News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: TMNT: Return to New York (NES) Updated (v1.8)  (Read 15644 times)

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
Re: TMNT: Return to New York (NES) Updated (v1.71)
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2021, 10:39:47 am »
Any of them but the bottom lol.

Somewhat kidding... I agree with the others that the left does fit better consistency-wise.  However I do like the right one more generally speaking (it's slightly 'prettier'), but the lighting is more akin to something like Turtles in Time.

Thanks so much for all you've been doing for this hack... it's amazing. :beer:

Thanks for the support!  I put a new update out today, it has a few updates including the above april sprite.  I tried to do splinter as well, but there's no sprite of him that works well enough (the closest I found was TMNT tournament fighters NES), and the way the game organizes and stores his portrait is a pain in the butt compared to yoshi and april.

Also, please check out my aesthetic hack "TMNT Attack of the Grem" for a new spin on the game!

Flaviogames, sorry to say but implementing many of the things youre asking, while they would make the game better, would require a rewrite of the way the game handles sprites and is beyond my ability.

G30FF

• View Profile
Re: TMNT: Return to New York (NES) Updated (v1.8)
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2021, 11:36:57 am »
I gave Attack of the Grem a quick test, and I love that you pulled from the recent IDW comics for Lita and Jennika for it! I like the new Casey sprite too. A nice touch. At first I thought you had made a mistake, having Venus's name in the pause menu as MEI instead of VEN. But then I looked her up on TMNTPedia and learned her real name is Mei Pieh Chi. Shows how long it's been since I've seen The Next Mutation!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:31:39 pm by G30FF »

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2021, 03:39:11 pm »
Yeah, that was intentional but it doesn't mean it's necessarily the best option.  Originally i had it in there as VNUS, which phonetically works but looks off.  I also wrestled with APRL vs APR.  If people feel strongly one way or another I'm happy to change.

IMHO the IDW turtles are the best iteration yet, followed by the original TMNT movie.  If i ever do a total level hack for this game, it's gonna be based off last ronin, where each weapon has a lifebar and if it runs out you lose the weapon sort of deal.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2021, 04:31:57 pm »
Now that I know where it came from, I don't personally mind having her name as MEI. It just confused me until I figured that part out! I don't feel strongly enough about it to change.

I'm totally with you on the IDW series, it's fantastic. If you haven't seen it, I also recommend Rise of the TMNT. It's got a surprisingly deep story, along with great action scenes and animation.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2021, 06:52:39 pm »
guitarpalooz: I see, thanks for explaining about how complicated the improvements I mentioned would be. :beer:

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2021, 04:51:02 pm »
While playing some of the other TMNT NES games and their improvement hacks, I noticed the fonts for TMNT 2 and 3 are similar to each other and much different from TMNT 1.  Would anyone be interested in using the TMNT 3 font in this game?

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2021, 04:58:39 pm »
guitarpalooz: seria interessante alguem fazer isso no TMNT 1 ;D

Emsi-D

• Watching the morning sun rise above
    • View Profile
    • Mortal Kombat Trilogy XE
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2021, 05:05:45 pm »
guitarpalooz, I have a suggestion: a couple of years ago, romhacker Lomax made a small ROM hack of TMNT-1.
In that hack, he fixed the camera scrolling and increased the invulnerability time (after the character takes damage).
Could you add these fixes to your project?
Link to download this hack: https://www.sendspace.com/file/3v71cf

Would anyone be interested in using the TMNT 3 font in this game?
I think this font looks great.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2021, 07:15:58 pm »
guitarpalooz, I have a suggestion: a couple of years ago, romhacker Lomax made a small ROM hack of TMNT-1.
In that hack, he fixed the camera scrolling and increased the invulnerability time (after the character takes damage).

I second this! Adding these improvements would make it the ultimate way to play the game.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2021, 08:41:15 pm »
increasing vulnerability is great, I realized that there is this problem in the game after covering one damage can take another one afterwards and that makes the game bad :thumbsup:

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2021, 10:02:54 pm »
I have a suggestion: a couple of years ago, romhacker Lomax made a small ROM hack of TMNT-1.

Hey thanks for sending this my way!  I'm excited to try it, Im wondering how the scrolling affects enemy spawn?

It's funny you bring up the I frames, I was actually playing around with the enemy i frames after playing the TMNT2 revamped hack today.  Thankfully player and enemy invulnerability are stored separately, and last 24 frames (hex 18).  Reducing it to 0D (13 frames) has some interesting effects.  Every one of raph, leo, and mikes swings will hit an enemy, and don will 2 hit enemies if hes close enough, giving him a nice buff.  Boomerangs will also become super OP, which further buffs mike and don.  The downside is it makes it a little too easy to mow through enemies and slow bosses, which might require an enemy HP rebalance (or eventually an AI change to make them more interesting fights).

Dantk

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2021, 03:34:24 am »
I think this font looks great.

What exactly does the fixed camera scrolling do?

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2021, 08:57:39 am »
Seems like it reduces the amount your character goes off center before the screen scrolls.  "Tighter scrolling" would probably be a better term than "fixed."

I cant yet decide how I feel about it, as tighter scrolling will also mean more enemy respawns, especially if you get knocked back.  By way of playtesting I've now played this game so much that it's hard to tell how this might affect your everyday user.  It might be time to include some optional patches, such as this and one that gives everyone normal jump heights.

I'm also playing around with i frames to see if there's a sweet spot, but the enemy ai in this game is rather uninspired.  Being able to hit rocksteady with each swing usually means killing him before he does anything.