News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Ps1] help with hex editting  (Read 1603 times)

richterwilker

• View Profile
[Ps1] help with hex editting
« on: August 29, 2020, 06:32:00 am »
Long story short: I'm trying to make a game easier so that my younger brother is able to play it.

So, there's this game, ufo - a day in the life, by love de lic, that works like pokemon snap, but you find invisible aliens by taking pictures when they make some action.

I have this code which is supposed to work as a "visualization mode": 80112A04:0013. In hex would be like 0x112A04:0x13.

I thought 112A04 would be the address, and 13 would be what i change, but i tried and it didn't work. Can someone give me some help, or guide me on the right direction on how to do this?

acediez

• View Profile
Re: [Ps1] help with hex editting
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:13:24 am »
80112A04 is a RAM address, not a disc file address.
If it's replacing a line of code, you could try a debugger to read the data in RAM at that location ingame, take a sample, and use it to locate the same data within the disc, where you would be able to modify it with the value you have.
If it's replacing some other value stored in RAM, you'd have to debug and monitor whenever the address is being written, and track down where those values come from. Quite more involved.
Either way, a GameShark doesn't give you enough data to reliably hardcode the same change, but it's a valuable starting point. With a bit of debugging experience, it's all you need to find what you're looking for.

richterwilker

• View Profile
Re: [Ps1] help with hex editting
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:49:45 am »
Thanks for the answer.
I'll try playing along with a debugger.
If i understood it right, i have to play the game and check what part of the memory changes when i do the action that i want to modify (which would be activating the "camera mode" on the game), Then checking what changed, i'll find the address, go there, and write the code over it, like "11 2A 04 13"?

Sorry if i misunderstood. I did modify hex values before, by following a tutorial, but trying to find the address and modify it with only a gameshark code is new to me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:36:05 pm by richterwilker »