News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: IPS patching issues - please help with SNES hacks!  (Read 3302 times)

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
IPS patching issues - please help with SNES hacks!
« on: July 26, 2020, 10:57:27 pm »
I've tried everything..... :-[

I've been attempting to patch 2 Super Mario Kart hacks for about a year now: Mario Kart R and Hyper Street Kart. I've also been trying to patch the recent Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit for a while now as well. Through some miracle, I finally was able to successfully patch the Hyper Street Kart rom and get it working! :P

But I STILL haven't been able to get the other two working. I've used the correct undheadered .smc rom for Mario Kart R several times now and tried many different roms for SMK: Super Circuit (it has a very general description of SMK (USA/Canada)).

Can someone who has successfully gotten these to work guide me in the right direction? I've been patching roms for several years and checking SNES rom headers for a while, so I would think I understand how that works, but maybe I'm overlooking something...... I've also used several different roms from around 3 to 4 different sites, so any help would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

(PS- I prefer to play these games on my SNES Classic (Canoe or SNES9x2005), though I've tested them on my PC through SNES9x2005 in Retroarch, so if theres any conflict there, please let me know)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:10:17 am by Supergamerguy »
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: IPS patching issues - please help with Super Mario Kart hacks!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 11:59:58 pm »
I got both Mario Kart R and Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit working with the following ROM. Make sure you use a headered ROM.

Database match: Super Mario Kart (USA)
Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
File SHA-1: BA6EE84255F43773A5697D2A08BC453B256921AA
File CRC32: 5028CB31
ROM SHA-1: 47E103D8398CF5B7CBB42B95DF3A3C270691163B
ROM CRC32: CD80DB86
Mauron wuz here.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
Re: IPS patching issues - please help with Super Mario Kart hacks!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:09:48 am »
I got both Mario Kart R and Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit working with the following ROM. Make sure you use a headered ROM.

Database match: Super Mario Kart (USA)
Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
File SHA-1: BA6EE84255F43773A5697D2A08BC453B256921AA
File CRC32: 5028CB31
ROM SHA-1: 47E103D8398CF5B7CBB42B95DF3A3C270691163B
ROM CRC32: CD80DB86

Thank you so much! I finally got it to work using the 2017 No intro rom set immediately. You've saved me a lot of frustration, Mauron, and I can't thank you enough.

July 27, 2020, 10:14:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I also cant get either of the Captain Toad Treasure Tracker hacks (I or II) to work in SNES9x2005. Is this because of the sa-1 chip functionality or is it because it requires the rom from the SNES No intro rom set (or both)?

July 27, 2020, 11:40:32 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I cant get Ill Manero Spectrale (Luigis Spooky Quest), the Second Reality Project 2 Reloaded - Zycloboos Challenge, or Super Mario World 2+2 to work.

If anybody can confirm if any of these hacks (and/or the ones mentioned earlier) are working and provide a rom description (i.e. header or no header, no intro set, USA or Europe or Japan, etc.), that would be amazing!

EDIT: I got Ganpuru Gunmans Proof (English translation), Cu-On-Pa (English translation), and Secret of Evermore Two Player working after some trial and error in SNES Rom Utility while messing around with some headers.

Yoshis Strange Quest works until you actually get in game, but  all the HUD shows but not any gameplay........
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:19:50 pm by Supergamerguy »
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: IPS patching issues - please help with SNES hacks!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 01:05:48 pm »
When it comes to SNES hacks, the vast majority of problems are usually solved by adding a header before applying the patch, or by removing a header before applying the patch - assuming you have the correct ROM to begin with.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 03:03:34 pm »
When it comes to SNES hacks, the vast majority of problems are usually solved by adding a header before applying the patch, or by removing a header before applying the patch - assuming you have the correct ROM to begin with.

I'll test them all out using SNES Rom Utility's "Does this rom need a header" functions and update my list.

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 03:12:54 am »
You can use my patcher, which adds/removes the header for you (by checking the needed checkbox before patching), so you don't need to mess with other tools.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 04:21:47 pm »
You can use my patcher, which adds/removes the header for you (by checking the needed checkbox before patching), so you don't need to mess with other tools.

I'll make sure to check that out now that I've ruled out what I can get working with SNES Rom Utility and Lunar. Thanks! Hopefully this helps.

July 29, 2020, 06:22:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok guys, I'm still having issues. Some of these are emulator issues, so I need help with those too.

My Super Bomberman 5 rom, the one needed for the translation hack, doesn't work in SNES9x2005. The Hudson-Soft Logo comes up and then a few seconds of the opening cutscene plays before it freezes, both before any translation hack and after.

The Yoshi's Strange Quest hack also doesn't work right. The title screen works fine, but once you get into gameplay, only the hud shows, with no gameplay or music.

Both Captain Toad SNES hacks don't even boot in SNES9x2005, and neither does Yoshi's Island 2+2.

I promise I have the right source roms for all these hacks (except for YI2+2, which has the right file name, but not the right rom info), I used marc_max's patcher to check the rom info (Btw, Thanks Marc!)

Please enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong or any emulator issues.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:22:21 pm by Supergamerguy »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 08:19:11 pm »
It is entirely possible that SNES9x2005 is incompatible with these hacks for one reason or another.  Isn't that really old?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 09:46:03 pm »
It is entirely possible that SNES9x2005 is incompatible with these hacks for one reason or another.  Isn't that really old?

Yeah, but it's the secondary SNES emulator for my SNES classic, so if Canoe doesnt work, which it sometimes wont with certain rom hacks, that's my go to emulator.

Also, just found out that regular, untranslated Super Bomberman 5 works on Canoe, so I'll have to try out the translated version tomorrow.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 01:27:45 am »
You know there's already a huge number of documented hacks just to get official retail releases running under Canoe, right?  It is not at all surprising that unofficial hacks and translations would fail to work under Canoe.  That is not an IPS patching issue.

Trickless

• View Profile
    • Japan Adventure Attack!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 05:04:33 am »
For the Snes mini/Canoe, I've been using the SFROM tool to patch unheadered roms on hakchi with no issue - including translation patches for Gunman's Proof and Super Bomberman 5.

Only time i didn't use SFROM tool were: bps patches, patches that require headers but removing afterwards (e.g. Wonder Project J) or require additional patch for Canoe to work (e.g. DQ3)

edit: recommend reading the Canoe thread if you haven't already: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:35:41 am by Trickless »

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 07:17:59 am »
You know there's already a huge number of documented hacks just to get official retail releases running under Canoe, right?  It is not at all surprising that unofficial hacks and translations would fail to work under Canoe.  That is not an IPS patching issue.

Yeah I know, and I've used those Canoe fixes frequently, it's some of the unofficial romhacks (especially Super Mario World ones for some reason?) that are sometimes not compatible with Canoe (or SNES9x2005).

For the Snes mini/Canoe, I've been using the SFROM tool to patch unheadered roms on hakchi with no issue - including translation patches for Gunman's Proof and Super Bomberman 5.

Only time i didn't use SFROM tool were: bps patches, patches that require headers but removing afterwards (e.g. Wonder Project J) or require additional patch for Canoe to work (e.g. DQ3)

edit: recommend reading the Canoe thread if you haven't already: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.0

I've used that tool a couple of times to get games like Street Fighter Alpha 2 working with Canoe, but I had forgotten that it also does IPS patches, I'll have to give it another shot. Thanks!

July 30, 2020, 01:27:36 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The Super Bomberman 5 English translation works fine on Canoe btw, so thats not a problem anymore. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:27:36 pm by Supergamerguy »

Raeven0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 03:18:14 pm »
it's some of the unofficial romhacks (especially Super Mario World ones for some reason?) that are sometimes not compatible with Canoe (or SNES9x2005).
SMW hacking blossomed in an era when hacks were written for specific emulators, not for the SNES. Canoe only exacerbates the compatibility situation by being a bizarrely poor emulator itself.

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 03:24:59 pm »
SMW hacking blossomed in an era when hacks were written for specific emulators, not for the SNES. Canoe only exacerbates the compatibility situation by being a bizarrely poor emulator itself.

As a universal emulator, yeah: Canoe is pretty bad for trying to play every SNES game. But the games it is compatible with (without SFROM Tools or anything), work amazingly on the SNES Classic, and SNES9x2005 picks up the slack for me as well (with the exception of the interesting Captain Toad hacks, sadly).