mario's case it wouldn't have this problem, we're bothered with this number 8, pirate games always have a high number so people think it's new and superior or high like , in the 90's it could be interesting but not today, but to solve this there could be 2 patches, one with the name mario bros 8 and the other with a better title and so each one who gets the patch of your preference, could you phase this? ;D

This isn't a bad idea, actually. If you would be up to doing it, a standalone patch that changes the title screen would be great! Just a little patch you would apply after patching the main hack. That way people might be able to get the best of both worlds, if they so choose. But it's up to you (CryinOnion) in the end, just some food for thought.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2021, 12:28:55 pm »
Supergamerguy: it didn't need to have a patch just to fix the title, it could have 2 patches with the complete hack one of which would have a more attractive title

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2021, 07:22:23 pm »
Supergamerguy: it didn't need to have a patch just to fix the title, it could have 2 patches with the complete hack one of which would have a more attractive title

This is a big issue though. If he were to make two different patches with only the title screen changed between them, he would have to do extra work if he wanted to make any Tweaks. As far as I know, if he made a separate patch to change the title screen alone, he could still make edits to the main game without having to change the non-"Super Mario Bros. 8" title patch.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2021, 09:17:54 pm »
Supergamerguy: I don't understand how the hack works, I could be wrong but I imagine that after completing the patch with the original text and saving, I could just change the title and save with the different name to differentiate the patch

BSNES

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2021, 02:14:17 pm »
Would require some more change but how about Super Wario Bros.

There is a hack of Don Doko Don out there called "Wario Bros"
Don Doko Don = Mario Bros = Wario Bros.
Don Doko Don 2 = Super Mario Bros = Super Wario Bros.

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2021, 07:40:30 pm »
There is a hack of Don Doko Don out there called "Wario Bros"
Don Doko Don = Mario Bros = Wario Bros.
Don Doko Don 2 = Super Mario Bros = Super Wario Bros.

I have those on me, if I pass 'em to you in private would to upload 'em to the site? I'd do it but I'm doing webinars for work at the moment. :D  :cookie:

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2021, 09:09:29 pm »
Wow, hi everyone. Glad to see that there has been movement these days that I have not visited the forum.

You are really pushing hard on the idea of creating a version with an alternative title. And (unfortunately) for me, I like to please people, so I will finally do some extra job to create an alternate title version. In fact, I've been working these couple of days on an alternative version called "Super Buni Edition". This version is a small tribute to the guy who suggested me to create the hack, which includes a new title screen and a little tweak according to his memories of this game:

Before I get to it, suggestions for the alternate title and its visual style? I had thought of something like "Wrecking Bros." or "Wrecking Mario", and mimic the style of the title screens of that saga, but they are quite lame, so I had thought of letters made with tables, as made by a carpenter, and replace the number 8 with a hammer.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2021, 06:27:18 am »
CryinOnion: "Super Buni Edition" I still prefer super mario bros 8, but as we commented back there would be good for a more original title because mario has a hammer that actually looks like a sledgehammer from colorado chapolin ;D

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2021, 09:11:21 am »
Wow, hi everyone. Glad to see that there has been movement these days that I have not visited the forum.

You are really pushing hard on the idea of creating a version with an alternative title. And (unfortunately) for me, I like to please people, so I will finally do some extra job to create an alternate title version. In fact, I've been working these couple of days on an alternative version called "Super Buni Edition". This version is a small tribute to the guy who suggested me to create the hack, which includes a new title screen and a little tweak according to his memories of this game:

Before I get to it, suggestions for the alternate title and its visual style? I had thought of something like "Wrecking Bros." or "Wrecking Mario", and mimic the style of the title screens of that saga, but they are quite lame, so I had thought of letters made with tables, as made by a carpenter, and replace the number 8 with a hammer.

"Super Mario: Hammer Time" popped into my head when I read this. But yeah, replacing the 8 with a hammer sounds like a great idea. And the wooden table font style could also turn out really cool!

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2021, 05:41:09 pm »
Crying Onion: do you want to replace the number 8 with a sprite of a hammer or the writing hammer? Super mario Bros Hammer is much better than number 8, it would be very interesting if at the beginning mario didn't have the hammer, upon defeating the first boss mario would take the hammer, the title would be "Super Mario Bros and the Hammer" or something similar ;D

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2021, 12:49:22 am »
I'm still shocked that so many people put emphasis on the same stuff XD.

For now I have here a fake title screen for testing purposes only. Thougs?

P.S. This is my weekend off, so if anyone has pure gold ideas for the name or the the title screen design, these three days are the best time to take them out of the hat. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the weekend :beer:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2021, 08:19:57 am »
Crying Onion: best title for the game is this "Mário Bros' hammer" and you don't need to use this kind of letters looking like sticks :thumbsup:

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2021, 09:16:38 am »
I'm still shocked that so many people put emphasis on the same stuff XD.

For now I have here a fake title screen for testing purposes only. Thougs?

P.S. This is my weekend off, so if anyone has pure gold ideas for the name or the the title screen design, these three days are the best time to take them out of the hat. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the weekend :beer:

"Wrecking Crew '92" rolls off the tongue really well in my opinion. I'll see if I can brainstorm any other title ideas by Sunday, but I think whatever title screen you end up creating should NOT contain the world "Bros.", since I dont think you added Luigi in the game. I would greatly prefer if you went with "Mario" in the title instead of "Bros.", depending on what your final decision is.

I still love the wooden font and the hammer graphic personally, it shows a lot of charm. I also want to thank you for listening to others and being willing to deliver a product different than your original vision. I hope you have a productive and relaxing weekend! :thumbsup:

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2021, 11:06:11 am »
Any result will be amazing! My suggestion taking both the original game would be Super Mario Infinity, in this I would pay tribute to 8->∞
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2021, 03:55:10 pm »
"Super Mario Hammer" would be simple and objective ;D

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2021, 01:54:32 am »
How about Super Wrecking Crew or Wrecking Crew Adventure?