News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dr. Mario DX  (Read 18765 times)

marc_max

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Mario DX
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2020, 01:23:17 pm »
Yeah !
Downloaded and installed, I hope I'll have time to test it with my gf this weekend, we're leaving for a while on monday.
Otherwise, I'll tell you if I find anything when I get back.
I found the "ending" for levl:10 on High speed to have some palettes trouble and the music didn't loop correctly, but that was with alpah3.
I'll check if it still happens with alpha 4 and send you pics as soon as I have time.

Thanks for the time you took it looks really great !
Thanks for your message :-D

Please, download the new version I just uploaded (Beta 1). I've solved all important issues.

I'm aware of the music loop bug, it's due to the timer interrupt which is constantly doing unneeded things. This game was coded very poorly. But I do not consider it anything important. The palettes for all endings are fixed now.

alien nose job

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2020, 07:46:06 pm »
Hey I just saw your message, too bad I haven't seen it earlier, I just spent some time play testing the alpha 4 version in 2P and took screenshots for you ;)

I'll try the beta 1 when I come back and let you know if I find anything else.

Just in case, on the alpha 4, I found this ;
- there are different black colors, a full black and a lighter black, on the 2P win/loose screens
- when the music speeds up, Mario moves his hand in the back and it turns yellow. I also think there are a couple pixels that probably shouldn't be here on this sprite between his hip and yellow hand.

I also don't think the music issue is important, I just wanted to inform you :)
Thanks again, it's great !

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2020, 07:43:36 am »
- there are different black colors, a full black and a lighter black, on the 2P win/loose screens
That was intended. I thought it would look better if the message box had a slightly different black.
- when the music speeds up, Mario moves his hand in the back and it turns yellow. I also think there are a couple pixels that probably shouldn't be here on this sprite between his hip and yellow hand.
That might be probably fixed in beta 1, as I messed up a few tiles of Dr. Mario's hands in alpha 4. But please, test it again with the beta.

So... Looks like multiplayer is totally functional, thank you for testing :-D May I ask... are you playing in real hardware with both hacks? Also, I'd like to know if the hack and the vanilla B/W can be linked too. It works correctly in emulator, but I'm curious if real hw can link the different games.

alien nose job

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2020, 04:58:12 am »
I will test it again, actually I played a bit, but had no time to check things closer.
I play on emulator, I own only one GB with no means of playing a rom.
I'll post when I come back. It all looks really good.
The different blacks are interesting but, in  my opinion, it looks a bit weird as for the looser and the winner, the light black squares are not on the same level.
I would either use one or the other, but for the full bottle maybe.
The ending looks nice too ! (I'll check the lvl 5 one as well, but the lvl 20 is out of my league).
cheers

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2020, 05:52:30 am »
Managed to fix the timer issues with the ending at last!

This means, there isn't any more work to do here. I'll submit the final version later today.

Stories8106

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2020, 01:02:27 pm »
Did the title screen ever get updated?

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2020, 02:44:47 pm »
Submitted the final version at last.
It also includes a little surprise that I always wanted to add to the hack ;-)

Did the title screen ever get updated?
No, what's wrong with it?

Stories8106

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2020, 12:34:51 pm »
No, what's wrong with it?

Was in black and white, wasn't colorized yet.

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2020, 01:15:07 pm »
Was in black and white, wasn't colorized yet.

Can't remember if there was really a patch version that didn't colorize the title screen, but I'm pretty sure the latest one uploaded back on october (alpha 4) already did it.

binarck

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2020, 03:58:33 pm »
Tried your hack some bit and it looks nice so far, want to play more later!

Source code was actually far more interesting to me; never seen how a colorizer is done from scratch and your notes lays out everything in a thoughtful approach. Want to read more carefully but great job! Now I kinda get how to use rgbds for once. :)

Stories8106

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2020, 05:47:26 pm »
Looks great!

What was the hack you added?

Homer177

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2020, 04:39:12 pm »
Really good stuff. I did a 3DS rom injection and can confirm it works. Can you tell me which tools you used? I'd like to try my hand at colorizing GB games myself but I don't wanna go in blind like I have for Donkey Kong Country 2 for the GBA.

Stories8106

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2020, 03:30:07 pm »
Really good stuff. I did a 3DS rom injection and can confirm it works. Can you tell me which tools you used? I'd like to try my hand at colorizing GB games myself but I don't wanna go in blind like I have for Donkey Kong Country 2 for the GBA.

So... I'm interested in this as well.  I've been doing some research for months, but I have yet to hit it hard.  I can tell you that you'll to learn to modify the actual code of the game.

The best resource I've found to learn how to do that is https://gbdev.io/list.html#introduction

As far as what tools... no clue lol

I am going to sit down at some point (maybe this fall? maybe next year early?) and make a YouTube video chronicling my journey through figuring it out.  When I do this I'll make sure to post them in the ROMHacking forums.

PurpleFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:47 pm »
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks and great job on the color hack! Works well for me!! :)

alien nose job

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2020, 06:23:41 am »
Beautiful.
Didn't notice anything wrong when playing yesterday !
Thanks and bravo  :thumbsup:

Jonas.F

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2020, 07:20:13 pm »
Thank you so much for including the source code in your release! :thumbsup: I've been thinking about doing a Game Boy colorization project myself for some time now and that was exactly what I needed to see how it's done. :)