News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: playstation 2 obj image files?  (Read 584 times)

mugiwithguns

• View Profile
playstation 2 obj image files?
« on: July 11, 2020, 08:22:42 pm »
Hello, I recently started tearing apart a ps2 game. I ended up find a couple of afs files. When I extracted the files underneath, I found a bunch of `.obj` files. The game I'm working on is a 2d visual novel so I'm 95% sure that these are flat images. However, I could not find anything online to suggest how I might view or edit them.

Has anyone else ran into `.obj` files before?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: playstation 2 obj image files?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:26:38 am »
For PS1 on up then 2d was often achieved with 3d textures and objects just presented accordingly (put textures face on a screen filling flat cube/cuboid without perspective, though that matters little here, and it is 2d). To that end it might well have been a 3d format.

On the other hand sprites are occasionally known as objects (Object Area Memory and all that) and several PS2 games do things here (often easier to emulate) so maybe.

That said what game is it? It is hard to give any input if we don't know the game (and AFS is too common an archive format to guess).

mugiwithguns

• View Profile
Re: playstation 2 obj image files?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 01:09:06 pm »
I'm working on Lucky Star: Ryōō Gakuen Ōtōsai. I couldn't find anything by the same developer that was already translated. Vridge seems to only have done visual novels that never came out of japan.

Your post gave me a couple of ideas I need to research more. Thank you!