News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Should RHDN allow controversial elements in its hacks (total or partial nudity, bad taste humor, social and political satire, etc)?

Yes, of course! Censorship does not belong in the 21st century.
3 (16.7%)
Absolutely not. There are already pages that publish this kind of stuff.
4 (22.2%)
Yes, but only if it is done with respect and good taste.
2 (11.1%)
Always yes, but a rating system (like the ESRB) should be used to warn of inappropriate content.
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 20, 2020, 03:50:18 am

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 8  (Read 17393 times)

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 8
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2021, 02:58:15 am »
I'd say change the brick colors instead of the magikoopa.

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2021, 07:11:05 am »
I'd say change the brick colors instead of the magikoopa.

That's actually a good idea.

If possible, you should change the background bricks to a really dark red or brown color. But if that's not possible (or if it messes up other items with the same palette), I'd say the blue magikoopa is still best. You can still see him with the stars on his robe and his pale face, so he's relatively distinguishable.

The red Magikoopa kinda gives it a little bit of a bootleg feel again.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2021, 07:56:46 am »
Mages usually wear blue, so... blue.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2021, 08:27:18 am »
CryinOnion: with the blue color I liked it better, you can see it well due to the blue color of it seems to be lighter than him

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
    • Crying Onion's Youtube Channel
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2021, 04:33:00 pm »
Thank you for your suggestions! ;D At this point (after some minor tweaks) I can start working on World 5. And this is the first progress I have made:

https://youtu.be/tfc1ssvdujc

I think the changes integrate well with the original graphics and fulfill what someone who had played Chinese Bootleg when they were little would have expected (I've also added a little joke, just for fun >:D).

And now, a few questions:

This cute UFO is begging to be changed. Someone on my Youtube channel has suggested Lakitu (which could cause problems, because if I remember correctly it measures 24x16 or 32x16 with the cloud).

About the pig, it is clear to me that the most obvious choice is a Boomerang Bro. And the wooden soldier I will try to change it for the tin soldier from SML2.

And this tiny robot... oh, how I hate it XD. Seriously, it looks really uninspired. It shares palette with the UFO and has an annoying attack routine: When you hit it it gets damaged, but it keeps moving, which causes if you're too close it causes damage to you.

And of course the boss. Apparently the development team had a certain fixation with giving the Final Bosses a somewhat creepy and menacing look, with spikes and icy eyes.

Plan A is to alter the design to make it more "friendly", Mario style. It's a good solution, because in the end it's a game that arouses nostalgia, and changing it excessively can be detrimental... unless you come up with something that fits like a glove instead.

And that's all for now. Nothing is closed yet, so, let the Brainstorming begin! And thanks in advance for your help.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2021, 05:03:34 pm »
Thank you for your suggestions! ;D At this point (after some minor tweaks) I can start working on World 5. And this is the first progress I have made:

https://youtu.be/tfc1ssvdujc

I think the changes integrate well with the original graphics and fulfill what someone who had played Chinese Bootleg when they were little would have expected (I've also added a little joke, just for fun >:D).

And now, a few questions:

This cute UFO is begging to be changed. Someone on my Youtube channel has suggested Lakitu (which could cause problems, because if I remember correctly it measures 24x16 or 32x16 with the cloud).

About the pig, it is clear to me that the most obvious choice is a Boomerang Bro. And the wooden soldier I will try to change it for the tin soldier from SML2.

And this tiny robot... oh, how I hate it XD. Seriously, it looks really uninspired. It shares palette with the UFO and has an annoying attack routine: When you hit it it gets damaged, but it keeps moving, which causes if you're too close it causes damage to you.

And of course the boss. Apparently the development team had a certain fixation with giving the Final Bosses a somewhat creepy and menacing look, with spikes and icy eyes.

Plan A is to alter the design to make it more "friendly", Mario style. It's a good solution, because in the end it's a game that arouses nostalgia, and changing it excessively can be detrimental... unless you come up with something that fits like a glove instead.

And that's all for now. Nothing is closed yet, so, let the Brainstorming begin! And thanks in advance for your help.

Your work so far looks amazing! I agree with the Lakitu change, but I would also suggest you consider changing it to Kirby's UFO powerup from Kirby's Adventure. But if you do decide to go with the Lakitu change, that new palette would make the tiny robot enemy a good candidate for a Koopa Troopa makeover, just with the way he walks.

As for the final boss, it's a giant bird, and the first Mario giant bird enemy that comes to mind is the one from Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (and maybe Mario Odyssey too?). I feel like that would be a good replacement.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2021, 11:26:07 pm »
Thanks as always for your suggestions. In the end I have opted for Kirby-UFO (Lakitu on his cloud is too tall):

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1399164221712179201?s=20

About the little wooden soldier, I intended to replace him with the tin soldier in SML2, but it didn't match well at all. That's why I "fused" both designs, using the original animation and redrawing it in the style of the Nintendo sprite. The result fits quite well, and I even dared to combine two palettes:

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1399166661106733057?s=20

In conclusion, it has been a very productive weekend. Now my neurons are starting to get tired and I doubt every decision. Half of the robot's sprite is mirrored, forcing me to use a character seen from the front. I've used a Goomba for now, but it feels a bit generic. And about the boomerang-throwing pig, more of the same:
https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1399199196675194882?s=20

On the one hand, a Boomerang Bro would fit perfectly. On the other, I'm starting to think I'm changing things by inertia and maybe I should preserve the pig. So the question is: Pig IN or Pig OUT? What do you think?

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2021, 06:24:56 am »
the enemies that are not from the mario world will be replaced?

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2021, 07:31:22 am »
Thanks as always for your suggestions. In the end I have opted for Kirby-UFO (Lakitu on his cloud is too tall):

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1399164221712179201?s=20

About the little wooden soldier, I intended to replace him with the tin soldier in SML2, but it didn't match well at all. That's why I "fused" both designs, using the original animation and redrawing it in the style of the Nintendo sprite. The result fits quite well, and I even dared to combine two palettes:

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1399166661106733057?s=20

In conclusion, it has been a very productive weekend. Now my neurons are starting to get tired and I doubt every decision. Half of the robot's sprite is mirrored, forcing me to use a character seen from the front. I've used a Goomba for now, but it feels a bit generic. And about the boomerang-throwing pig, more of the same:
https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1399199196675194882?s=20

On the one hand, a Boomerang Bro would fit perfectly. On the other, I'm starting to think I'm changing things by inertia and maybe I should preserve the pig. So the question is: Pig IN or Pig OUT? What do you think?

PIG OUT! Boomerang Bro looks great! As do the other changes you've shared.

Just one little nitpick though: I think Kirby would benefit from being a little rounder if possible, and maybe his UFO should encroach a little less on his head so the proportions look more even. But if that's not possible due to sprite size limitations, it's not a big deal in the end.

As always, keep up the good work!

May 31, 2021, 07:37:29 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
EDIT: Just saw your A and B versions of the Kirby UFO sprite on your Twitter post. Kirby's head looks just round enough, and I think that if you removed (a little bit of)/lowered the UFO part of him so that his pink head is more obvious to the player, it would look perfect.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:37:29 am by Supergamerguy »

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2021, 04:37:06 pm »
the enemies that are not from the mario world will be replaced?

Not all of them. The original idea was to change only the enemies that had an obvious counterpart in the Mario world (the original game takes inspiration from it, so that's relatively easy) and the uninspired ones.

This, as usual, has changed a bit due to the suggestions and feedback I' ve been receiving through my Youtube channel. In certain aspects, I'm afraid of disappointing the " grown up kids" who will see how some of their beloved memories have changed, but (obviously) I won't be able to make everyone happy, so I'm going ahead and if I consider it necessary I would make changes in a ver. 1.1

Just one little nitpick though: I think Kirby would benefit from being a little rounder if possible, and maybe his UFO should encroach a little less on his head so the proportions look more even. But if that's not possible due to sprite size limitations, it's not a big deal in the end.

As always, keep up the good work!

That's not a big problem in the design of Kirby's Adventure, because the perspective is lateral. In fact, I did some experiments, although I finally decided to fuse both designs because I thought the perspective gives it a nice touch.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2021, 05:30:06 pm »
it's getting really good, i hope the gameplay is good because the graphics are getting good, i imagine the gameplay will be the same as the original game, but i have never played it and don't even want to play it to have an experience of a new mario game for us and no more a hack, waiting anxiously, when i have a beta i will want to try ;D

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2021, 02:52:16 pm »
it's getting really good, i hope the gameplay is good because the graphics are getting good, i imagine the gameplay will be the same as the original game, but i have never played it and don't even want to play it to have an experience of a new mario game for us and no more a hack, waiting anxiously, when i have a beta i will want to try ;D

Thanks! The truth is that everything in the original game is really good: Graphics, music and gameplay. That's the main reason why the Chinese bootleg is fondly remembered by many.And the project is almost finished, so in a few weeks you will have a ver. 1.0

At this point (the last Boss before the final fight), the only thing that slows me down is some doubts in the design. I wanted to keep elements of the original game, so I tried to make this guy a little more "friendly" as you can see in the image, but I'm not convinced, and there aren't many enemies from the Super Mario universe that fit either.

Any bright ideas?

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2021, 05:08:40 pm »
Hi Friend! I believe that Mechakoopa fits well with this enemy!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 05:53:19 pm by Xander max »
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2021, 07:46:12 pm »
Thanks! The truth is that everything in the original game is really good: Graphics, music and gameplay. That's the main reason why the Chinese bootleg is fondly remembered by many.And the project is almost finished, so in a few weeks you will have a ver. 1.0

At this point (the last Boss before the final fight), the only thing that slows me down is some doubts in the design. I wanted to keep elements of the original game, so I tried to make this guy a little more "friendly" as you can see in the image, but I'm not convinced, and there aren't many enemies from the Super Mario universe that fit either.

Any bright ideas?

I think Cookatiel would work *perfectly* : https://www.mariowiki.com/Cookatiel

(I'm also loving the MechaGoomba sprite :))
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:52:46 pm by Supergamerguy »

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2021, 10:59:10 am »
Hello CryinOnion, great work and dedication with a great result! :thumbsup: Congratulations!
If the inclusion of Mechakoopa I think totally right,this game I never played, so for me it will be like playing a title of yours. :beer:

Pineapplefish

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2021, 01:03:35 am »
This should be renamed to a entry in the Wrecking Crew series. Wrecking Crew and Wrecking Crew '98 exist, so maybe this could be Wrecking Crew 2020 or Wrecking Crew '20?
I agree that a callback to Wrecking Crew could be neat. SMB + WC = Super Mario Brothers Wreckers? Super Mario WreckQuest?

Very cool hack btw. Crying Onion, you always produce top notch work. Much respect.

Last edit: Super Mario Special 2: Wrecking Crew Adventure? Bit of a mouthful, but I like it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:35:22 am by Pineapplefish »

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2021, 06:16:58 am »
Mechakoopa would be cool there.

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2021, 12:53:08 am »
Yo people, how are you?

Hi Friend! I believe that Mechakoopa fits well with this enemy!

Hello CryinOnion, great work and dedication with a great result! :thumbsup: Congratulations!
If the inclusion of Mechakoopa I think totally right,this game I never played, so for me it will be like playing a title of yours.

Mechakoopa would be cool there.

Totally agreed, Mechakoopa Rocks 8)... but unfortunately, this sprite is mirrored so I can only use front-viewed characters. For that reason I decided to use something similar (in this case a Mecha-Goomba).

I think Cookatiel would work *perfectly* : https://www.mariowiki.com/Cookatiel

This would have been a great choice as well, because it fit the context very well... although I saw the suggestion a bit late... :-[

In the end, I opted for a simple decision and gave the boss design a more childlike and harmless look that would fit in well with the aesthetics of the Mario series. Yo can see a Gameplay of the level (and the Boss) here: https://youtu.be/6OE3MZOfCjo

And here a little preview of the final battle https://youtu.be/nwg8bHV3Fzk The only thing I don't like are the floating fans. Actually they are robot legs, and that's why the speed with which the fans move is slow and I don't know if it works really well. What do you think?

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2021, 07:15:44 am »
Yo people, how are you?

Totally agreed, Mechakoopa Rocks 8)... but unfortunately, this sprite is mirrored so I can only use front-viewed characters. For that reason I decided to use something similar (in this case a Mecha-Goomba).

This would have been a great choice as well, because it fit the context very well... although I saw the suggestion a bit late... :-[

In the end, I opted for a simple decision and gave the boss design a more childlike and harmless look that would fit in well with the aesthetics of the Mario series. Yo can see a Gameplay of the level (and the Boss) here: https://youtu.be/6OE3MZOfCjo

And here a little preview of the final battle https://youtu.be/nwg8bHV3Fzk The only thing I don't like are the floating fans. Actually they are robot legs, and that's why the speed with which the fans move is slow and I don't know if it works really well. What do you think?

The fans look just fine to me. I'd say you have an incredible final battle there.  :thumbsup:

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2021, 08:32:41 pm »
Cryonion, my suggestion was to use Mechakoopa on Boss!
Check out dozens of my projects on youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGHNhopquBMifjhdNSWQTA/videos