News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What to play next? (retro AA & ARPG edition)  (Read 705 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
What to play next? (retro AA & ARPG edition)
« on: July 13, 2020, 06:21:19 am »
I want to brush up on my knowledge of the late 80s-early 90s games in these genres. Will be playing some of these after I finish Within a Deep Forest and that Toejam & Earl remake probably.

Which do you like best and which seem like the more important/relevant ones to play today?

D/Generation (AMI/PC, 1991)
Esper Dream (FDS, 1987)(fan translated)
Starflight (PC (1986/MD, 1991 (Remake)) - MD
Paradroid 90 (AMI, 1990/AST)(Remake)
Xak: The Art of Visual Stage (PC-88/PC-98/MSX, 1989/PCE CD, 1992)(fan translated on MSX) - SNES?
Radia Senki: Reimeihen (NES, 1991)
Dungeon Explorer II (PCE CD, 1993)
Little Big Adventure/Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure (PC, 1994/PS1, 1997/iOS, 2014) - steam remaster?
Mystic Towers (PC, 1994)
Dungeon Explorer (MCD ver., 1994)

Moonstone (AMI/PC, 1991)?
Esper Dream 2 (NES, 1992)
Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (PC, 1992/3DO, 1994)
Eggerland Mystery 2 (MSX, 1986)
Willow (NES, 1989)? - Started playing but got bored last time
Shiryou Sensen: War of the Dead Part 2 (MSX, 1988/PC-88, 1989)?
Cowboy Kid (NES, 1991)
Xak II: Rising of the Redmoon (MSX, 1990/PCE CD, 1992)
The Lone Ranger (NES, 1991)
Little Ninja Brothers (NES, 1989)?

The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)
Al-Qadim/Al Qadim: The Genie's Curse (PC, 1994)
Xak III: The Eternal Recurrence (PC-98/FMT, 1993/PCE CD, 1994)
StarTropics (NES, 1990)? - w/ hack? Made it about halfway before
Jajamaru Gekimaden: Maboroshi no Kinmajou (NES, 1990)(fan translated)
Ninja Taro/Sengoku Ninja-Kun (GB, 1991)?
Xak: The Tower of Gazzel/"Xak 2.5" (MSX/PC-88/PC-98, 1991)
Super Ninja Boy/Super Chinese World (SNES, 1991)?
Super Chinese World 2: Uchuu Ichibuto Daikai (SNES, 1993)
Heimdall 2 (PCs, 1994)?

There's some more but that seemed like a good place to cut off.

Oh and if you want to link to your review of a game go ahead.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:13:04 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Badseed

• View Profile
Re: What to play next? (retro AA & ARPG edition)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:34:22 am »
If I had to pick one from your list, it would definitely be Willow for the NES. Not the but best RPG by far but there is a big nostalgia factor there for me. I've always loved rgps and I loved the movie so the game seemed like a great fit. Like I said earlier not the best but I remember putting many hours into it to finally finish it when I was a little kid.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 01:36:00 pm »
LBA and Al-Quadim are pretty good. D/Generation is interesting too.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 01:37:00 pm »
Yeah I did like how Willow looked and sounded, and I guess it controlled fine but got bored with the simple dungeons and dead space. Didn't know it had a use-based leveling system for weapons though. Well I'll try all of them eventually.

thr, have you played the new release of LBA on Steam? I had some issues with the controls in the original version.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 03:11:17 pm »
the 'enhanced edition' of LBA 1 comes with controller support and a less awkward control scheme, so i guess you should be good here.
but LBA 2 doesn't have an enhanced edition, so it's keyboard-only and comes with the original controls. joytokey should help with controller support. the control scheme takes a bit to get used to, but i think it's slightly improved from the original LBA 1. the second part is the better one, so i'd recommend you go for it anyway, if you like the first one.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:49:09 pm »
My pick would be The Ur-Quan Masters.  You'll probably want to try to track down the freeware HD version, or at least one of its open-source predecessors, rather than going for the original PC version.

I've been intrigued by D/Generation for a long time.  There's an HD version on Steam these days, but it seems a lot of people think it lacks the charm of the original.

Paradroid sounds really neat as well, though it's hard to select from all the different remakes and derivatives.

Mystic Towers looks like an exercise in pain and frustration.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 05:10:47 pm »
I'll probably try Star Control 2 first, it was recommended elsewhere too and I like that style of ship combat as well as interactive dialogue so it seems like a good fit. Or Xak 1, since it's like Ys and I like the music.

Thanks for the replies so far!

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 06:23:23 pm »
if you guys are into SC, definitely look at Space Rangers too. the original is from 2002, so doesn't exactly fit into the '90s category, but close enough. and it's just so good that i simply had to chime in to mention it as well. there's a HD remake available, so it's probably the version to aim for.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 07:11:16 pm »
Apparently I own that one on GOG already. Noice.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:33:26 pm »
I don't see in the list but, have you played "Another Treasure Island" yet? It's a snes adventure game which is really good. It was translated to English.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 07:36:14 pm »
Marvelous right? It's definitely on my TP list for later, it looks really cool. Just focusing on the late 80s-early 90s period for now.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 06:59:45 pm »
It's nothing special but I'd recommend Rolans Curse 2, it's a neat little ARPG for the gameboy, the actual rpg elements are lite and the game is fairly linear but it's a fun time, it was made by Sammy who were more known for shmups iirc, but it seems like they took a weird little detour where they put out a few of these before before going back to business as usual.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 07:21:16 pm »
That's one I've played but yeah, solid game for the GB with nice sprites and some nice music as well.

I'm currently going through Xak 1 on SNES, will probably finish it tomorrow. It's not a bad update to the MSX game, but they could've done a bit more to update it for the 16-bit gen. PCE CD version also seems good, but you don't wanna play this untranslated due to important dialogue choices where you can die or prematurely end the game if you say the wrong thing and repeated fetch quests.