News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Modern Entertainment Saturation by way of Video Gaming  (Read 1765 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Modern Entertainment Saturation by way of Video Gaming
« on: December 08, 2020, 11:38:21 am »
So, we are at a point in history where there is now more recorded material and interactive software than any human being could possibly watch in their own lifetime. It's also readily available, and this has, I think, affected how we've played the games that are available in various ways. Among my observations based on personal taste, I felt like:

1. PC Ports of older console games seem a lot more common to me, now. I might hazard a guess that the porting process is now largely a lot more automated than it may have been back in the day.

2. The availability of previously Japan-Only games in English seems to have increased a lot. I'm not saying that it's only because of RHDN, but... Anyway, seriously, I feel there have been a lot of translations of games previously only in Japanese to English in the years since.

3. Is it just me, or does it feel like having so many options available at one time degrades the enjoyment of the individual games themselves? It now takes a lot longer to think of what I might or might not want to play, and it is not as enjoyable as it used to be, when I do (notwithstanding that this is likely due to my advancing age as much as anything, but it's also because I am not as good at them as I used to be either). Additionally, I am far more likely to feel like quitting one game to play another instead.

So my question to you is, how does the current state of the video gaming landscape affect your gaming habits and how you perceive gaming? What are the differences? What's better? What's not as good as it could be or was? Do you have a favorite dog of Jenka's*? What do you think will be the face of gaming in the times coming and indeed now already here?

*Mine is Hajime.
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Entertainment Saturation by way of Video Gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 12:11:20 pm »
3. Is it just me, or does it feel like having so many options available at one time degrades the enjoyment of the individual games themselves? It now takes a lot longer to think of what I might or might not want to play, and it is not as enjoyable as it used to be, when I do (notwithstanding that this is likely due to my advancing age as much as anything, but it's also because I am not as good at them as I used to be either). Additionally, I am far more likely to feel like quitting one game to play another instead.
The Paradox of Choice (featuring the True Secret to Happiness)

I might ponder whether there's some sort of cognitive limit on the number of times you can dump 100+ hours into different games.  Can you remember the first time you played a game that much? Could you pick up that game again and play it about as well as you did when you stopped? Might there be a finite capacity for the amount of such knowledge you can retain?

1. PC Ports of older console games seem a lot more common to me, now. I might hazard a guess that the porting process is now largely a lot more automated than it may have been back in the day.
I will say I find the enthusiasm for new Super Mario 64 ports to be quite baffling considering it's still the same darn game with the same 15 levels that people have already been playing for twenty years.  I'd much rather have the original engine with 15 new levels having the same degree of polish and imagination that the originals had.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 12:16:18 pm »
Yeah but Jorpho, which of Jenkas dogs is your favorite tho

:D I have severe seasonally related neck trauma keeping me on my back right now. I'm sorry I'm just bored ok
Yamero~~!

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 12:51:17 pm »
I've found that I just don't have any interest in most modern games these days. I check the eShop and PSN a lot and it all feels like rehashes of existing games or remasters / remakes. Might be partially down to COVID making it harder to ship new games. I'm really lacking something new that isn't yet another battle royale or roguelike.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 02:53:32 pm »
It occurs to me we've done this thread before. But eh, some things never change.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17132
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:13 pm »
Hm, yeah... Wow 7 years ago

Things have got steadily more weird as time has gone on
Yamero~~!

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 03:11:19 pm »

2. The availability of previously Japan-Only games in English seems to have increased a lot. I'm not saying that it's only because of RHDN, but... Anyway, seriously, I feel there have been a lot of translations of games previously only in Japanese to English in the years since.

So, to reference your points and give some thoughts:
1.Agreed, but also the reverse is kinda true as well. Switch for instance already has more than 3000 games. Many of them were first released on Steam and only later ported to Switch - in some cases they sold much better on the latter, a second wind if you will. The quality is another matter, but there's always been shovelware (Hoshi wo Miru Hito, all the stuff by Imagineering and maaany others).

2.There will be many fan-translations still, and inevitably fewer and fewer regional exclusives released. It just doesn't pay off anymore to release games only in one region, seeing how the markets all over the world keep on growing steadily in size, and mostly decent translation is more readily available as well. As such, localization will become even more commonplace with each generation.

3.I have the opposite experience. It's way easier to choose now, because you don't have to wait for some magazine to publish a review or some of your friends to buy it in order to share their experiences. You can just see the user reviews, trailers, videos online etc. Sometimes I wish we had the era of CD demos back, but in terms of convenience this is the best things have ever been. I wasted money back in the 90s/early 2000s quite a few times not really knowing what to buy and just going with something random (sometimes just judging by the cool cover art, only to play something horrible afterwards), but now I no longer have that issue at all.

However, it's true that there are more decent games in each genre that you'll ever be able to play (just check any random list on Wikipedia - and they don't even have all the regional exclusives, usually), so there's no reason to play mediocre ones, or the ones in genres you don't like (I'm not big on sports games/simulation games or stealth games, so I simply skip those by default). And, since you can now know easily what's at least considered good, you can try it on your own and reach your own conclusions as well.