News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Born of Dreamers - formerly Secret of Evermore 2  (Read 48703 times)

relenting1

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Evermore 2 Born of Dreams
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2016, 10:57:11 pm »

See more artwork by clicking the link below
http://relenting1.wixsite.com/nathanielk

Thank you all so much!
=]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:21:48 pm by MathOnNapkins »

Merr Man

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
Been a fan of the first game, really liked the Gothic tone of the game plus the strange, but diverse, sets of worlds to explore, and thought about a sequel to it, of course if I like a game I would always say that I would like a sequel. Following this thread, here, I am actually pretty excited for this game to exist, so good luck!

SkyFlames

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2017, 04:39:42 am »
Thank you for making this, I've almost shed a tear by seeing the update images. This game was my first epic adventure, and I felt really empty when I finished it eleven years ago. Hope you can finish it some day, and please don't doubt about posting in-game screenshots when you feel like it.

Thank you again for this, to you Utopia and your team. Best wishes.

Utopia

• Born of Dreamers
    • View Profile
    • Born of Dreamers
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2017, 10:56:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for your continued support, we are happy to announce we finally have a soundcloud page for the project!

https://soundcloud.com/user-554482690

We have uploaded quite a few demo tracks for you to sink your teeth into  :thumbsup: so enjoy!

Our focus has been developing our story more and more and we are looking into adding some really exciting ideas to help make the game even more dynamic. All this aside we have been having a bit of trouble with locating a pixel artist who can handle the creation of map design, so this has slowed us down dramatically. This isn't stopping us though, look forward to more updates from the team coming soon. I will do my best to post weekly updates from this point on.

Please check my posts for official links to the project. At this point in time, I am the only one who will providing such information.

Cheers :beer:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:16:02 pm by Utopia »
Always looking to hear from the fans! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email me at BornofDreamers@gmail.com

Social Media: https://twitter.com/bornofdreamers

Utopia

• Born of Dreamers
    • View Profile
    • Born of Dreamers
Big News
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 12:37:46 am »
Hi friends  :crazy:

What a journey, its been a long time but I finally decided it was a good idea to come back and make a post on this thread. Yes, I know that bumping old threads isn't usually a good thing but in this case it needed to be done. I have been receiving lots of emails from fans who through their journeys on the internet brought them to this thread. Searching for any sort of information around Secret of Evermore and possible spiritual sequels, fan projects, and so on, they began having questions that needed answers. So here I am, ready answer to these questions as well as give the full story and updates regarding what happened with the project.

I should begin with the current state of the project and what has been happening over the last few years. The game had been developed quite a bit from scratch in Unity. We had reached a point where we had developed a few maps and a handful of unique enemies. Building the code from the ground up was essentially the same as building an indie game, instead of editing the original rom. We wanted to create a game that was going to stand on it's own. We started discuss the project's future and decided that as we developed content that the game simply was becoming more and more ambitious. It was a hard decision to make but I decided that I no longer simply wanted to create a sequel to Secret of Evermore but instead to create an entirely new game. Of course their was plenty of inspiration that I still had from Evermore and that can be seen in what we are currently working on.

The team I had at the time was disbanded, it was best for everyone and we all learned so much from working together. Shortly after this happened, I began working on this new project. I developed everything again from scratch and began drawing inspiration from many other games as well as Evermore. This was the game I wanted to build all along.

This new game I have been slowly developing over the years creating story, concept art and pixel art work. The last year and half and made incredible progress. I finally have begun working with a veteran in the industry of game development, a true professional who specifically works with small indies to bring high quality projects to life. We are a solid team, very small, yet very focused. That brings me to the current state of the project. We are currently in pre-development and it is going very well. We are working towards our first playable demo with some sort of short video trailer. Once we are finished with pre-development we plan to release a kickstarter trailer accompanied by the kickstarter campaign.

For fans of Evermore and the fan project we worked on prior to the current game we were building, here is some insight to our style.  Inspiration is being taken from Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Chrono Trigger and a few others. Those 4 game are our main influence and Evermore is still my biggest of the four without a doubt.  I hope everyone who continues to have passion and love for Evermore that this game will be what they have been waiting for and even more then ever could have imagined.

If you have interest in following us and learning more we have some social media links I can provide here and I can also update the initial post for this thread with the same links. Currently, we have not been using social media up until a few weeks ago. Also all of the old posts I had made were deleted due to the content being wiped out by the fire. That being said, as I mentioned above, we have tons of content just waiting to be revealed (I'm talking lots  :laugh: ) but we have been keeping quiet about posting content.  Development has been the priority over the last 6 months but the time has come to start rolling out updates and art for the fans. Builds of the game in action are also very close so after discussing it, we decided to get on social media and start talking about it.

Please feel free to follow us at the following social media links:

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/bornofdreamers/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/BornofDreamers
IndieDB - https://www.indiedb.com/games/born-of-dreamers
Facebook page - Coming soon
Steam - Coming soon

Also, below is an old mock up piece that was put together around the time of the conception, building the early concept for the game. I only had one character and a single map and keep in mind this is over 2 years old. This is simply to give you an idea of the art style without spoiling any new content that we have yet to post.

For now I think that about covers everything. I don't want to ramble on and on. We are looking forward to hearing from more of you and I want to say a huge thank you to all who contacted me personally. All the fans who showed me love and support. You reminding me of the passion that inspired me to create a game that I wanted to play for the love for the old school gamers like myself. That there are plenty of people out there who want this to play this game and share that same passion. In those hard times, it was you who kept pushing me forward. I really appreciate you from the bottom of my heart. We are working hard to make the best possible game for every single of one of you and I promise we won't let you down.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:10:46 am by Utopia »
Always looking to hear from the fans! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email me at BornofDreamers@gmail.com

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Born of Dreamers - formerly Secret of Evermore 2
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2019, 04:40:29 pm »
"new" mockup looks good! Good luck with this.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Utopia

• Born of Dreamers
    • View Profile
    • Born of Dreamers
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2019, 01:36:41 am »
For anyone interested, update have started rolling out and will continue to do so regularly from this point forward on all our social medias. I might even update this thread if people become active in here.  ;) Big things are coming!

mrjojo1267

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 04:56:34 am »
Looking forward to the updates  ;D

Utopia

• Born of Dreamers
    • View Profile
    • Born of Dreamers
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2020, 01:07:19 pm »
Hey Evermore fans, retro geeks and newcomers! It's been a while but I thought I would drop an update here. We've been hard at work for quite some time on mechanics and getting the core parts of the game designed. It's been quite a challenge and there are so many things from Secret of Evermore that I have learned. It certainly has lots of flaws but most of all, there were ideas that were programmed and never really saw much use in terms of game design. Needless to say, much of what was seen in Evermore isn't exactly good but rather taking what IS good and expanding on that is what is interesting.

We hope that we will be able to show off gameplay soon but we still are working through programming the mechanics to be ready to show.  That being said, even with the delays this year brought we are getting closer. Since I wanted to show off some of the games worlds that you be exploring I decided to start showing off new updates of areas inside these worlds, once a month on our social media. You can check out our twitter page if you want to see more on that. I'd like to do something fun here, so I will post an extra little sneak peek for people to take a look.

How it Started

VS

How's it Going

If you guys have any Evermore related questions or just general questions about development feel free to ask here! I will try to check this from time to time and respond to your questions. We are working soon on launching a Patreon, we also will have other ways to support us through our pre-development coming soon, if that's something your interested in then you can look for ways to follow along below.

If you want to stay in more direct touch you can comment directly on Twitter ~ https://twitter.com/bornofdreamers

You can also join our discord for new updates, chatting and hanging out with us there!
Discord: http://discord.gg/bZfkkVg  :beer:

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2020, 06:18:20 pm »
Looks cool! A few of questions:
1. Will it have co-op?
2. Is alchemy collecting still a thing?
3. Will using spells pause gameplay?
4. Are enemy spells undodgeable?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Utopia

• Born of Dreamers
    • View Profile
    • Born of Dreamers
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2020, 12:14:16 am »
Looks cool! A few of questions:
1. Will it have co-op?
2. Is alchemy collecting still a thing?
3. Will using spells pause gameplay?
4. Are enemy spells undodgeable?

Great questions, thanks for bringing these up. When it comes to Evermore, these are big topics and many people are wondering if these features will return.

Let me start with three of your questions which are regarding spells, including the question about ingredients/collecting.  I'll answer those three now by saying the magic system is something we are leaving for later. It's not a priority at the moment, though I will say that there are plans to create magic in way that reflects a simplistic version of alchemy.

This will allow for collecting still, also the spells would be able to be assigned to 1/2 hot keys which would allow for real time casting. As far as dodging spells is concerned, it's something we have yet to tackle. I'd like to make it so that you can do so, it all depends on the combat mechanics being done first. If it ends up being to easy to abuse, or not useful enough, etc, etc. We need to test these things once combat is further along otherwise we will have to rework it all again later.

As for co-op, depending on the final result it may or may not fit well with the game. I'm thinking I'd like to include the feature but it all depends on if it would cause issues. I noticed in Evermore even, that if that feature wasn't included there was a reason. After testing out the patch with the feature added, it causes many problems due to the design of the game. Many of these features would be even more of an issue unless addressed properly and therefore unless I put the extra work into that feature it would all depend if fans really want co-op.

Keep the questions coming, also feedback is welcome. We'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2020, 12:58:19 am »
So this isn't really Secret of Evermore 2 at all and just piggy packing on the name to get/gain attention... Also I don't like the art direction I'm seeing so far if you were going to a SoE inspired sequel, it's way to colorful and cartoonish, misses the whole point of the grittiness that was SoE.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2020, 01:46:36 am »
It hasn't been a sequel for over a year. There have been plenty of fangames that discarded their origins and changed to original IPs. I don't know enough about SoE to say whether it's less faithful to its inspiration than those other games, but saying it was just using the name to get attention is incorrect.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2020, 03:56:24 am »
I'm dozing off into a post-workout food coma and I felt compelled to comment that this project is a work of art, and I look forward to playing it and - let's be honest here - poking around in it's innards with a hex editor.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2020, 04:44:25 am »
@Vehek
Alright, I just assumed it was a ROM hack of sorts, and based on Evermore from the title, since this is Romhacking.net afterall, if it's not a ROM hack and instead going to be its "own thing", not sure why it's being posted about here, and it's clearly using the Evermore brand to garner attention, but whatever.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 04:53:27 am by Special »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2020, 10:36:28 am »
Great questions, thanks for bringing these up. When it comes to Evermore, these are big topics and many people are wondering if these features will return.

Let me start with three of your questions which are regarding spells, including the question about ingredients/collecting.  I'll answer those three now by saying the magic system is something we are leaving for later. It's not a priority at the moment, though I will say that there are plans to create magic in way that reflects a simplistic version of alchemy.

This will allow for collecting still, also the spells would be able to be assigned to 1/2 hot keys which would allow for real time casting. As far as dodging spells is concerned, it's something we have yet to tackle. I'd like to make it so that you can do so, it all depends on the combat mechanics being done first. If it ends up being to easy to abuse, or not useful enough, etc, etc. We need to test these things once combat is further along otherwise we will have to rework it all again later.

As for co-op, depending on the final result it may or may not fit well with the game. I'm thinking I'd like to include the feature but it all depends on if it would cause issues. I noticed in Evermore even, that if that feature wasn't included there was a reason. After testing out the patch with the feature added, it causes many problems due to the design of the game. Many of these features would be even more of an issue unless addressed properly and therefore unless I put the extra work into that feature it would all depend if fans really want co-op.

Keep the questions coming, also feedback is welcome. We'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts!

Hey, thanks for the quick response. Sounds good so far. Well, I for one like most of the enemy magic being dodgeable like attacks/movement are, at least like in Evermore where you could use healing items and some spells IIRC and if you timed it right you would dodge via the invulnerability frames gained during the healing animations.

I also liked the grouping together of similar spells and weapons that the rebalancing hack of Evermore did, cutting down on grinding new spells each time if you wanted them to be useful. Just a sidenote.

I think if you're also going for the SoM fanbase you should consider co-op, it would be a cool addition and could make for some interesting puzzle design a la Goof Troop or Zelda 4 Swords, but not a must of course. Will be interesting to see what you come up with for the puzzles!

I am of course curious about the setting and historical periods it will feature (and how it affects the dog), though I don't mind being surprised either.