News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda II Hack Project - Dark Fortress  (Read 21131 times)

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: Zelda II Hack Project - Dark Fortress
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2020, 02:29:56 am »
After a break, I started working on a few more mechanics of the game. This time, it's palette cycling. I got the basic routine working correctly. Right now, I only use a timer that already exists, but I will eventually come with my own timer, thus having the option of variable speeds for different areas. Right now, either I use $0500, which goes down to 0 every 0x14 frames = 20 decimal = 1/3 second. Or, I can use $0485, with a cycle of 6 frames, which makes for more fluid animation.

Lava Pulse
http://bwass.org/romhack/zelda2/darkfortress/lavapulse.mp4

Stars Pulse
http://bwass.org/romhack/zelda2/darkfortress/starspulse.mp4

Those are only rough tests. In the lava test, I used the Grotto Without Candle palette as a starting point. I think it's an interesting idea to have a momentary view of the grotto, and that you have to time your actions according to the pulses because it's the only moment where you can actually see enemies. I think it's better than just having everything black and squint to see shadows on the ground.

For the stars, I just recycled the clouds objects and replaced with a new tiles, and cycled to palette to various shades of blue. I will eventually create a new object that can spread the stars tiles more randomly. In the Stars video, you can also see a few attempts at new graphics, like the Bit/Bot enemies, the grass and the Enemy Killed Animation.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2020, 02:44:24 pm »
Trax - Once again, the work that you do is totally amazing. I'm definitely excited to see what you do next.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2020, 05:16:14 pm »
How is your progress going, Trax?  Looking forward to seeing more!  :) 

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2020, 08:18:58 pm »
I am currently working on a new passive enemy that will be set as Enemy Code 08, which is unused in the original game. The enemy is a switch that can be activated or deactivated to move gates in the Overworld. I will release a small demo that showcases the creation of a new enemy with its own logic, even though it's very simple and doesn't even move or attack. It also demonstrates how the Overworld can be modified to make it more dynamic, and in this case, add some puzzle element to the game. This kind of modification happens in the Side View, and when you return to the Overworld, something has changed according to the player's actions.

I will also add a few more types of tiles to demonstrate how the Overworld can look less monotonous by displaying more than 16 tile types.

Stay tuned!

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2020, 02:13:47 am »
That does sound really great.  The overworld needs new stuff like that!  A new enemy that doesn't move or attack?  That is very curious, considering it has its own logic.  What kind of enemy could that possibly be?  :o  Can't wait to see this demo.

Did you ever decide anything for the title screen?  Been wondering about that...

LadyCannock

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2020, 05:30:46 pm »
Just found about this project by accident. As a Z2 fan, I really can't wait to try the demo/full version, which ever comes out first.

Your lava pulse is both annoying and amazing. Annoying features in a game can prove a great challenge, and this one is a great idea.  The Bit/Bot monsters' transparency effect is pretty kool, too. Do you plan on using such feature on some other monsters?

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2020, 09:01:53 pm »
Not to water down my work, but don't expect a very long demo. Just a way to showcase a new game mechanics. Similar to the Ice Tile demo (first page of this topic), but a bit longer. But rest assured, it's almost certain that all these things will be in the final hack, one way or another.

IcePenguin. I have a general idea of the title logo, and I will try to have the intro contain more stuff, maybe a mix of text and images, possibly with animations, if there's enough space available.

LadyCannock. Great to see another follower in the ranks. If you have any ideas or questions, let us know. The other pages of the thread give a good idea of where the hack is going. I tried to make the Bit/Bot transparent, as a reference to Majora's Mask Chuchu, which strangely ressemble the Bits/Bots, so it kinda goes full circle. I imagine them like drops of colored water. I don't know about the appearance of other monsters so far. I thought about having other color schemes for enemies throughout the game. What I do know is that there will be a lot more variations on the same enemies. They will become stronger and more random as the game progresses.