Seeing as this topis is for Jungle Wars 2, should I assume the first one has been completed?
Was looking for an RPG project to help with translating and your Jungle Wars project came up.
Still looking for someone to help translate this game?
Helo, Saihig! Thanks for offering to help. My intention wasn't exactly to do a full translation of this game (I tried in the past, using a tool called Wanderbar, but then the "Goemon3 T-word" controversy happened and I had a fit and quit). Instead, my current intention with this post was to make a full table file and using it to be able to identify the game's text using a hex editor with Japanese support, and perhaps see if it was relatively easy to extract it. And then, make a video documenting the whole process, in case it might be helpful to other people who, like me, is newbie in snes romhacking (but Filler kind of beat me to it, as this recent video of his explains practically the same that I wanted to show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VySlNqNICyk
I even managed to change some lines of text modifying the rom directly via hex editing, but translating the full game that way would be excruciatingly slow and also several lines don't fit unless the rom is expanded (with all the extra work it entails, relocating pointers, etc) and this goes beyond my knowledge and beyond the extent of what I'm willing to do.
The first Jungle Wars isn't done yet. A person named Grungi contacted me in case I was interested in assisting with the translation (we managed translate a nice chunk of it this past spring but I haven't had any news from him for about a month or so. He must be busy with job or life matters, and I don't want to pester him.
About JW2, what I'm doing right now is playing another snes game called Idea no Hi, as I wanted to play it for so long. In this thread I explain it: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31399.0
My idea is playing a bunch of snes games I've wanted to play someday (JW2 included) which are not being translated or their translation projects are stalled and without any reports from their translators. And as I play them, I manually "dump" the dialogs on a text file and try to add to every line of dialog its corresponding English translation. That way I kill 2 birds in one stone. I manage to play them at last, and I offer to the scene the whole script dumped into a text file with an, (at least functional), translation. This could give the necessary push for some romhacker or translation group to finally make the step towards making them playable in English.
Sorry again for the long post. I try to be short but I simply can't