Hey all, I finally got around to finishing my 3rd/4th Quest LOZ hack. The porpoise of this hack is to provide a more traditional Zelda 1 experience with some new challenges to scratch the itch of those of us that have crushed this thing 100 times and want more of the same basic thing. Here's a summary of what I did:
- Dungeon layouts heavily modified (including some rooms overlapping in multiple dungeons, causing some "off the grid" secrets)
- Minor changes to the overworld layout (90% unchanged)
- Some screens have the secret in a different spot, or in the case of the 2nd Quest, might require the recorder instead of the candle, etc.
- Different items found in shops
- Different items found in dungeons
- Different items found on docks & under Armos
- Just enough keys to complete each dungeon (if you screw this up somehow, you fork over the 100 rupees for a spare key)
- Minor NPC text changes for a few hints.
- The difficulty level is somewhere around the official Second Quest, with some moments being harder/easier
- The Second Quest in this hack takes a few extra liberties as far as the locations of heart containers and a few other things.
*Just as a warning, there are a couple of instances where it appears that part of a dungeon isn't accessible (1st Quest Level 9 comes to mind), but I can assure you that you CAN access these areas without any glitches/screenwraps/whatever. You don't need to be able to do LackAttack24-style glitches to beat this. It's meant for regular Zelda fans to be able to play through.
**Yes, there's an enemy in some dungeons that animates weird and behaves unexpectedly. This was done on porpoise.
Base rom: The Legend of Zelda (U) (PRG0)
Hash data: CRC32 D7AE93DF
I'd love some feedback on this, and if anyone wants to send a list of bugs or things that are missing, that'd be cool. There shouldn't be much, as it's been extensively playtested by me. And a year or so ago, a couple of other people ran through it with no problems. It's really the 2nd Quest on here that no one's seen yet.
Here's a link to the patch: https://mega.nz/file/MRESAQLb#_n4FQi0NcBvt0Je4LNWjZWD6VbzAQnRb4lClSikdKzg
Have a great night, everyone.