News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Should RHDN allow controversial elements in its hacks (total or partial nudity, bad taste humor, social and political satire, etc)?

Yes, of course! Censorship does not belong in the 21st century.
3 (16.7%)
Absolutely not. There are already pages that publish this kind of stuff.
4 (22.2%)
Yes, but only if it is done with respect and good taste.
2 (11.1%)
Always yes, but a rating system (like the ESRB) should be used to warn of inappropriate content.
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 20, 2020, 03:50:18 am

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 8  (Read 24595 times)

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
Re: Super Mario Bros. 8
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 07:37:58 pm »
Yo, people! Long time no see ;D

First of all, I want to apologize to those who were patiently waiting for this hack. The project was progressing regularly, until for personal reasons I didn't feel mentally able to continue...until now.

The project continues where I left off: World 3. Here I have replaced the strange one-eyed ogres from Don Doko Don 2 with an adapted version of the classic Sledge Bro from SMB3, although I doubt between orange or green. What do you prefer?

Green easily. And I'm glad to hear you're back on your feet!
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
    • Crying Onion's Youtube Channel
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2021, 05:09:25 pm »
And I'm glad to be back! I didn't remember how much fun this is.

Green easily.

Interestingly, I took a poll on Twitter and Orange is winning. There are still two hours left until it closes, so you know.... ::)

Now I have another problem: The Hammer Bros. are characters that will appear a lot in this hack, mainly cause they carry weapons, like many enemies in Don Doko Don 2. After finishing the work of implementing them in the game replacing the paratrooper pigs I realized it, so I made a new set of sprites using the classic Koopa. The point is that now I like both designs, and I want to make the project a more participatory process, with suggestions from users.

Which one do you like better?

You can see a comparison here https://youtu.be/S0BTNXQphXQ and respond in this post, or on Twitter https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1353457921233833984?s=20, as you prefer.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2021, 05:59:05 pm »
And I'm glad to be back! I didn't remember how much fun this is.

Interestingly, I took a poll on Twitter and Orange is winning. There are still two hours left until it closes, so you know.... ::)

Now I have another problem: The Hammer Bros. are characters that will appear a lot in this hack, mainly cause they carry weapons, like many enemies in Don Doko Don 2. After finishing the work of implementing them in the game replacing the paratrooper pigs I realized it, so I made a new set of sprites using the classic Koopa. The point is that now I like both designs, and I want to make the project a more participatory process, with suggestions from users.

Which one do you like better?

You can see a comparison here https://youtu.be/S0BTNXQphXQ and respond in this post, or on Twitter https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1353457921233833984?s=20, as you prefer.

Dang it, the superior green is under attack! :D

But in all seriousness, I love both the Hammer Bros and the Koopas just like you do! I think they're both well designed and fit the area and aesthetic well. However, I would give the slight nod to the Koopa in this instance, both because it matches the Super-Koopas flying and creating clouds, and also because you might be able to save the Hammer Bros. for a later enemy that uses projectiles, as the para-pigs do not in this instance. Keep up the amazing work though, it looks better and better every time more is revealed! :beer:
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2021, 10:48:18 pm »
Hey people, how are you doing these days? :D For me they have been quite productive. Here's a preview of World 3 so you can see that the project is still alive and moving at a good rhythm:

https://youtu.be/6rL8PvdtBro

And of course, while the project is still open, suggestions are welcome (I recently added a new boss for World 1 that I think you will love it! :crazy:).

PS I cannot pass up the opportunity to thank sics for his teachings. Now that I can reassign palettes in the scenarios, I think I will be able to take the project to a new level!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2021, 09:11:55 am »
Hey people, how are you doing these days? :D For me they have been quite productive. Here's a preview of World 3 so you can see that the project is still alive and moving at a good rhythm:

https://youtu.be/6rL8PvdtBro

And of course, while the project is still open, suggestions are welcome (I recently added a new boss for World 1 that I think you will love it! :crazy:).

PS I cannot pass up the opportunity to thank sics for his teachings. Now that I can reassign palettes in the scenarios, I think I will be able to take the project to a new level!

I love that you went with the Para-Koopas in the video! Using Sledge Bros, Snifits, and Robo-Hammer-Bros were also all very creative and well-implemented ideas. Keep up the good work as always! Looking forward to seeing what new boss you have for level 1. :thumbsup:

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2021, 03:00:36 pm »
I love that you went with the Para-Koopas in the video! Using Sledge Bros, Snifits, and Robo-Hammer-Bros were also all very creative and well-implemented ideas.

Actually, they are not Robo-Hammer Bros, they are "SWAT" Hammer Bros Hahahaha.

I know, it's hard to see. The funny thing is that this was already happening with the pigs. It's hard to see if they are robots, knights, etc. The only time you can appreciate the details in both is when they hit, and it's for a split second. Anyway, even I don't know what prompted me to reimagine them as SWATS. Maybe for using something different, and more contemporary.

Looking forward to seeing what new boss you have for level 1.

You won't have to wait long to see it my friend! ;)

https://youtu.be/iMbjXOTc3FY

And now, after a brief time of leisure, it's time to get back to work. Actually, at this point I think I could use some suggestions for World 4, especially for the final boss.

It looks creepy and out of place. One of my subscribers even mentioned that he had nightmares about it when he was a kid, seriously.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2021, 03:34:32 pm »

I thought it was an Office worker Koopa, Anyway I don't know what a "SWAT" is, maybe if you drew the bat slightly tilted up you could better define its design :thumbsup:
twitter | deviantart | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

Vallenatero2015

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2021, 04:01:29 pm »
I would like an idea of Super Mario Bros. 8 where not only the protagonist is replaced by Mario, but also the items and the enemies change, something that the Chinese pirates did not know how to take into account when they created Super Bros. 8.

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2021, 04:46:20 pm »
I thought it was an Office worker Koopa, Anyway I don't know what a "SWAT" is

Office Worker Koopa, you killing me XDDD

S.W.A.T. "Special Weapons And Tactics" yo know, police guys with special equipment like an anti-riot with the helmet, shield, and a non-lethal weapon like a baton.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2021, 05:16:19 pm »
Excuse that "SWAT" if I know him, I thought it was a baseball themed level :laugh:
twitter | deviantart | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:48 pm »

I know, it's hard to see. The funny thing is that this was already happening with the pigs. It's hard to see if they are robots, knights, etc. The only time you can appreciate the details in both is when they hit, and it's for a split second. Anyway, even I don't know what prompted me to reimagine them as SWATS. Maybe for using something different, and more contemporary.

You won't have to wait long to see it my friend! ;)

https://youtu.be/iMbjXOTc3FY

And now, after a brief time of leisure, it's time to get back to work. Actually, at this point I think I could use some suggestions for World 4, especially for the final boss.

It looks creepy and out of place. One of my subscribers even mentioned that he had nightmares about it when he was a kid, seriously.

I should have recognized SWAT uniforms as soon as I saw them, with the batons and shields, they look amazing even if I didnt get it at first. And so does that new Level 1 boss! Absolutely fantastic creativity and implementation, very impressive. :beer:

As for the world 4 final boss tho, even when I was submitting suggestions for worlds a few months ago, I can remember not really knowing what to do with it; it is very creepy. Maybe use the Koopaling that perches atop the bouncy ball, Lemmy if I'm remembering right?

Quote (from a post I made on this thread a while back): "Ok, this boss is HARD to think of anything to replace it. It's super creepy and IMO, doesnt fit with the Mario changes in aesthetic. However, the only thing I could think of is maybe Bowser Jr. In a Clown Car or one of the Koopalings hopping on the ball."
- well you've already used bowserJr, so..... :D

February 06, 2021, 08:58:26 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
OOOOOH I JUST HAD THE BEST IDEA FOR THAT CREEPY BOSS: use the Dino Piranha from Super Mario Galaxy, it has a ball on the end if its tail that could serve as the bouncy ball, and the boss is big enough to replace the large clown that's currently there.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:58:26 pm by Supergamerguy »

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2021, 09:25:08 pm »

I have already commented individually, but reinforcing it, this project is beautiful, it would pass smoothly through an original Mario game.
Here are my suggestions for the boss:

Motley

Antasma

Another option is to replace the heart with a character controlling its giant robo version.

Joker Guy

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 09:33:41 pm by Xander max »
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2021, 03:02:09 pm »
Greetings from Barcelona!

I love to see the amount of projects that at some point this year we will be able to enjoy ;D. This hack will be (for the moment) my small contribution, and I wanted to share with you the latest progress.

The feedback from the community has been a great help to me :thumbsup:. It seems like a small thing, but in a level with lack of details, changes like the moon or the tombs give it a more familiar feel.

Another annoying aspect of World 4 is that there aren't many classic Mario characters that fit well in it. Also of course, not just anyone will work, because they have to fit well with the shape and patterns of the existing enemies. For now I've managed to replace the weird mummy-mushroom guys with Drybones, and the regular bats with Swoopers (again, thanks for your suggestions).

I've also replaced the rolling pumpkins with Drybones skulls, and the Frankenstein monsters with Mummy-Toads. I'm still not 100% convinced of the result with the Mummy-Toad, although it looks (a little bit) better in motion.

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1363211926877184007?s=20

I'm also not sure what color palette to use with it. You can send me your suggestions as always here or through the poll I posted on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1363200634581880834?s=20

And finally I have replaced the (as my buddy Supergamerguy called them) skull-ghosts with Kurokyura (Draculas from SML2).

After tweaking Mummy-Toad and replacing Mario with something Wario-like when he drinks the potion, I'll be ready to focus on the second section of the level (which is already quite advanced) and of course, the damn boss.

Although I appreciate your suggestions, I'm still not sure which character I'll use, although I have an idea (at the moment just that, the idea) that I'd like to tell you about. The main problem is its particular shape, with the legs forming a compass. Also he must have some kind of core replacing the beating heart that he covers with his legs and is his weak point.  What I have in mind is to create some kind of vehicle manned by one of the Koopalings (my first choice is Wendy O. Koopa). It's hard to explain, but as soon as I have a sketch, if I go for this option, I will show it to you. In the meantime I'm still all ears.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2021, 04:03:40 pm »

If Mushroom Kingdom has to call in their SWAT Unit just to remotely handle Mario then I'm all for this!  :D
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2021, 05:16:51 pm »
I think mummy toad looks great! And I also prefer the white color scheme over the yellow one (even though logically, bandages decay, so the yellow one would make more sense), as the white color scheme is sharp against the black background and matches the other white enemies.

I also believe the Koopaling machine you're thinking about is a really inventive idea that I would love to see in action. Keep up the good work!

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2021, 07:53:47 am »
Hi people!

Here's a little preview of World 4 https://youtu.be/HMsn0IjGDP4

Some changes still don't convince me, so I'm still open to suggestions. What I do hope you like is the new Boss. Have a nice weekend!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2021, 08:23:09 pm »
Hi people!

Here's a little preview of World 4 https://youtu.be/HMsn0IjGDP4

Some changes still don't convince me, so I'm still open to suggestions. What I do hope you like is the new Boss. Have a nice weekend!

Just........wow. This is absolutely stunning. The enemy changes, the Wario-like invincibility powerup, the FANTASTICALLY made boss, ......everything. I think it looks amazing, and the only thing I could offer up as advice would to maybe find a replacement for the Armored Knights in the castle area, but everything else is perfect as is to me. :laugh:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:42 am »
congratulations, this game is getting amazing, can you tell me about the gameplay is like SMB3 or SMW snes? what will be the game of the game in the final version?

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2021, 02:26:20 pm »
In fact, the gameplay is somewhat familiar but completely different.

This game is basically a "as it should have been" of a Chinese Super Mario bootleg, which was based on Taito's Don Doko Don 2. In this game the main character doesn't defeat enemies by jumping on them: He uses the hammer to stun them, and then you can pick them up and use them as ammo. You can see for yourself and get an idea of how the project is evolving here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsn0IjGDP4&list=PLj0Jfry_akMcwDDd86pZ9t8zkDVb7B_mr

Taito never had a problem in recognizing that he was inspired by the plumber's game to create Don Doko Don 2, so although the gameplay is different, there are many familiar vibes in the graphics, music, and gameplay, which is why this particular booleg is fondly remembered (the original game was good, and the Chinese merely modified the title screen and main sprite, so for kids of the time who often didn't know the difference between an original and pirated cartridge, this was just another great Mario adventure).

And although I really just wanted to improve it a bit, changing the essentials and adjusting it to the time when this bootleg appeared, now even Bowsy (who didn't make his first appearance until Super Mario Sunshine!) appears as World Boss 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMbjXOTc3FY&list=PLj0Jfry_akMcwDDd86pZ9t8zkDVb7B_mr&index=5

Still, I hope it makes a lot of "Grown Up kids" happy. Thanks for your support, and stay tuned for more updates!

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2021, 12:39:51 am »
Yo, people! Greetings from Barcelona,

After a long sleep, the project is back on track. Although I have a small stylistic doubt:

Magi-Koopas usually wear blue magician's robes, I know. But in this case, there's a lot of blue here: In the background, on some of the enemies, etc.

So what do you guys think, blue Magi-Koopa or fuchsia Magi-Koopa?