So I wanted to take a stab at translating this game. I'm by no means fluent in Japanese but Ive been playing Fire Pro Wrestling for decades.
I read through what little documentation there is for Saturn hacking, and I'm a little confused on where to start.
Rather than try to discuss what I don't know, I'd like to begin with what I *DO* know.
I used CDmage 5B to extract the ISO contents:
Wasn't lucky enough to have any sort of ASCII table in a plain file format.
Opened the files in a hexeditor (wxMEdit) and set it to Unicode 8bit
1st.bin Has some setting variables defined:
and it also seems to have the ASCII table:
2nd.bin seems to setting music?
3rd.bin seems to be setting the variables for all the moves?
I had all the layers on:
So I hit 1 to turn off VDP1
Boom sprites off, so I knew, as expected that VPD1 would have some info on the text/kanji
So I went into the VPD1 debug and found the first character:
This is where I'm stuck. I have no idea how the Saturn knows how to display that character or where its getting it from, or how to change it.
Basically the edit screen translates to this:
(along the right)
Wrestler Make (Appearance)
Skill Edit (Character)
Parameter Edit (Attribute)
Skill Equipment (Moves)
CPU Logic (Brain of Computer controlled players)
Data Protection (Load/Save/Delete)
End (Exit this mode)
bottom left is
Any help on getting started?
July 28, 2020, 02:16:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok I poked around a bit and figured out I was using the wrong values in my search. I actually used google translate app on my phone to draw the character, then search that character in a Shift JIS table. String a few values together and I was able to find big chunks in 2nd.bin
Im using this JIS Table: https://mattsmessyroom.com/uploads/sjis.tbl
so big shout out to Matt and his messy room.
I also set encoding in the hexeditor to Shift-JIS and that lets me see the correct characters in the editor.
And with that we have the basic wrestler edit menu in ENGLISH!
There are some *HUGE* limitations, so much more info in in the Japanese, so I had to make some sacrifices.
For example, where that screenshot says "ACT" literally translates into "skill equipment / skills equipped" and localized is closer to meaning "Move set" but I only get 3 letters since I couldn't do it with the 2bit values in the JIS table (the lines would just be blank) I had MVS there , short for "moves" but Pinball Jim came up with "Act" , short for "actions" so badda bing badda boom, its in.
So for now Im injecting the altered file into the ISO with CDMage and it seems to work just peachy in the emulator "Yaba Sanshiro" v3.4.0 ; to note I did have to emulate BIOS to get the game to stop crashing at match loads