News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hello everyone! Looking for help ripping assets from MK Super Circuit  (Read 322 times)

Garlic

• View Profile
While I might not create ROM hacks, per se, I love retro games and try to port them to different platforms such as Minecraft. The other day I wrote a script that converts the raw map data of F-Zero (SNES) into a Minecraft program that will build the track automatically and I am working to modify it to handle other games. Current priorities are Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Super Circuit, although any mode-7 racing game could be ported. In order to convert a course the easiest, I need the tileset it uses and the raw map data of the course (For F-Zero or SMK, each byte represents the tile with that value in the tileset). While I can get these for SMK, MKSC is a bit... poorly documented and barely hacked.

I can get full top-down level maps of MK:SC, but I am unable to find any rips of the tilesets used in each track or of the raw map data I need to reconstruct them. Since there is no level editor for Super Circuit as there is for Super Mario Kart to dump them from and I had a hard time spotting tilesets in a tilemolestor dump of the ROM, I now turn to you, the romhacking community, to see if you can help me track down this data.

Thank you!
Garlic

FAST6191

• View Profile
GBA Mario Kart never really interested me and as such I have very little enthusiasm for hacking.

Still plenty of the levels got remade in other games
http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Mario_Kart:_Super_Circuit

"had a hard time spotting tilesets in a tilemolestor dump of the ROM"
Why not rip them from an emulator if you only want them for porting out purposes?

Garlic

• View Profile
"had a hard time spotting tilesets in a tilemolestor dump of the ROM"
Why not rip them from an emulator if you only want them for porting out purposes?

I currently work on a mac. The main version of VisualBoyAdvance for mac was deprecated (PowerPC based) and doesn't work on modern macs like mine. I went digging long enough to find a continuation of the project that worked on the mac, but it won't let me use the 1-6 keys because of built-in shortcuts for some reason. I was able to rip them from VBA on a friend's windows machine late last night. I'm currently determining exactly what positions in VRAM represent map data.