News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: New leak of Nintendo Source code, beta, keys and dev notes to SNES, GB and more  (Read 8239 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I suppose wild guessing about a Days of Ruin build that's not leaked is pointless. Between the cheat and the Japanese dsi/3ds release, we know anything worth knowing.

For that matter, I don't think the original Japanese versions of Advance Wars 1 or 2 have surfaced either. Even if they're almost certainly identical to the 1+2 collection release.

The good news is someone claims to have compiled Japanese Dr. Mario 64 from the recent source code leaks. Stay tuned in case instructions are posted.
https://twitter.com/crashoveride953/status/1287560687116574720
How odd that an unreleased Chinese localization of Advance Wars 1 would surface before the Japanese original? (especially if you want to believe that it was canceled JUST because of 9/11, which would've only been hours before the game's scheduled launch. Doesn't quite add up if you consider the logistics of last-second canceling a physical game? There'd have to have been tens of thousands of copies at least of the game just sitting in the warehouse, destined to collect dust if it was decided to never ship them, which I'd imagine would've made Yamauchi cry at the thought of effectively wasted money. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
Wish the leaker would've at least given us some more insight on the development of games like Kirby Super Star, NES games, etc.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
How odd that an unreleased Chinese localization of Advance Wars 1 would surface before the Japanese original? (especially if you want to believe that it was canceled JUST because of 9/11, which would've only been hours before the game's scheduled launch. Doesn't quite add up if you consider the logistics of last-second canceling a physical game? There'd have to have been tens of thousands of copies at least of the game just sitting in the warehouse, destined to collect dust if it was decided to never ship them, which I'd imagine would've made Yamauchi cry at the thought of effectively wasted money. :P )

With or without 9/11, the release date was murky. From what I gather it was last slated for October before going into hiatus. I don't think Advance Wars 2 actually got confirmation for Japan.

A bit more digging raises other curiosities. Sabre Wulf and Diddy Kong Pilot were displayed at Space World 2001, but their comparably long-delayed final forms didn't make the jump at all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:10:52 am by tc »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
And yet, this Twitter thread thrives.
https://twitter.com/TheLX5/status/1286807705315872768
It could be that they're quietly attempting to go straight for the source of the leaks, to avoid another media incident when new competition against the Switch is approaching.  There were apparently some hints that even more is coming, after all.

Asaki

• View Profile
And yet, this Twitter thread thrives.
https://twitter.com/TheLX5/status/1286807705315872768

I think he specifically meant YouTube.

Idunno, usually when people are in doubt, they try to play it safe.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
I did, YouTube is a completely different game from Twitter thanks to it's broken copyright system, larger channels especially need to watch who's toes they step on or risk losing their channels and means of income.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Euyira

• I am not nice. :|
    • View Profile
Quote from: Asaki
I started going through a bunch of it, but I wanted to try and find other people who were working on it first, so we could collaborate.

You should speak to "NewRisingSun" at forums.nesdev.com.

Quote from: NewRisingSun
The only ROM files in the master database are those for which an order to manufacture was given. So, no prototypes. There are five rev1 versions that are not yet (as of today) in No-Intro:

Bridgestone Cycle: Radac Tailor-made (Japan)
    Dragon Slayer Jr.: Romancia (Japan)
    Family Computer Othello (Japan)
    Nintendo World Cup (North America)
    Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball (North America)

I have already added their hash values to the NES 2.0 XML Header Database.
Also, their master ROMs of Athena (J), Reigen Doushi and Hyakkiyakou are corrupt, and CNROM+Security (mapper 185) games --- 8 KiB CHR-ROM, with three of the four latch values disabling CHR-ROM --- are stored as the equivalent of mapper 3 hacks, that is, 32 KiB of CHR-ROM with the "disabled" banks being filled with FF.

segwayspeedracer

• View Profile
Personally, I am studying computer science and am taking an ASM 6502 class.. having super mario kart source code is super interesting for me to learn on as I learn that language. Hard for me to get any real value from reading the source until I understand basic asm

DJ Incendration

• View Profile
It's cool to see all the weird beta stuff, but I doubt much else of interest will arise from any of this.  (I'm still hoping to see more of that Super Mario Land 2 beta I saw exhibited around 25 years ago.)

I can't imagine why Nintendo would leave any of this stuff casually sitting around on a network share where anyone can casually log in and nab it.  My bet is that someone scrounged an old backup from a dumpster.
Huh... Well, there is something I'm interested in but I can't seem to find: the GBA thing. GBC in GBA has a slightly different bios, and that seems to be in the leak. I can't seem to get an actual file, it just has a conf thing, format, and a bunch of other nonsense but not a file. The readme file says it's a subversion thing, but I can't use that! At least, I don't know how. A file would help a lot, since the emulator I use now requires a different file than just the GBC bootrom. I don't know what to do, but the leak seems interesting. Beta of Pokémon... wow, actually interesting.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
A file would help a lot, since the emulator I use now requires a different file than just the GBC bootrom.
I don't know what you're referring to, but whatever it is has almost certainly been available long, long before this leak happened.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

• View Profile
New round incoming (3 of the gigaleak family but there were previous efforts).

Not sure of complete contents

Pokemon Emerald multi languages/international version source code likely being the primary point of interest. Includes some dev tools and base music tracks (prior to conversion to GBA format*). Not sure what this brings the list of pokemon source code dumps (official and remakes) to now but it is quite a few of them.

Few wii debug tools and code for them. This may also include the startup disc that was popular for a hot moment there (Nintendo updated many things to block hacks but left their not seen in normal retail units one unpatched and it had leaked so continued being a way in before further hacks dropped).

Some dev docs about some of the wii internal chips. Quite possibly something of great interest to hardware historians and maybe some repair peeps but I doubt any emulator devs (even if they wanted to) or hackers/homebrew types will gain much from it (reminder we already saw the Wii private keys drop in an earlier one of these leaks).

*never sure what to make of such things (do they count as more pure, or did the composers master them to sound good on the GBA) but I did enjoy the people doing high quality remakes of SNES Donkey Kong a while back and will be happy to see something here tools.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Emerald source is almost useless when it comes to any hacking use because of disassembly existing, again.  More beta sprites and music would be nice though (kinda doubt placeholder sprites will be a thing this time around since this is third version).  Unfortunately, I think we're about done with early Pokemon revelations for the most part but I could be wrong.

Everything else might have something useful though.

EDIT: Oh hey, interesting that they used spreadsheets to localize.  Reminds me of a lot of stuff I've done before.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:39:29 pm by Chronosplit »

MysticLord

• View Profile
Hoping and praying that someone hacks Square Enix next. :angel:

Vehek

• View Profile
Like we'd get much out of it. They lost some of the finalized source code so quickly back in the PS1 days.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Like we'd get much out of it. They lost some of the finalized source code so quickly back in the PS1 days.
And code before that has been lost.  It was confirmed that this at least happened to FFV, which is why it ended up the way it did on Mobile/Steam.

Though, that may have been just a simple excuse as that release was based on the GBA version.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
I just realized that Square-Enix's abysmally poor source code handling is probably also why so few games from Enix have been re-released, that and the fact that most of Enix's catalogue is probably too niche/bizarre to market in this day and age.

I'm finally learning SNES assembly now so I'll definitely check out some of the leaked code sometime.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Enix games are often a legal entanglement at that. It's unclear who has the assets from their defunct developers like Produce and Quintet.

Bregalad

• View Profile
I'm actually fairly sure Enix is just a publisher, like for example Tradewest and Acclaim, and nevrer developped any games.
  • Door Door their very 1st game was also developped by Chunsoft
  • Portopia Renzoku was developped by Chunsoft
  • Dragon Quest series was developped by Chunsoft
  • Just Breed is developped by Random House
  • The SNES games published by Enix, such as Terranigma or Robotrek were mostly developped by Quintet
After that Enix was pretty much just Dragon Quest and nothing else, before they bought Squaresoft following the commercial failure of the movie Final Fantasy-The Spririt Within

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Does that mean Produce probably owns the rights to 7th saga and not square-enix? I wish I could get my hands on the rights to the 7th saga.