News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translate this Japanese word: 素体  (Read 2067 times)

Tybalt Bryce

• View Profile
Translate this Japanese word: 素体
« on: July 06, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »
Hi. I am having trouble coming up with an english word for 素体 (sotai).

For context, the sentence is: 素体の成長要素を設計するため、精霊力の影響
を決めます。
まず最も強く影響させたい精霊を選んで下さい。(From Langrisser V PSX).

This is taken from the character creation quiz in the beginning where the quiz lady refers to the 'sotai' who is the character you are building. The character in question's name is Sigma, the protagonist of Langrisser V. He was essentially a dead body and now you are in charge of programming his new, artificial soul via the character creation quiz. He was likely created using rune magic.

Later in the game's scenarios, other characters refer to only Sigma as 'sotai' as well. The literal translation is 'prime field' but that wouldn't work b/c English players would not understand that 'prime field' is referring to Sigma. I've come up with 'core component' or 'mainframe' but none seems to fit. The word I am leaning to the most right now is just plain 'unit'.

I've discovered that 'prime field' is a mathematical term and Sigma is also a mathematical symbol (Σ). I am assuming the 'sotai' refers to a modified, reanimated human programmed with advanced abilities. Only Sigma is referred to in this special way. He is one of the only persons who can call Langrisser, the ancient sword. His female counterpart, Lambda, is referred to as 'sotai-girl'. Please help. Thank you.

MandatoryPixel

• View Profile
Re: Translate this Japanese word: 素体
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:53:57 pm »
I don't really know kanji, but since nobody else replied I decided to do some looking around to see if I can help. As far as I can tell, 素 can mean something like "plain", and 体 can mean something like "body" or "corpse". Also, looking up the word on Google, I'm seeing things like dolls and action figures, and when I pair it with other names, like "素体 マリオ" (Mario), I get figures of the character.

So my guess would be something like "empty doll", which the player fills during the character creation. I think "vessel" sounds more natural than "empty doll", so that's what I'd use. I also looked up the Langrisser characters, and I think the mobile game calls both Sigma and Lambda "man-made vessels" as well, so I think that should be it!

Tybalt Bryce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:08:18 pm »
I also play the mobile game and yes I do look for words that it uses. I've considered vessel...and it's a fitting word. I just hope players know what it's referring to.

MiYaku

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 01:31:15 am »
"To plan a factor in the growth of the original body to adulthood, the spiritual power of the deceased influences the decision.
First, please choose the most powerful of the deceased."

I am doing this out of context, so, it may be slightly inaccurate.