News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Missing N64 mods  (Read 1157 times)

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Missing N64 mods
« on: August 03, 2020, 08:17:02 am »
Hi all,

Today I stumbled upon a great looking N64 Mod by the name of The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link. (see: https://tml.z64.me/) This Ocarina of Time mod adds a whole new story, environments, music etc. After a search on Google, I quickly found a treasure trove of quality N64 mods. Strangely, when I search on RHDN, I find only a few of them hosted here.

So, is there a reason why these N64 mods aren't hosted on RHDN? Can I just submit them, so more people will be able to find them? Or is only the original author allowed to do so? Questions, questions... Thanks in advance for the help in clearing this up!  :)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing N64 mods
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:43:21 am »
So, is there a reason why these N64 mods aren't hosted on RHDN? Can I just submit them, so more people will be able to find them? Or is only the original author allowed to do so?
Yes, you can just submit them.

(I suppose you could check the documentation to see if the author only wants the hack to be hosted at a particular place, but that would be rather short-sighted of the author.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:03:40 am »
Ah cool! I'll get to it!  :)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 03:47:34 pm »
Ask the creators though.  A number of mine can't be submitted here for various reasons, mostly policy violations.

The Sin & Punishment translation recycles copyrighted materials; the mods have been informed of the details in the past.  Several require multiple input sources (the most was four different ROMs/images) to avoid distributing a full licensed binary, and one exceeds the maximum file size.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 03:52:00 pm »
I say post them, but then there are some ego-jealous authors that don't want their hacks hosted anywhere else but their sites or forum groups, and file non-compliant actions just for this, even if the hack page credits the proper creators.

Hard to tell, but I say post them, just credit everyone properly.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:40:06 am »
Ask the creators though.  A number of mine can't be submitted here for various reasons, mostly policy violations.

The Sin & Punishment translation recycles copyrighted materials; the mods have been informed of the details in the past.  Several require multiple input sources (the most was four different ROMs/images) to avoid distributing a full licensed binary, and one exceeds the maximum file size.

Not sure if it was the same one but I know one S&P translation (which may have even preceeded the Wii release?) was rejected for being a texture pack.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 11:41:31 am »
Are texture packs not allowed?

I was about to say, "Isn't the Paper Mario HD texture pack hosted here?", but no, it isn't here either.  But I suppose that, too, is rather unquestionably a collection of copyrighted art assets.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Euyira

• I am not nice. :|
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 08:26:31 pm »
Quote from: Zoinkity

Quote from: ShadowOne333
I say post them, but then there are some ego-jealous authors that don't want their hacks hosted anywhere else but their sites or forum groups, and file non-compliant actions just for this, even if the hack page credits the proper creators.

Quote from: Jorpho
I was about to say, "Isn't the Paper Mario HD texture pack hosted here?", but no, it isn't here either.  But I suppose that, too, is rather unquestionably a collection of copyrighted art assets.

Can just an info page be submitted to RHDN without *direct* links to violating materials? Then everyone can be aware of their existence without hosting or providing straight access to bad files.

August 05, 2020, 10:12:44 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have a followup question about policy violations:

Some restoration hacks on this site are straight copy-paste graphics from Japan to USA, with maybe a pinch of tilemap and asm changes to make it work.

From reading earlier posts, these hacks use unauthorized (licensed) copyright data and will be destroyed on takedown request?

I'd like to get a sense of the legal boundary before submitting anything (not mine) to the site.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:18:27 pm by Euyira »

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 07:11:08 am »
Can just an info page be submitted to RHDN without *direct* links to violating materials? Then everyone can be aware of their existence without hosting or providing straight access to bad files.

I think you can, since this page exists: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2195/

Euyira

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 02:55:07 pm »
History log implies that it was approved 2014-10-26, but later removed on 2014-11-18 because of C&D violation.

I guess MSU-1 are approved hacks but too large so not hosted. It'd be nice if texture, sound packs were treated similar but seems they fit under "emulator-only" clause and are rejected for now.

Quote from: Ok Impala!
So, is there a reason why these N64 mods aren't hosted on RHDN? Can I just submit them, so more people will be able to find them?

That'd be nice but getting through the submission process looks challenging. The BS Zelda Link hack by Asaki got rejected for .. dubious reasons I imagine.

edit: Looks like it might take some creativity to get more non-compliant entries into the database, using legal satisfactory means.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 03:29:43 pm »
Euyira: The BS Zelda Link hack was rejected because of clear site policy:

"Addendum: A hack that fixes bugs, improves upon, or revamps another author’s released hack. The resulting patch is intended to be a non-translation hack. Patches should contain addendum work only unless it is not possible due to the technical requirements of the patch (such as patches targeting a different ROM). The original work the hack is an addendum to should be linked in the description (The original hack must be on the site also!)."

The hack was marked as an Addendum to another hack which was not posted on this site. If MottZilla's original hack was on this site, then it would have conformed to site policy and likely been accepted.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 03:53:38 pm »
Euyira: The BS Zelda Link hack was rejected because of clear site policy:

"Addendum: A hack that fixes bugs, improves upon, or revamps another author’s released hack. The resulting patch is intended to be a non-translation hack. Patches should contain addendum work only unless it is not possible due to the technical requirements of the patch (such as patches targeting a different ROM). The original work the hack is an addendum to should be linked in the description (The original hack must be on the site also!)."

The hack was marked as an Addendum to another hack which was not posted on this site. If MottZilla's original hack was on this site, then it would have conformed to site policy and likely been accepted.
So that means I can add my slight modification of the Kirby's Dream Land DX hack as an Addendum, crediting the original author for the original hack, and it will be okay and safe from a non-compliant notice?

Euyira

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 04:18:17 pm »
Quote from: USC

Okay! Thanks for making that part very clear! I feel more confident now to try submitting some stuff (by others) in the future.

Quote from: ShadowOne333
So that means I can add my slight modification of the Kirby's Dream Land DX hack as an Addendum, crediting the original author for the original hack, and it will be okay and safe from a non-compliant notice?

Quote from: RHDN Policy
RHDN files are believed to be public domain, freeware, or contain license for distribution. If you have found, or are the owner of, a file that you believe RHDN does not have right or license to distribute, you may use the [ EDIT ] link to edit the entry. You may remove the file using the ‘No File’ checkbox within the form. Notation should be added in the entry’s description field notifying the public of the removal, and detailed reason for removal or dispute.

Quote from: RHDN Policy
Patches should contain addendum work only unless it is not possible due to the technical requirements of the patch (such as patches targeting a different ROM).

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 12:04:09 pm »
@KingMike:
Actually, Vanit's texture pack S&P translation is hosted here, despite policy:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/920/

Mine is a standalone ROM using image replacement.  Some of its work was incorporated into the Spanish translation and redub.  They did incredibly impressive work in case you've never seen it.  Thought it was hosted here; maybe only announced in the news?