News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Favorite period for each genre?  (Read 3131 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Favorite period for each genre?
« on: July 23, 2020, 04:26:41 pm »
Pick your favorite era or timespan for each genre (can be any period of years such as 1985-1993 for example). I've divided the list into three parts to make things more manageable and to encourage reading other people's lists. I'll post part 2 in a few days, and part 3 a few days after that.

I tried to list some important games/series over the years for each one but my knowledge is sometimes limited.

Part 1:
2D Platformer (Action Platformer, Hop 'n Bop or Avoid the Enemies-style; Mega Man, Shinobi, Castlevania/Super Mario World, Sonic 2, Bonk/Super Meat Boy, Within a Deep Forest)
My 2d platformer pick: 1988-1997 (SMB3-MMX4, Klonoa and Oddworld 1)

Run 'n Gun (Top Down (Mercs, Pocky & Rocky) or Side View (Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug))
My run 'n gun pick: 1990-1998 (Mercs-Robotron 64)

First-person Shooter (FPS; Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Turok, Unreal, Half-Life)
My FPS pick: 1993-2004 (Doom - Half-Life 2)

Rail Shooter (Space Harrier, Star Fox, Panzer Dragoon)
My rail shooter pick: 1988-20?? (Galaxy Force 2-???)

Free-roaming Shooter or Looping Shooter (Defender, Choplifter, Fantasy Zone, Bosconian, Solar Jetman, Desert Strike, Bangai-O)
My free-roaming shooter pick: 1987-1999 (Fantasy Zone 2-Bangai-O)

2D Beat 'em up/Hack 'n Slash (Double Dragon, Crude Buster, River City Ransom, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Guardian Heroes, D&D (Capcom), Guacamelee)
My BEU/H&S pick: 1989-1997 (RCR-D&D: Shadow over Mystara)

Arena Fighting (Archon?, Bomberman (MP mode), Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu, The Outfoxies, Sugoi Hebereke, Virtual On, Poy Poy, Power Stone, Super Smash Bros., Sonic Battle?, Jump Super Stars)

Rhythm (Parappa the Rapper, Vib-Ribbon, Beatmania, Bust a Groove, Samba de Amigo, Elite Beat Agents)

Stealth (and Stealth-focused AA games; Saboteur, Metal Gear, Crack Down, Thief, Tenchu, MGS, Deus Ex, Hitman)

3D Action Adventure Games (System Shock, Mystical Ninja (N64), Mega Man Legends, Ocarina of Time, Medievil, Soul Reaver, Outcast, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Dark Souls)
My 3D AA pick: 1999-2006 (System Shock 2-Twilight Princess)

Sandbox/Open World AA (GTA, Shenmue, Driver?, Crazy Taxi, Yakuza, Spider-Man 2)

Text Adventure (Zork)

Visual Novel/Interactive Story (Snatcher, Policenauts, Steins;Gate)

Japanese-style RPG (Final Fantasy IV-X, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, Earthbound/Mother, Mario RPG, Suikoden, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Persona)
My JRPG pick: 1994-2000 (Lunar 2-Paper Mario/FF9)

3D ARPG (Ultima Underworld?, Strife, King's Field, Brave Fencer Musashi, System Shock 2, Phantasy Star Online, Deus Ex, Dark Cloud)
My 3D ARPG pick: 1996-2000 (Strife-PSO/Deus Ex)

Tactical or Strategy RPG (Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Langrisser, King's Bounty, Heroes of Might and Magic, Ogre Battle (part real-time), Jagged Alliance (part real-time), X-Com/UFO (part real-time), Sakura Wars, FF Tactics, Nintendo Wars/Advance Wars, )
My SRPG/TRPG pick: 1993-1999 (Shining Force 2-Heroes 3/Jagged Alliance 2)

Vehicle Simulation (2D: Thexder, Metal Storm, Assault Suits, Battletech (MD), Metal Warriors, Ranger X, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, 3D: Carrier Command, MechWarrior, Earthsiege, Descent?, Starsiege, SimCopter, Heavy Gear II)
My vehicle sim/mech sim picks:
2D: 1991-1996 (Metal Storm-FM: Gun Hazard), 3D: ?

4X Strategy (Explore, Expand, Exploit, and Exterminate; Civilization, Space Empires, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Imperialism, Age of Wonders, Alpha Centauri, Shogun: Total War (real-time battles), Disciples II: Dark Prophecy)

Real-time Tactics (RTT; Lemmings, Syndicate, Commandos, Team Buddies?, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (FPS), MechCommander, Dawn of War 2)

Turn-based Strategy (TBS; Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Military Madness, Warlords, Gemfire, Panzer General, XCOM 2)

Fictional Sports (Speedball 2, Windjammers - air hockey variation)

Action Puzzle or Puzzle Platformer (Boulder Dash, Knight Lore, Adventures of Lolo, Solomon's Key, Dizzy, Chip's Challenge, Catrap, Lemmings, Castle of Dr. Brain, Another World, Lost Vikings, Myst, Mole Mania, Abe's Oddyssee, Toki Tori, I.Q.: Intelligent Qube/Kurushi, Kula World, ChuChu Rocket, Mr. Driller?, World of Goo, Limbo)
My Action Puzzle pick: 1986-2013 (Solomon's Key (NES)-Toki Tori 2) or 1999 (ChuChu)

Art Game (incites an emotional feeling and/or presents a political message, doesn't necessarily have a win/lose state or a defined goal; Moondust, Loom, Another World, Bad Day on the Midway, The Dark Eye, Peter Gabriel: Eve, Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong Nou, LSD, Planescape: Torment?, Samorost, Ico, Mother 3, Flower, "Papers, Please", The Path, Spec Ops: The Line, Passage, Journey, Brothers, "That Dragon, Cancer", )
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:38:11 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Badseed

• View Profile
Re: Favorite period for each genre?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:19:18 am »
Never cared for all the genres, but I'll give you my 3 favorites:
RPGs - the "golden" age (mid to late 1980s) to the decline in the late 1990s. The exception being 2008, l played the hell outta Fallout 3.

Shooters-- same time period as above, except Halo of course. One of the main reasons to get an Xbox.

Metroidvania-- 1997-2006 all the metroid-castlevania games, starting with SotN and ending with Portrait of Ruin.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 11:47:22 am »
Trying to cram games into genres is a difficult process in itself.

I don't think there's any reason any particular time period can't produce games just as good as any older time period.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Cristal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 12:02:17 pm »
The 1987~1994 range was the sweet spot to most oldschool/traditional genres, imo. Not too archaic, not too modern. Just right.

By that point, 8bit games had fully matured (like how NES/Famicom games got complex mappers), and 16bit was at its prime (bigger roms were possible, PC Engine / Mega Drive got their CD addons, etc).

Can't say much about the 32bit era and beyond since I focus more into 8/16bit stuff.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 12:48:58 pm »
Pretty different responses across the forumsphere so far, interesting!

Can't say much about the 32bit era and beyond since I focus more into 8/16bit stuff.

Seems to be the case with a lot of people on here, and more specifically NES.

I'd agree that roughly the period you chose is a sweet spot for a lot of console-centric genres, and in 2D, though I'd extend it to 1996 or so.

When it comes to FPS and RTS for example, they took longer to blossom but had a similarly long sweet spot period, before transforming into something different and only more recently returning to their roots with Doom 2016 for example (not sure about RTS here, SC2 is still fairly popular and only tweaked some things compared to SC1).

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 01:35:09 pm »
FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS

1998-2000: might be the Golden Age of the genre. Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, No One Lives Forever, Quake III and many others are still remembered today.   

2003-2005: I was pleased to experience a revival in the genre with games like Doom 3, Halo 1 (2003 on PC), Far Cry 1, Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R., Quake IV,etc.

DEUS EX

In the above list I noticed you inserted Deus Ex in two different sections: Stealth and 3D ARPG.

Deus Ex is a first-person shooter with RPG elements (also Stealth ; but steath it is optional in Deus Ex). A more fitting  term for games like Deus Ex might be:

FPS/RPG Hybrids

Other games that fit in the same category are: System Shock 2, Bioshock series, Tron 2.0, Vampire Bloodlines, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Dishonored,…

note: you did the same multi-classing for Lemmings. I think putting games in only one category, if possible, might be easier to manage.   

SNATCHER

In the Visual Novel/Interactive Story section, you listed Snatcher - which is praisworthy ^^ - but I don’t see Policenauts which is bewildering. Indeed both games have much in common:

both are visual novels / were created by the same author, Hideo Kojima / are Cyberpunk / have a gripping story / have high-quality voice acting / generally left a lasting impression on gamers who played them.

It’s quite striking how much progress has been achieved between Snatcher (1988) and Policenauts (1994). For instance the user interface is much more friendly, the story is deeper, and the pacing is better too. (I love both games, OK ? ^^)

Anyways. My point? Making an in-depth comparison between Snatcher and Policenauts might be insightful. ^^

-2D BEAT 'EM UP/HACK 'N SLASH:

Games sorted in the "Hack'n'Slash" genre include the Diablo series, Torchlight series, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, etc. Thing is: I don’t see a single Hack 'n Slash in your list. ; ) Granted the meaning of the term Hack 'n Slash can be discussed. It’s just that if you plan to review a genuine Hack'n'Slash game then they would deserve their own category.

Guacamelee in neither a "Hack 'n Slash" nor a mere "2D Beat 'em up": most reviewers and gamers sorted it in the Metroidvania genre. Granted Guacamelee added a "Beat’em up angle" to it, which made rise above others Metroidvanias of the era.

GRIS

In the Art Game Section I would add GRIS: a very unusual and modern artie-platformer (2018): Gris Review (Youtube)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:47:12 pm by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 04:26:33 pm »
So I haven't actually played Deus Ex yet but it seems to lean pretty heavily on the RPG side, which itself tends to include stealth elements, but I wasn't sure how much of the latter it actually had. New categories are fine though! Personally I don't think an RPG turns into an FPS just because it has shooting/is modern day and as a result has guns instead of say bows and spells, but if it is a non-party based game with real-time combat then I'd probably call it an ARPG. So yeah you can add FPS to those and it's not wrong but it's not needed either.

Regarding visual novels, I don't really have an interest in them so I didn't think of Policenauts. I'm not gonna be adding examples to genres where there already are a handful of them listed but it's good that you mention them for genres that I don't know much about.

Guacamelee is definitely a Beat 'em up hybrid, I would say it's more of a platformer/BEU hybrid than a "proper" MV as it is very linear, sequence breaking is unintentional and the ability gating tends to be done with just colored breakable blocks. It also has a bunch of rooms where you have to kill all the enemies, so it plays like old beat 'em ups in that way. But it fits into all three categories.

Hack 'n Slash can mean diablo-style ARPG or games like Bayonetta. So the retro 2D version of that would be something like Golden Axe I think (and google agrees if you search for "retro hack 'n slash", hehe).

I realized now that it would also be interesting to hear what everyone started with for each genre, to see if that correlates with their now fave period or not. Completely optional though.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:40:08 pm by PresidentLeever »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 04:27:15 am »
Never cared for all the genres, but I'll give you my 3 favorites:
RPGs - the "golden" age (mid to late 1980s) to the decline in the late 1990s. The exception being 2008, l played the hell outta Fallout 3.
Er.... The Golden Age for RPGs is very clearly the 1990s. In the 1980s and even very early 1990s they were just about grinding, gridning, grinding, no storyline whatsoever. If that's what you like fine, but I don't think that's what is canonically called the "golden age".
Also I would say the decline was in the early 2000s. There's still pleny of new great RPGs in the early 2000s such as Golden Sun.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 09:03:54 am »
I gave the golden age a little leeway, most ppl I've talked to consider it the late 80s to only mid 90s. I think it's a little more open to interpretation, however I think many people feel that way because that's when and where the roots of all the great RPGs began. After all there WAS life before FF7  :P
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 12:03:02 pm »
Generally the point at which genre broke down as any kind of sensible concept and before everything had to be story free open world, multiplayer and microtransactions/pay to win.

RPG elements, roguelike elements, the engine of a game being reasonably able to do a flight/space sim section, maybe had some nice physics to play with, afforded some user choice in approach and there were such a thing as mid tier devs that did all the interesting stuff.

I gave the golden age a little leeway, most ppl I've talked to consider it the late 80s to only mid 90s. I think it's a little more open to interpretation, however I think many people feel that way because that's when and where the roots of all the great RPGs began. After all there WAS life before FF7  :P
For the purposes of this I will go with FF7 though 9 were actually not clones of 2-6 and represented a shift there in some ways. However if I do play the things that did want to be FF2 through 6 but from the Saturn, PS1 and the like then good stuff happens. Everybody was mostly too busy looking at the 30 polygon budget most systems had for 3d so a lot of them went under the radar somewhat.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 12:56:55 pm »
HA!! Fast6191 it's getting harder and harder to remember what games were like before microtransactions. DAMN YOU LOOTBOXES!!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!  >:D

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 01:25:25 pm »
Yeah I hear ya Fast6191.

Feeling weirdly proud about never having made a micro transaction now. :woot!:

July 25, 2020, 06:13:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alright folks, have another batch of genres to discuss:

3D Platformer (Jumping Flash, Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Dark Forces II, Spider-Man 1-2 (PS1), Crash, Banjo 1-2, Spyro, Sonic Adventure, Mario Sunshine, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank)

Maze Shooter or Maze Action (Robotron, Gauntlet, Alien Syndrome, Smash TV, Chaos Engine, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Goof Troop, Crusader: No Remorse)

MP FPS (Quake 1-3, Starsiege: Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress)

Light Gun Shooter (T2: The Arcade Game, Virtua Cop, House of the Dead)

Bullet Hell or Danmaku-style Shoot 'em up (Batsugun, Donpachi)

3D Beat 'em up/Hack 'n Slash (God Hand, Devil May Cry, God of War, Bayonetta)

Vehicle Combat (Gravity Force, Return Fire, DeathDrome, Twisted Metal, Car Battler Joe) & Racing (Road Rash, Mario Kart, Rock 'n Roll Racing, Carmageddon)

Misc. Action (Bomberman, Crazy Climber, Aztec Challenge, Megumi Rescue/Flying Hero, etc.)

Interactive movie/FMV (Dragon's Lair, Triad Stone)

2D Metroidvania/Platform Adventure (Metroid, Goonies 2, Blaster Master, Exile, Gargoyle's Quest, CV: Symphony of the Night, Tomba, Monster Boy, Guacamelee, Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight)

Survival Horror (Project Firestart, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, System Shock, Silent Hill, Dead Space)

Graphic Adventure (Deja Vu, Myst)

3D Adventure (The Walking Dead, Firewatch)

First-person party-based RPG or Dungeon Crawler RPG (Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Might & Magic, Shining the Holy Ark)

MMORPG (Ultima Online, Tibia, Everquest, World of Warcraft, FFXI, Runescape, MapleStory)

Construction and Management Simulation (Nobunaga's Ambition?, SimCity, Theme Park, Caesar III, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper, Dwarf Fortress)

Space Exploration Sim or Space Combat Sim (Elite, Wing Commander, SW: Tie Fighter, Descent: Freespace, Colony Wars, Elite: Dangerous)

Artillery (Scorched Earth, Worms, Gunbound, Angry Birds)

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA, Action/RPG/RTS hybrid; Defense of the Ancients/DotA, League of Legends, AirMech)

Sports Games (Ice Hockey, Super Dodge Ball, Super Tennis, NHL '94-'97, NBA Jam, ATP Tour Championship Tennis, Super Fire ProWrestling X Premium, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, NBA Live 98, FIFA: Road to World Cup 98, Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run, Captain Tsubasa 3 (RPG Hybrid), Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Virtua Tennis, Mario Tennis)

Sports-based Fighting (Punch-Out!, Budokan, Best Bout Boxing, Ready 2 Rumble)

Matching Puzzle (Tetris, Columns, Klax, Dr. Mario, Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Bobble, Tetris Attack, Baku Baku Animal, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo)

Educational Game/Edutainment (Oregon Trail, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, Treasure Mountain!, EcoQuest, Logical Journey of the Zoombinis, Typing of the Dead, Big Brain Academy)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:28:40 pm by PresidentLeever »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 10:00:37 pm »
Yeah I hear ya Fast6191.

Feeling weirdly proud about never having made a micro transaction now. :woot!:
Never paid for online play on a console nor run up a phone bill during dial up either? Never chucked another coin in an arcade machine because you will get it this time?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 05:34:06 am »
No, no (internet bill isn't the same thing tbh) and not with my own money.

---

My maze action pick: 1990-1993 (Smash TV-Goof Troop)

My MP FPS pick: 1997-2001 (Quake 2-Tribes 2)

My misc. Action pick: 1989-1996 (Mendel Palace-Saturn Bomberman)

My 2D Platform Adventure/MV picks: 1989-2002 (WB3-Metroid Fusion) and 2013-2018 (Guacamelee-Monster Boy)

My sports pick: 1990-1995 (Slap Shot (SMS)-ISS DX and NHL '96)

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 10:24:10 am »
Survival horror pick: Resident Evil 1996(PSX) and Sweet Home 1989(NES). Where it all started

Sports pick: Mike Tysons Punch Out 1987(NES), EAs NHL series 1991-now (various platforms) and One on One:Dr. J vs Bird 1983(Apple IIc)

Maze action: Berzerk 1980(arcade) and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain 1982(Intellivision)

FPS pick: Half-Life series 1991-now (PC and PS2) don't laugh but Blue Shift was my favorite

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 10:35:57 am »
Let's finish this up with the third and final part:
Collectathon Platformer (2D: Flicky, Jumpman, Jet Set Willy, Ruff 'n Tumble, Rayman; 3D: Mario 64, Banjo 1-2, Ape Escape)

Third-person Shooter (TPS; Xybots?, Tomb Raider, Mega Man Legends, Dark Forces II, MDK, Armored Core, Burning Rangers, Max Payne, RE 4, Dead Space, Vanquish)

Shoot 'em up/Auto-Scrolling Shooter (Horizontal: R-Type, Gradius, Thunder Force, Darius, UN Squadron, Lords of Thunder; Vertical: 1943, Aleste, Twinbee, Soldier Blade, Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun)

Gallery Shooter or Cabal Shooter (Wild Guns)

Trapping/Trap 'em up (Lode Runner, Boulder Dash, Spy vs. Spy, Tecmo's Deception)

Fighting (2D: IK+, Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, 3D: Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur)

Online Arena Combat/Non-RTS MOBA (Teeworlds, Superfighters Deluxe, Awesomenauts)

Roguelite/Real-time Roguelike (Toejam & Earl, Diablo?, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy)

2D Action Adventure Games (Legend of Zelda, Starflight, Pirates!, Bionic Commando, Solstice, Quackshot, Star Control II, Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Little Big Adventure, Legacy of Kain, Alundra, Bastion, Hyper Light Drifter)

3D Metroidvania/Platform Adventure (System Shock, Exhumed/Powerslave, The Divide, Banjo-Tooie, Spyro 2, Metroid Prime, Batman: Arkham Asylum?)

Survival (UnReal World (rogue-like), SOS/Septentrion, Deus, Minecraft, Terraria, Don't Starve)

Quest Adventure (King's Quest, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Wonder Project J, Grim Fandango, Machinarium)

Western-style RPG (generally feature an open-ended structure, interactive dialogue and character creation; Ultima IV-VII, Wasteland, Shadowrun (MD)?, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Elder Scrolls, Star Wars: KotoR)

2D Action RPG (ARPG; Ys, Zelda II, Quest for Glory, Crystalis, Seiken Densetsu/of Mana, Soul Blazer, Shadowrun (SNES & MD), Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma, Diablo, Star Ocean)

Roguelike (Rogue, NetHack, Angband, UnReal World, Shiren the Wanderer, Dwarf Fortress, FTL)

Life Simulation and Virtual pet games (Harvest Moon, Tamagotchi, The Sims, Nintendogs)

Racing Sim (Formula One Grand Prix, Gran Turismo)

Real-time Strategy (RTS; Herzog Zwei, Dune 2, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Dragon Force, Lords of the Realm II, Myth, Dungeon Keeper, Age of Empires, Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Homeworld, Shogun: Total War (4x), WH40K: Dawn of War)

Tower Defense (Rampart, Starcraft & Warcraft 3 custom maps, Desktop Tower Defense, Lock's Quest, Plants vs. Zombies)

Racing (Outrun, RC Pro-Am, Stunt Car Racer, Power Drift, S.T.U.N. Runner, Micro Machines, Mario Kart, Top Gear 2, Rock 'n Roll Racing, Daytona USA, Ridge Racer, Sega Rally, Crash Team Racing, Need for Speed 2-3, Motocross Madness, Wave Race 64, R4, Crazy Taxi, Hydro Thunder)

Puzzle Games (Other)(Minesweeper, The Incredible Machine, Bill's Tomato Game, Cut the Rope)

Logic game (Mario's Picross, Brain Age, )

Party game or Mini-game Compilation (Puzzle & Action, Mario Party, Game & Watch Gallery, Wario Ware)

---

My SEU picks: 1988-1997 (Thunder Force II and Gradius II (NES)-G Darius) and 1988-1998 (Gun.Smoke (NES)-Radiant Silvergun)

My 2D AA pick: 1990-1997 (Gargoyle's Quest and Metal Gear 2-Alundra)

My 3D MV pick: 1994-2002 (System Shock-Metroid Prime)

My Quest Adv pick: 1990-1998 (Loom-Grim Fandango) and the fan remake of King's Quest 3

My WRPG pick: 1997-2001 (Fallout-BG2: ToB)

My 2D ARPG pick: 1990-1996 (Crystalis-Diablo)

My RTS pick: 1995-2010 (Warcraft 2-Starcraft 2)

My Racing picks: Early 1990s (Micro Machines and R'nR Racing) and All-Stars Racing Transformed (2012)

Edit: Removed VVVVVV from 2D AA. I guess it's more of a sandbox/precision platformer hybrid.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:15:56 pm by PresidentLeever »

RickkyJaden

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 08:49:15 am »
MMO games from 2006 till 2011~
Shooters 2008-2016
MOBA games 2012-2016
Racing games 2006-2011

These are my favorite genres, especially MMO in 2010 year.. That was wonderful  :-[
Riccky, 20y.All I love in my life is a hockey,basketball and music creating. Learning in Linguistic School. Recently I have finished 3rd academic year, I like this one by the way, I didn`t thought that learning will give me pleasure.
https://superstarsguide.com/