News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Can't find strings.  (Read 383 times)

pedrocaseiro95

• View Profile
Can't find strings.
« on: July 25, 2020, 01:37:08 pm »
Hi guys.
I know this game isn't famous and I'm sure most of you didn't even play it but it's one of my favorites.
The game is called Exhaust Heat in Europe and Japan, F1 Race Of Champions in the USA.
The game is based in the 1991 F1 season but it doesn't have licensing so the names aren't real.

I plan to also correct the driver's names but first I'm starting with the engines:
Jadd V8 is Judd V8
Foro V8 is Ford V8
Ilmoa V10 is Ilmor V10
Renart V10 is Renault V10

So far these are corrected. The problem is that there are two more engines that need correction:
Ferari V12 and Homda V12 must be corrected to Ferrari V12 and Honda V12

I use snes9x to emulate and WindHex to edit the game text. I use relative search ("ignore case + start search from beginning + use "*" for wildcards ticked" ✔) type in the wrong name of the engine and then alter to the correct name. The problem is that when I type ferari or homda WindHex gives me the dialog that the String wasn't found, like in the screenshot below. The previous engine names were corrected using this method but I can't seem to find a way to get to the remaining two strings.

I'm two days in into this ROM hacking and editing scene, so I might be doing something wrong or using the wrong tools. I could really use some help and pointers for future projects.

Thanks

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find strings.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 01:56:32 am »
Please do not make duplicate threads.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31092.0
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018