News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DKC Mania 1 +2  (Read 3304 times)

hankhill89

• View Profile
DKC Mania 1 +2
« on: February 08, 2020, 08:46:20 pm »
Hi I just finished my first complete hack I call DKC Mania I kinda based it off the game Sonic Mania in
how it mixes some old with some new in this case the old might have came from something on the portable side.     
The game also has the game has all levels finished also included also is a beta version of Mania 2 it's
about 40 percent done and is playable up to the end of Krazy Kremland.  Oh and you will need a US 1.0
headerless ROM and Beat or Floating IPS to patch the game.
I hope you guys enjoy these hacks and please feel free to provide some helpful feedback if you can

Downloads and pictures-

DKC Mania updated to 1.1

https://mega.nz/#!GdMGSYZA!Dq5zQ2oqkh3_y32vg3mj7Fk0qw1O-pFdfpZX66_kSok

DKC mania 2 beta

https://mega.nz/#!OZdS1STK!qGf1xOOf_XOFZGJBXdqYqB4IK0bNJ9wkpDN5blBtG8E

Edit: Updated link for DKC Mania to 1.1 and got rid of duplicate pictures.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:05:30 pm by hankhill89 »

rainbwsprinklez

• Anything is possible :)
    • View Profile
Re: DKC Mania 1 +2
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:55:51 am »
DKC1 Mania is great! My only complaint is in the final level... those Gnawty Wheels don't render. Also, was the aquatic enemies necessary?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:00:43 am by rainbwsprinklez »
Anything is possible :)

hankhill89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:59:31 pm »
Yeah I always felt the last level was not my A game going into it. Honestly when it came to what I wanted to do was to make the level work like Animal antics did in DKC 2 broken into segments where the aquatic baddies would be in a water area, but well my knowledge of any advanced hacking for this game is more limited still doesn't hurt to learn more if I can. I also would love to add Ice physics to one of the levels as well.

limefiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 07:55:24 pm »
I really enjoyed DKC Mania. I had very few complaints overall and only really want more! I think the game scaled really well (maybe a touch slow) and I actually really enjoyed the last level a lot. I would love to see more levels made by you! The only level I didn't like too well was 5-1; I liked some of the ideas you presented in the level but I don't feel as though it stuck to any one of them really well. I think this romhack has tons of potential if you decided to put extra time into it, but it also is really enjoyable as is. Possibly speedrun worthy?

Well done hankhill89, looking forward to progress on DKCM2.

hankhill89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 10:52:07 pm »
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. May I ask what spot in 5-1 was bothersome the most to you I would love to see if I can make it a little better next update at least speaking of updates me and Rainbowsprinklez have big plans for the next update for the 1st game including, but not limited to new palettes.

limefiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 03:54:09 am »
Ok first thing I want to say is that I really enjoy that you have a barrel blast level in each world. I am totally on board for that approach. However I felt Factory was not as good for a few reasons.
http://imgbox.com/eIMWCv4T
I didn't feel as though the Mini Necky's fit in this level, especially as they are never seen again. I would rather have more barrels/platforming/Krusha's (in that order) rather than Necky's in general. I liked the jumping Kremlings leading into this though.
http://imgbox.com/efqjK68q
This is my least favorite part of the level. I don't like getting shot from a barrel into an invisible snake (just before this picture) and the strangeness of snake behavior in this whole section in general is frustrating. The barrel above the snake spawn feels a bit silly but its also easy to lose input on top of the snake spawn and run off the ledge. Again I would rather see more use of barrels (barrels into tires and fire pit platforming is cool imo). There is a section of barrel blasts that follow this that includes a rotating barrel moving along the y-axis you are suggested to shoot NE out of that I really liked. Just past that is adult Necky that spawns sorta funky sometimes and again feels a bit out of place in the level imo.
http://imgbox.com/nrhIv10F
I don't like this entire platforming section, but this dip down with a random Krusha sticks out like a sore thumb especially. This platforming section is barren and boring, and a rather long stretch of it considering this. Snakes are fine here but the rest is meh.
http://imgbox.com/IxPqmMRa
The barrel section following includes this barrel-bee sort of limbo that I didn't enjoy at all. The correct timing doesn't feel intuitive at all and its further complicated by the fact that if you miss the correct timing there is almost no window open for you for ages following the miss.

Overall I sort of just wanted more barrels going in weird directions with a bit more fire and tire and less open space platforming. I wouldn't mind seeing Krusha (or Mega Krusha) however.

EDIT: I don't know how to format pictures, added url links.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:28:06 pm by limefiasco »

dna423

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:17 pm »
Hello just finished your hack and just wanted to say I really enjoyed it! Most dkc hacks out there are really kaizo but this one I managed to beat in rougly 1h40 and had a great time.
One bit of feedback is regarding 6-1, expresso is really overpowered and you can take the first one straight to the end of the level without much trouble, might be worth putting some minceres a bit above the screen so you can't just jump over them.
I did really like the last level, loved the idea of a credits-esque level that has every enemy in it :)
Looking forward to trying your dkc2 hack once it's finished.

hankhill89

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 04:19:17 pm »
@Limefiasco Thanks for the feedback. I'm already working on the issues you pointed out big thanks for the detailed list you gave.  @Dna423 Should be an easy fix will patch in next update. I also have new palettes to show off thanks to RainbowSprinklez these will in, fact be new alternate colors alongside the original colors.

I have more, but I'm keeping those a secret until release.

rainbwsprinklez

• Anything is possible :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 09:05:15 am »
^ Image 2 looks like DKC2!

Are you still alive buddy? I am, and intend to get back to work on your hack real soon. im just focusing on school.

Hope you are safe.
Anything is possible :)

limefiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 02:27:03 pm »
Oh man I am absolutely STOKED to replay this hack after today's update! I am so glad you and Rainbow put more work into this! Way to go guys, I am really excited!

EDIT: Finished the game but playing through it several more times to do a proper playtest. I will have something to say very soon! (I really liked it!)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:11:51 pm by limefiasco »

hankhill89

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 02:02:29 pm »
Glad to hear it.  I was going to post that that hack is posted on the front page of this website, but I think it should be a given by now anyway also I got a updated beta of DKC mania 2 if anyone wants to try it out.  It goes up to K.Rool's keep be warned you may want a 100 percent save for this levels in places are broken for now.  :-\

https://mega.nz/file/GQtHySJC#KRKeaJZQ2_yDSOEpmZaZYR8US2fYTwmeEnYbMVx_9Co

barkboi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 09:14:54 am »
OK so I went through a few DKC hacks and this one is BY FAR the best and has so much thought put into it. Really amazing level design it FEELS like a DKC game. My ONLY complaint is the infinite lives and play until you win mods. I LOVE dying and Two Player Contest doesn't really work if you can't die. Is there an easy way to make a mod where lives and dying are normal? Again, INCREDIBLE work my friend. Any response is appreciated!