Shiren the Wanderer 4 Plus (PSP) - English Translation [WIP]

Started by sharksnack, August 29, 2020, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharksnack

Thanks for the encouragement! It's really nice to know that people care about such a niche series.

English translations for Shiren GB1 and GB2 are being worked on by someone who goes by Grimm. I don't think there's a public release yet, but they occasionally post updates on their twitter: https://twitter.com/gameboygrimm

nanashi89

Quote from: sharksnack on December 24, 2021, 04:36:15 PM
Quick update for anyone who is still interested in this translation

Still interested.

BTW, is a fan-translation for the DS version of Shiren 4 in the works?

sharksnack

Quote from: nanashi89 on December 25, 2021, 01:19:24 PM
BTW, is a fan-translation for the DS version of Shiren 4 in the works?

I initially planned on doing both PSP and DS versions, but decided to drop the DS version since the limitations were getting too frustrating. It's honestly a far worse gameplay experience anyway, so you're not missing much by not playing that version. That said, if someone capable wants to port the PSP translation after I'm finished, I'd consider helping them.

polyjay

cireza

Quote from: sharksnack on December 24, 2021, 04:36:15 PM
Quick update for anyone who is still interested in this translation
Thanks for the update, I am really interested in this translation, just so you know. I love Shiren 5+, it is one of my favorite games on Vita and I look forward to this one as well !

Also love the first game (the DS port).

sharksnack

It's been about a month, so just a small update - I'm still working on the 1st draft of the translation. Currently at 60/132 files translated in the script folder (NPC dialogue and story scenes), which happens to be the last folder with untranslated text now.

So given the current rate of progress, I think I should be able to finish the 1st draft within the next 1~2 months. Not sure exactly what will happen at that point, but probably lots and lots of testing, revising, and waiting for a few issues to be solved on the programming side. A couple of textures still need to be edited at some point too.

Bonk

Fantastic. Glad to see you are progressing. Never thought i'd see the day where so many Shiren games have translations in progress or completed.

sharksnack

It's been a bit again, so another quick update:

• The 1st draft of the translation is finished, and I'm currently doing a second pass through the text to clean things up.
  • Arc Impulse is working on getting the version 3.10 update to work for the best possible gameplay experience.
  • Some textures need to be edited and bugs need to be fixed, but things are looking pretty good right now.

cireza

wizardt

OMG´╝îgood work. Would's first ENG patch project for this game maybe. Glad to see you are progressing. Wish u good luck!

Cris1997XX

Damn, I'm so happy to see this translation progress! I've always wanted more Shiren after playing the first one on DS all those years ago

Red Soul

One can never have too much Shiren in one's life, that's for sure.

sharksnack

I just realized I haven't posted in this thread in quite a while, so it's time for an update.

Translation Status:
- Game translation is 100% done.
- Instructions manual translation is 29% done. (9/31 pages)
- Still waiting on 3 or so hacks to be completed before another round of playtesting.

Remaining issues include:
- 1 texture that hasn't been located yet.
- Some scrolling messages are getting cut off.
- The translation currently doesn't run on original hardware.

So, overall the project is pretty close to being finished, but we don't know how long these last few issues will take, so there still isn't an ETA for the release. I'm working on some bonus material to include with the patch right now, including a translated instructions manual (thanks to Ozidual who uploaded hi-res scans!) and  a comprehensive online wiki for the game to help players if they get stuck at any point.

Here's a preview of what the instructions manual translation will look like:

Red Soul

That's some amazing progress!
I hope it becomes real hardware compatible some time, for those that prefer this method.

Cris1997XX

Heck yeah! I can't wait to play another chapter in the Shiren series

sharksnack

Another quick update:

- Instructions manual translation is 100% done. (Will be released with the patch)
- The missing texture has been located and translated.

We're currently trying to find a solution to the scrolling messages getting cut off issue.
One possible solution is to use hardcoded line breaks, but it looks a bit awkward:

So yeah, ideally we'll be able to find a better approach, but this might make it at least playable without messages getting cut off.
Anyway, I'll continue to keep this thread updated with any new developments - and thanks for the comments! It's motivating to know that people are looking forward to the release.

Cris1997XX

Quote from: sharksnack on September 27, 2022, 05:48:52 PMAnother quick update:

- Instructions manual translation is 100% done. (Will be released with the patch)
- The missing texture has been located and translated.

We're currently trying to find a solution to the scrolling messages getting cut off issue.
One possible solution is to use hardcoded line breaks, but it looks a bit awkward:

So yeah, ideally we'll be able to find a better approach, but this might make it at least playable without messages getting cut off.
Anyway, I'll continue to keep this thread updated with any new developments - and thanks for the comments! It's motivating to know that people are looking forward to the release.
Even though this game is not as recent as Shiren 5 (Which was also released on the DS, funnily enough), it's another great chapter of the Mystery Dungeon series, and a heck of a lot better than the first two titles

cireza

Awesome news :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the patch. Hopefully you get it to play on PSP/Vita. Great work !