News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Gamepads for emulation  (Read 1055 times)

Jangelmasa

• View Profile
Gamepads for emulation
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:35:23 am »
Some retrogames now a days are too slow for me in certain moments (BOF3 battle animations for example), so I would like to get a gamepad with extra and mappable buttons in order to put there the FPS limit skip and/or the savestate functions. Any idea?

Asaki

• View Profile
Re: Gamepads for emulation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 01:46:25 am »
Logitech Precision is pretty nice, and fairly inexpensive. It's PSX style, so there's an extra set of R and L buttons.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:21:09 am »
https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

Best Third Party controller out there. A little pricey for a controller (at $50, but I got mine for $40 on sale), but definitely worth it. I use it for all of my retro gaming needs.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 11:27:23 am »
I personally use a PS4 controller but if I were to get something else I'd totally get an sn30 pro plus. I cheaped out and got an n30pro2 and that shit is just too small for my fat hands.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 01:49:14 pm »
For 2D games I use a Sega Saturn pad with a USB  adapter, it's pulled its weight through an entire run of Celeste like a champ.

For 3D a Switch or PS4 pad is my goto.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:04:28 pm »
SN30 Pro is good enough for me.  SNES form, PS1 button layout.  The D-Pad can have some issues but they are fixable.

For first-party stuff I'm gonnna just suggest a PS4 controller, since that and XBox One are just straight bluetooth.  A lot of people swear by the XBox One, and while I get their points I just can't get behind the switching of the D-Pad and left analog in this style of layout for emulation.  Can't even get used to the Switch with that really.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 02:19:13 pm »
I just can't get behind the switching of the D-Pad and left analog in this style of layout for emulation.  Can't even get used to the Switch with that really.

I've finally found another person whose not a slave to the modern "analog stick or die" mentality. Thank you my good sir, carry on. :thumbsup:

The D-Pad can have some issues but they are fixable.

Also true, but they're very minor with some very occasional drift/lock up issues that you need to be aware of.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 04:33:25 pm »
I design game/media boxes as a hobby. I used Dualshock 2 and 3s for a decade (Despise the battery life in the DS4 among other things, don't like the dpads on Xbox controllers) until my most recent build, where I went with Switch Pro controllers.

I'm assuming you're running Windows? The Pro Controller has an amazingly good Windows driver and utility package called BetterJoy. It presents the device as an Xbox controller, so most things Just Work with it.

You can also assign a function like a keyboard key to the Capture button: I bind it to F2 so I can call up the main menu in Retroarch and save/load states from there. For other emulators I have keybinds set where pressing Capture along with another button will do state management (Capture+Minus saves, Capture+Plus loads), etc.

(I use a Dualshock 1 connected to a USB adapter that presents itself as a Dualshock 3, which I then layer an Xinput driver over for my Desktop: Convoluted but works extremely well)

*edit* I forgot to mention 8BitDo makes a Wireless USB Adapter that supports a ton of controllers with no software needed for XInput support.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:39:49 pm by Sliver X »

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 04:54:32 pm »
I use my PlayStation 2 controller and Fighting Commander 4 for 6 button to use for Sega Genesis games and for the arcade.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 01:47:43 am »
The Pro Controller has an amazingly good Windows driver and utility package called BetterJoy. It presents the device as an Xbox controller, so most things Just Work with it.

I'm having the opposite problem. I'm using WiiU Pro Controller with WiinUSoft, and I can't find an option to change it to DirectInput, so I can only use it with certain games.

But I do have the Logitech for 2D stuff, so it's not a HUGE issue at the moment.

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Translators
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 04:16:38 pm »
Please translate Tomato Adventure for GBA!
http://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

KoopaTroopa76

• Soup-er Mario Sixty-Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 04:54:00 am »
Logitech Precision is pretty nice, and fairly inexpensive. It's PSX style, so there's an extra set of R and L buttons.
I use an original PlayStation controller with a little Adapter for USB connection.
There's also a program called JoyToKey which lets you map Joystick input to Keyboard. I use it a lot.
Every time I get an idea for a new romhack I always seem to run into a big problem that stops me from completing it.
So far I've had corrupted ROMs, damaged carts, load errors, import errors, BSOD errors, hard drive errors and more errors.
I wonder what will happen next...

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 08:49:43 am »
There's also a program called JoyToKey which lets you map Joystick input to Keyboard. I use it a lot.

Joytokey is absolutely amazing! Would reccomend to anybody not using a bluetooth controller.  :laugh:

KoopaTroopa76

• Soup-er Mario Sixty-Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 05:27:42 pm »
Joytokey is absolutely amazing! Would reccomend to anybody not using a bluetooth controller.  :laugh:
Yaaay! Now I can finally play Minecraft with my SNES pad!
*attempts to play Minecraft with a SNES pad*
I think I'll just stick to the keyboard controls...
Every time I get an idea for a new romhack I always seem to run into a big problem that stops me from completing it.
So far I've had corrupted ROMs, damaged carts, load errors, import errors, BSOD errors, hard drive errors and more errors.
I wonder what will happen next...

Poe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 11:15:08 am »
I'm using a Nacon GC-100XF gamepad. However the reason I got it was because ... it's been rather cheap and it's been the only one in the shop at that time (please don't ask where I bought it ...). But I get along with it and it works pretty good. First I thought it might be a little too big for my hands but I'm fine with it. I realized later on that it looks kind of similar to a xBox gamepad. I didn't know before since I never played xBox and I didn't yet.

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 10:32:12 pm »
I use a Luxmo SNES type of controller along with JoytoKey that is similar to THIS (on the inside). I have careless kids around so its nice that if they drop it I don't have to worry - sometimes I do have to take it apart to reset the button. It actually feels pretty good on retrogames. I like the corded version so I never have to worry about batteries or Bluetooth.