News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [CPS2] Hyper Street Fighter 2  (Read 3895 times)

diogoeichert

• View Profile
[CPS2] Hyper Street Fighter 2
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »
I'm interested in hacking the Hyper Street Fighter 2 (Japan variation, since it's the only version with AI) ROM. My goal is to make a few changes to the game, such as:

- have the CPU randomly select the version (SF2, CE, Turbo, Super, X);
  - or at least pick the same version chosen by the player;
- eliminate the need to charge super moves, e.g. sonic boom;
- modify the command to execute 360 super moves, e.g spinning pile driver, so that they become just a reverse half circle or something more practical;

Any kind of collaboration is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:17:44 am by diogoeichert »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: [CPS2] Hyper Street Fighter 2
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 08:43:43 pm »
Have you ever seen anything similar that would suggest to you such a hack would be possible?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

lantern48

• All your ring are belong to us.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:50:38 pm »
Do you enjoy going around being a dick? That's rhetorical.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 03:23:34 am »

Play this game, and you'll understand very quickly why we're grouchy. The computer opponents are evil.

moonmaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 07:31:50 am »
Slightly off topic.

I played around with the PS2 version included with Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Here is a patch that nerfs the AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKhYVVJ_VMo

I used cheat engine and PS2 Patch Engine to create the patch. Doesn't quite work on real hardware just yet, PS2 Patch Engine doesn't like Master Codes. I have included my code findings regardless, could prove to be useful. ;)

Back on Topic:

So here are some insights:
*US Super Turbo and its variations will at times ignore the selected difficulty option, for example if you set the difficulty at Zero (Easiest), the game will jump to Difficulty 1 and 2 in later matches. This will reflect in the game's ram.

*Much like the above, removing special move charges can be changed via ram and traced back to code via breakpoint. If I remember correctly either the ram counter goes up or down depending on how long you have been charging your attack (Like Sonic Boom or Flying Headbutt).

*I have yet to see any hack that uses old version characters, I imagine if you can select in training mode then it is certainly doable.

What you would need to do to hack HSF2 CPS2:
1. All of this would have to be done using Mame Debugger, which in itself is a bit of a pain to set up as your rom would need to be decrypted.
2. From there you would have to find the ram addresses for things like special moves and your current/next opponent.
3. Then you would have to set a write breakpoint, so when you move on to a new opponent, the game will stop to tell you the new value being written to ram. Then you will have to hex edit that code to change say SSF2T Cammy to World Warrior Chun LI.
4. You will probably have to re-encrypt said rom so it can be played via normal mame emulators, of course mame will complain about the Checksum but launching via command line could work do.

This is a short summation, so I may have left out a few details. Best of luck! :D

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 08:52:01 am »

While I dont think Jorpho is necessarily trying to be jerkish in his responses, it seems to me that he often (maybe in the absence of real knowledge about the topic), nitpicks or asks a minor question that often doesnt help the hacker. If he (and more people in general), would just do a bit of research instead and try to help with their limited knowledge, I believe that would be of more benefit to the hacker.

For example, maybe people could look up hacking documents on this version of Street Fighter or look at other projects and report their findings in an effort to be as much help as possible (like moonmaster did). :thumbsup:
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 10:55:09 am »
it seems to me that he often (maybe in the absence of real knowledge about the topic), nitpicks or asks a minor question that often doesnt help the hacker. If he (and more people in general), would just do a bit of research instead and try to help with their limited knowledge, I believe that would be of more benefit to the hacker.
Don't you think it's completely reasonable to expect someone else to also "do a bit of research" before asking a question?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 01:22:33 pm »
Don't you think it's completely reasonable to expect someone else to also "do a bit of research" before asking a question?

If you're talking about me, I do try and make a habit of checking sources before I make a claim or provide advice. Your question in this thread was a valid question, but you just stated it as a matter of fact without letting the hacker know about any other failed projects of this game.

I'm not saying your critiques are necessarily wrong, but it is disheartening and frustrating to see that you got a response to your question, only for it to be just barely related to your topic at hand or something that takes you a few steps back in your project/idea.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 01:39:23 pm »
I checked out the video, it's good that the AI is no longer brutal, but I think you made the AI a little too easy, especially it doesn't block any moves.

In my opinion, you should try and make the AI behave how it behaves in Ultra Street Fighter II.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:08:03 pm by SCD »

moonmaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 02:20:44 pm »
Its been a while since I played USF2, I'll have to fire it up again to see what it is like.

The AI Nerf is far from final. Plenty of tweaking still left to do, biggest thing I am aiming for is real hardware support.

I'm sure I can play with my codes a little more and find a proper balance. :)

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 03:14:46 pm »
Alright, I didn't know, sorry about that.

I didn't play USFII yet, but I remember people that played it said the AI in it was pretty balanced.

I'm looking forward to playing your patch on real PS2 hardware in the near future, hopefully you'll do the same thing with the arcade ROM as well.

moonmaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 05:14:40 pm »
That's quite alright! :)

I will have to grit my teeth and tackle the arcade version eventually. It feels like it is the right thing to do.

As soon as I can confirm a working hardware solution, I will upload the xdelta patch to the site.

diogoeichert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 06:01:10 am »
Play this game, and you'll understand very quickly why we're grouchy. The computer opponents are evil.

That's why I specifically pointed out the Japanese version. It's the only version of the game with a real AI implemented for CPU opponents, so it behaves like a normal Street Fighter game intended for human players. Other versions have the no-AI CPU opponent, which will basically kill the player instantly and mercilessly, hungry for more coins.

diogoeichert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 06:18:32 am »
Slightly off topic.

*US Super Turbo and its variations will at times ignore the selected difficulty option, for example if you set the difficulty at Zero (Easiest), the game will jump to Difficulty 1 and 2 in later matches. This will reflect in the game's ram.

Actually your answer was probably the most on-topic one, thanks for the insights.

About the US Super Turbo difficulty: please don't waste your time with anything US above Super. At some point, some crazy person at Capcom thought SF2 should be a 2P-only game outside of Japan and that's why since then only the Japanese versions have a proper AI implementation. I wonder if they still think it was worth it hurting the players like this.

moonmaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 01:15:54 pm »
About the US Super Turbo difficulty: please don't waste your time with anything US above Super.

Oh but I think I will. I like cleaning up horrific messes made by the game developers. The only downside is I have alot of versions to tackle.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:53:30 pm by moonmaster1 »

diogoeichert

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 01:47:35 pm »
Oh but I think I will. I like cleaning up horrific messes made by the game developers. The only downside it I have alot of versions to tackle.

I suppose it should be possible to copy the AI implementation from the Japanese ROM and plug it to the US ROM.

I've just found an article that might provide some hints about the AI location in the ROM: https://sf2platinum.wordpress.com
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:58:43 pm by diogoeichert »

moonmaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 11:30:39 pm »
For Hyper SF2, part of the US 15th Anniversary Collection on PS2. I have created these codes which nerfs the AI. It makes them less defensive and much less prone to read inputs. They remain a touch aggressive, but still managable. Playing with these codes will feel like you are playing normal difficulty on one of the SNES ports.

NOTE: The Following are RAW codes
P1 side:
21B009AF 00000000
21B009A0 00000000
21B0099C 00000000
21B0099D 00000000
21B0099E 00000000

P2 Side: (400 difference in HEX between P1 and P2)
21B005AF 00000000
21B005A0 00000000
21B0059C 00000000
21B0059D 00000000
21B0059E 00000000

I now have a patch working for real hardware. I will submit a patch and new video soon. ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:06:22 am by moonmaster1 »

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 03:21:42 am »
That's great to hear.

Another thing I would like to see done to the American versions of the PS2 & Arcade ports is restore the Japanese voice clips back to Cammy & Dee Jay.

Where Cammy will say "Spiral Arrow" & "Cannon Spike" instead of "Cannon Drill" & "Thrust Kick" and Dee Jay will say "Slash" instead of "Max Out".

I think they're still in both versions, hidden away somewhere in them.

diogoeichert

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 10:41:07 am »
Where Cammy will say "Spiral Arrow" & "Cannon Spike" instead of "Cannon Drill" & "Thrust Kick" and Dee Jay will say "Slash" instead of "Max Out".

I think they're still in both versions, hidden away somewhere in them.

I can't remember which, bur there's at least one version with both variations in the same game and as far as I recall it depends on which side the character is. It could be even one of the Zero games but I'm not sure. I also have the impression I've heard both "Max Out" and "Slash" while fighting Dee Jay on HSF2.

moonmaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 11:08:51 am »
Another thing I would like to see done to the American versions of the PS2 & Arcade ports is restore the Japanese voice clips back to Cammy & Dee Jay.
Sorry for the late response SCD.

I do all my work on the ram based side of the system. Meaning I'm limited in what I can change.

I sure it's possible to restore this clips by editing the game's elf. Only problem is it's not the same as a standard mame rom.

By looking through HxD I found several instances of PS2 Emotion Engine. Which I guess is a baked in emulator.

I wonder if Born2SPD at shoryuken has any more information on modifying character voices.

EDIT: New Video and Release!
https://youtu.be/q3CycQFmUxU
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:08:00 am by moonmaster1 »