News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X custom stages  (Read 1773 times)

bosn

• View Profile
Mega Man X custom stages
« on: September 06, 2020, 04:43:07 pm »
So I decided to have a go at level editing for MMX using MegaED X editor aswell as some assembly editing and now I'm looking for some feedback.
Right now only the Chill Penguin stage is edited but don't expect anything too fancy, it's mainly the same stage but with an extended layout and different enemies.

Apply this patch to Mega Man X (Rev 1) (U)
https://anonfiles.com/p1m9A5U1o5/mmx11_ips

Some screens:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:35:25 am by bosn »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X custom stages
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 06:59:00 pm »
Do you have new ram mapping?

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:05:28 pm »
Yes, this is a SA1 hack aswell so a great deal of the RAM is remapped

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 07:15:31 pm »
I cant dash after leg upgrade.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:57:48 pm »
I forgot to mention I binded the Dash to the L button but you only have to change it once as the control scheme gets saved to the SRAM

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 08:17:37 pm »
Well, that explains it :o

Everyone has their own way of playing but I do not recommend
forcing the button layout like that. Most people are probably
going to have to change the button layout whenever they go
to play it.

I like your idea with the lives showing on screen. I was going
to edit it to where it gets activated by the select button but
the mapping for everything is changed so my docs wont work.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 08:38:27 pm by slidelljohn »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 12:17:59 am »
Well, that explains it :o

Everyone has their own way of playing but I do not recommend
forcing the button layout like that. Most people are probably
going to have to change the button layout whenever they go
to play it.

He said that the keys are saved to SRAM so you only have to change it once, so it's fine.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 01:19:32 am »
I’m well aware of what he said. It was just
my opinion on a 25+ year button layout. :)

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 02:22:08 pm »
I'll give this a shot sometime in the next week, but I really like the Air Dash hack and would kill for a double jump and a duck (drop down, not quack quack) maneuver.

LadyCannock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 05:36:12 pm »
I'll have to give this one a shot, too. Been playing the MMX collections on the switch lately and feels the game could use some much needed improvement. Also, not a fan of button remapping either. Was there a specific reason why you chose to map it on the L shoulder?

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 12:59:31 pm »
Got the idea from MMZ which uses the L button for dash and I feel it's a more practical button for it but like I said the control scheme gets saved whenever you change it.
In any case, the point of this topic was to get some feedback on the Chill Penguin stage itself. I know there's a few changes unrelated to it but that comes from the base romhack.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 06:05:25 pm »
I'll have to give this one a shot, too. Been playing the MMX collections on the switch lately and feels the game could use some much needed improvement. Also, not a fan of button remapping either. Was there a specific reason why you chose to map it on the L shoulder?
L dashing is so much better than using A to dash, because it frees your fingers up to dash, jump and shoot at the same time without having to rock your thumb awkwardly or do the "claw" with your thumb and index finger.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 08:31:32 pm »
L dashing is so much better than using A to dash, because it frees your fingers up to dash, jump and shoot at the same time without having to rock your thumb awkwardly or do the "claw" with your thumb and index finger.

TRUTH. I played the Zero games after the first 4 X games and felt a massive improvement in controls despite losing 2+ buttons.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 11:44:54 pm »
Have you ever tried using your left thumb for the d-pad and your right index, middle, and ring fingers to dash, jump, and shoot? I don’t use my right thumb at all to press any buttons and I destroy everything in my path with ease.  :laugh:

Even off the wall is very easy for me with that method. I play with the original button settings like that but everyone has their own way of playing.

@bosn
Here are a couple things for that level.

The vram and color palette is not correct in the beginning of the game for the flying bug and the snowball when going to the left.

Also towards the end of the level when the snowball hits the wall.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:26:51 am by slidelljohn »

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 08:28:27 pm »
Your link says your file download expires in a day.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 06:34:39 am »
@slidelljohn
Yea, I know what the problem is, I need to tune the VRAM events and probably edit the level for the first case.

@MysticLord
Didnt realize it was a temporary upload. Ill upload it elsewhere.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 08:22:07 am »
Awesome! Looking forward to the next update.

The only other thing that I seen that might be a issue is the 2 bats by the leg upgrade. They could hit you when you talk to dr light.

I know my feedback probably hasn’t been favorable. I’m no master wordsmith like FAST6191 :-[ but hopefully my not so favorable feedback with some of the things that I point out will benefit you into some more favorable feedback :)

It would be nice to see some before and after pictures of the levels when you make new ones if that is possible. I’m also interested in hearing your ideas and how much you have planned for mmx. Not sure if you have seen some of the things that I have worked on for mmx but they might interest you.

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 09:16:35 am »
Those two bats follow you further than I'd like them to, yeah. Seems to me, I either leave them as is or have to simply remove them, don't think putting them further to the left will change much.

Right now, I'm casually working on the Sting Chameleon stage. I definitely want to add a completely new enemy, preferably a miniboss as that would be fun challenge.

I appreciate your feedback, don't worry about it. I havent seen your MMX stuff, can you point me out to it?

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 03:01:55 pm »
I might be mistaken but I think there is a event that makes the bats fly away but I’m not sure if the editor supports it if there even is a event for it.

Completely new enemy sounds great! Do you have anything in mind? Do you do any sprite work? If you don’t have anything yet for a mini boss I might have something if there is a spriter willing to help. I have a mini boss that I never completed but he is a interesting one if he ever gets finished.

I’ll see about putting some of my mmx stuff together. If you haven’t seen it your in for a treat :happy:

bosn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 03:53:51 pm »
I think they just fly away when they're too far from wherever they spawn.
I don't have any concrete ideas just yet I just thought if I'm making something new it would be more interesting to make it a boss rather than something you kill with one shot