News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Editing compressed graphics in a Sunsoft game  (Read 649 times)

Luciano The Windows Fan

• View Profile
Editing compressed graphics in a Sunsoft game
« on: July 17, 2020, 08:19:48 pm »
Hi, I was translating Hebereke's Popoon into Spanish, however, for special characters, I must edit the font, which is way harder to do because it was compressed, and it used a different compression method, instead of the compression method used in Super Mario World, games made by HAL Laboratory, or any other game, it uses what I would like to call the Sunsoft compression, I was typing in "aƱos", but a glitchy letter appeared just because this character didn't exist, so I typed in "anos", which is literaly "years" in Portuguese, so how could I edit these compressed graphics?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Editing compressed graphics in a Sunsoft game
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 02:09:38 am »
Are you talking about an actual graphic, or just font characters?
SNES graphics using compression often used per-game compression (though most often I have them be variations of LZ compression).
To actually replace the compressed graphics requires programming knowledge (though it is common that some ROM hackers will write code to replace individual graphics with uncompressed graphics). There's documents on how to do that.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Luciano The Windows Fan

• View Profile
Re: Editing compressed graphics in a Sunsoft game
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 02:15:46 pm »
Are you talking about an actual graphic, or just font characters?
SNES graphics using compression often used per-game compression (though most often I have them be variations of LZ compression).
To actually replace the compressed graphics requires programming knowledge (though it is common that some ROM hackers will write code to replace individual graphics with uncompressed graphics). There's documents on how to do that.
I'm talking about the font characters.