News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X custom stages  (Read 9135 times)

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X custom stages
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 09:06:09 am »
I think I might have been mistaken about the event for the bats because
I didn't see one when I did a play through.

I pm'd you some of my mmx patches.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 09:56:45 am »
Finally managed to figure out the stage teleport event used in the Armored Armadillo stage when you're falling through the pit.

The point of this event is to extend the stage horizontally since stages have a max value of $1FFF.
Now, if you seamlessly teleport megaman somewhere behind on the horizontal axis but somewhere else on the vertical axis, you can artificially extend the stage horizontally.
Essentially, you can go on the right direction for longer.

Heres an image of the idea:
You port from the green to the red squares.

Here's it in action. If you don't notice anything special it means its working as intended  :laugh:
https://streamable.com/1q0sqo

September 23, 2020, 04:51:08 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's my first enemy/unit made from scratch annnd it's an elevator. It works similarly to the one in the Boomer Kuwanger stage but this one can hold enemy units as well.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:51:08 pm by bosn »

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 11:34:43 am »
Here's another new enemy even though its the same sprite as the Ladder Yadder with a new palette but  completely new behavior.
It shoots a projectile if the player gets close and climbs tree down if the player gets even closer.

I really liked these enemies on the opening stage but was disappointing that they're not elsewhere in the game so now theyre in the Sting Chameleon stage aswell

As a final update here's a bootless dash in preparation to implement the Air Dash feature

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 07:20:48 pm »
I did make a patch for bootless dash and air dash for X in X1 but you're likely going to implement that better than I could lol. I'm kind of excited to see where this goes. It's rare to see ANYONE working on these games anymore.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 05:13:25 am »
Actually, to make things a bit different from the sequels, how about having the leg upgrade be a simple double jump? For extra flare, you could try adding a little burst of energy below his feet when he jumps again in mid air. Just a thought.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2020, 05:40:30 am »
@justin3009
I actually implemented it by checking your code for the air dash but wasn't able to make the movement as smooth so I put that on a standby. I'll probably have to redo the whole thing.

@Vanya
That's an interesting idea, in fact you could even have both. That could be cool.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 06:19:44 am »
There are hacks and documentation for MMX, don't know if you've seen them:
http://www.romhacking.net/games/931/

I like innate dash and upgrade air dash. A double jump upgrade as Vanya mentions would very nice.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 12:49:47 pm »
Since I'm implementing the Air Dash, I figured I should place the Boot Capsule elsewhere so why not put it behind a mini boss.
As I can't sprite, the obvious solution is to reuse enemies from later games and so here's Snow Rider from MMX3.
I actually enjoy the process of adding new enemies a whole lot more than editing stages tbh ;D

@MysticLord
I check that page from time to time to see if anything new pops up

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 07:20:46 pm »
I'm surprised you're able to do this so quickly. I never got around to modifying enemy graphics but editing even the PC graphical data was beyond annoying to deal with in X2 and X3. Is the enemy data easier to handle overall?

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 12:20:28 pm »
Very excited to see stage modification with custom enemies, I'm very looking forward to play whatever comes up from this!

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 05:01:24 pm »
I think I might have been mistaken about the event for the bats because
I didn't see one when I did a play through.

I pm'd you some of my mmx patches.

slidelljohn, does this have to do with the metroid style MMX you had mentioned on here awhile back?  If so, any chance I could have a look as well?

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2020, 02:31:10 pm »
I'm surprised you're able to do this so quickly. I never got around to modifying enemy graphics but editing even the PC graphical data was beyond annoying to deal with in X2 and X3. Is the enemy data easier to handle overall?

I have a partial disassembly of MMX1 so it's only a matter of adding a few pointers to pointer tables and the like, the hard part is figuring how it works but once you do it's not particularly difficult.

Very excited to see stage modification with custom enemies, I'm very looking forward to play whatever comes up from this!

Just don't get your expectations too high, I'm happy just getting basic stuff to work. This is more of a learning experience for me more than anything else.

Anyway, here's Snow Rider's entrance

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2020, 08:00:06 pm »
Very cool. Are you going for the traditional straight-forward approach, or more of a Metroidvania? What is the maximum possible stage size, or other limits?

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2020, 05:08:22 pm »
Metroidvania as in one big map sort of like MMZ1 and ZX? That sounds like a huge effort and Im unsure it's worth it although it could be an interesting challenge. The select stage screen is unchanged as I'm only changing the stages individually so I guess its the straight-forward approach.
Max stage size is 32x32(1024) screens but you can only have 83 unique screens so you would have to dynamically load stages as you went along but honestly for such a thing the structure of the game would have to be completely revamped.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2020, 09:54:19 pm »
I mean each stage having multiple possible paths, with goodies hidden along each.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2020, 07:51:23 am »
Here's the Sting Chameleon stage. I was more ambitious with this one compared to the Chill Penguin stage, the stage layout is significantly different.

The stage itself is longer, the cave section has two branching paths and at the end of the swamp section there's a mini elevator gauntlet.
Again, there's new enemies that weren't on the stage originally, like the crushers and the big fish aswell as a completely new enemy the tree climbers.(see screenshots)

Other changes:
-New Game starts with Dash
-Implemented Air Dash, given by the Boot capsule
-Changed location of the Boot capsule within the  Chill Peguin stage.
-New Chill Penguin Miniboss the Snow Rider

Download link:
https://anonfiles.com/F1W6K0g5pf/mmx_02_rar

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2020, 10:52:46 am »
The somewhat alternate route on Sting Chameleon was pretty cool tbh but my god those pit falls. The first one in Chameleon got me cause it blended into the background a lot with my colorblindness but once you see it once you're good lol.

This is extremely impressive honestly. I'm excited to see where you take this one. We haven't had anyone level edit X1 to this extreme before and even modify enemy locations and such. (Mainly because most people don't know how to modify the VRAM setup and what not).

Great on ya for this!

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2020, 11:29:06 am »
Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it. It has been great fun figuring how things work and making these. I'm considering hitting the Flame Mammoth stage next as I think I can it pretty interesting

Also, I forgot to mention but if you played a earlier version you should delete your save file(just in case) as I had to remap the BWRAM to accommodate bigger stages.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 10:46:05 pm »
I only played the Air Dash mod, which is really nice but playing it on a PSP I can't get past the platforms and enemies in the first Sigma's Fortress stage.

I tried the Hard Type by Hart-Hunt, but I couldn't get past the first stage.
http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/forum/11-mega-man-x-hard-type-series/

I much prefer metroidvanias to platformers because I suck at platformers, specifically death-falls.

Hart-Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 03:56:21 pm »
Hey there! I have yet to play this, but it looks cool! I hope you continue the project, since MMX never gets enough love.

I've been working on documenting the bosses' AI, but I'm not a programmer and I basically burned out after 4 bosses or so. If you care to make something out of my notes, then go nuts with it. The notes were for a new, more mature romhack I was planning but the project died along the way. Here's a drive link.

NOTE: Most files were made for Sublime Text 3, the notepad-type of app I used for documenting.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oeMNH2-uvaZUGKEqZ-lAcHjW5JFPvpuS?usp=sharing

Also, I trust that you have the latest MegaEd X editor? It fully supports basic event editing, and also layout editing to make stages of any shape. It doesn't have any kind of tutorial unfortunately, and I haven't used it in ages.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Also, I've tried to download the patch to try it, it threw a "file doesn't exist" message :'(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:10:21 am by Hart-Hunt »